why do they treat him like this?

raysmama

when I take my 3 month old son to see family they treat him like as if something is going to happen any min . they don't want me to leave the room because they don't know what to do if something was to happen. then my mother in law keeps asking me will he walk ,talk and all that stuff I told her yes he is normal just stomach problems ( cause he has had no lung problems yet). but she keeps asking me everytime she sees me how do I stop all the nonsence I want them to treat him the same hold him and play with him too.

raysmama

when I take my 3 month old son to see family they treat him like as if something is going to happen any min . they don't want me to leave the room because they don't know what to do if something was to happen. then my mother in law keeps asking me will he walk ,talk and all that stuff I told her yes he is normal just stomach problems ( cause he has had no lung problems yet). but she keeps asking me everytime she sees me how do I stop all the nonsence I want them to treat him the same hold him and play with him too.

raysmama

raysmama

raysmama

Emily65Roses

Have you sat down with them and just educated them? Not to sound like a doctor's office, but if you had some brochures or something. Maybe some pamphlets, something written down that you could reference or give them a copy of, that might help.

Just telling them "he has stomach problems, he's okay" isn't going to make them feel better if they don't know much. Assuming all they've heard if a big scary term like "cystic fibrosis" and a few facts here or there, they might still be in the fog. Sit down and just teach them. Teach and teach and teach, and they may get a better grasp on it. The more they know, the more they'll understand, and the more they'll get used to your son, and lay off.

He's still a baby, so it's still new and scary. My family was all freaked out when I was an infant. I had just had surgery, got this big scary dx, and everyone was confused. As time went on, my parents educated them, and they got used to me, they laid off.

Emily65Roses

Have you sat down with them and just educated them? Not to sound like a doctor's office, but if you had some brochures or something. Maybe some pamphlets, something written down that you could reference or give them a copy of, that might help.

Just telling them "he has stomach problems, he's okay" isn't going to make them feel better if they don't know much. Assuming all they've heard if a big scary term like "cystic fibrosis" and a few facts here or there, they might still be in the fog. Sit down and just teach them. Teach and teach and teach, and they may get a better grasp on it. The more they know, the more they'll understand, and the more they'll get used to your son, and lay off.

He's still a baby, so it's still new and scary. My family was all freaked out when I was an infant. I had just had surgery, got this big scary dx, and everyone was confused. As time went on, my parents educated them, and they got used to me, they laid off.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

robert321

my only suggestion is for you to treat him as normal as possible. as he gets older he'll start crawling and walking and so forth and if they haven't laid off by then that'll get 'em. i agree with the educate them thing, people are afraid of things they don't understand and they don't understand cf so they want you to be there all the time so you can "fix" it if something happens

robert321

my only suggestion is for you to treat him as normal as possible. as he gets older he'll start crawling and walking and so forth and if they haven't laid off by then that'll get 'em. i agree with the educate them thing, people are afraid of things they don't understand and they don't understand cf so they want you to be there all the time so you can "fix" it if something happens

robert321

robert321

robert321

izemmom

I'll never forget how hurt I was when Emily was about your son's age and my SIL refused to babysit (they had taken my older daughter overnight since she was the same age, no big deal...) saying, "Oh no, we'll never take her, I"d be too afraid something would happen." I was crushed and so afraid that Emily wouldn't get to do all the normal stuff that her sister did, including staying overnight at her cousin's house. OK, so was also a little worried that we'd never be able to leave her overnight and never get a "night out"...

But, in time, as she began to craw. and walk, like the previous poster said, and, as they began to understand more about cf, like Emily suggested, they did take her overnight. THey learned to do pt, give enzymes and the nebulizer...they have done it all several times, now.

I still have relatives who think she has CP...even though they see her walking, running and climbing on everything. The best you can do is continue to talk to them, be patient, and love your little guy. THey will, too.

Good luck to you!

izemmom

I'll never forget how hurt I was when Emily was about your son's age and my SIL refused to babysit (they had taken my older daughter overnight since she was the same age, no big deal...) saying, "Oh no, we'll never take her, I"d be too afraid something would happen." I was crushed and so afraid that Emily wouldn't get to do all the normal stuff that her sister did, including staying overnight at her cousin's house. OK, so was also a little worried that we'd never be able to leave her overnight and never get a "night out"...

But, in time, as she began to craw. and walk, like the previous poster said, and, as they began to understand more about cf, like Emily suggested, they did take her overnight. THey learned to do pt, give enzymes and the nebulizer...they have done it all several times, now.

I still have relatives who think she has CP...even though they see her walking, running and climbing on everything. The best you can do is continue to talk to them, be patient, and love your little guy. THey will, too.

Good luck to you!

izemmom

Good luck to you!

izemmom

Good luck to you!

izemmom

Good luck to you!