would you start school again

Emily65Roses

Just pointing out... I don't believe the OP said anything about getting a nursing degree <i>because</i> of the CF. She said "finish" which leads me to believe she had started it previously, perhaps before the CF child appeared. Maybe she just wants to be a nurse.

Emily65Roses

Just pointing out... I don't believe the OP said anything about getting a nursing degree <i>because</i> of the CF. She said "finish" which leads me to believe she had started it previously, perhaps before the CF child appeared. Maybe she just wants to be a nurse.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

JazzysMom

I say go for it. It will be very difficult especially if your child is going thru a rough time healthy wise.

My reasoning (if you want to know lol) is not only to help you get your time which in turn will make you a better person, a better woman & a better Mom, but

it will also show your child that things can be done even at times when it doesnt seem possible or to at least try.

Lightnlife has a point of your child needing you, but I know for ME that I was a much better Mom when I worked. Granted I was the one sick & not my daughter, but still......the point is that my work gave me my intellectual time. It made me feel like a whole person.

I love my daughter. Dont get me wrong. I just also loved working & striving for something outside of my household.

As far as the finances.....if you have had schooling already you know what type of funding is available. I am sure that you wouldnt put such a financial strain on your portfolio that you couldnt handle what your child needs for the CF care.

Good Luck & Hugs....

JazzysMom

I say go for it. It will be very difficult especially if your child is going thru a rough time healthy wise.

My reasoning (if you want to know lol) is not only to help you get your time which in turn will make you a better person, a better woman & a better Mom, but

it will also show your child that things can be done even at times when it doesnt seem possible or to at least try.

Lightnlife has a point of your child needing you, but I know for ME that I was a much better Mom when I worked. Granted I was the one sick & not my daughter, but still......the point is that my work gave me my intellectual time. It made me feel like a whole person.

I love my daughter. Dont get me wrong. I just also loved working & striving for something outside of my household.

As far as the finances.....if you have had schooling already you know what type of funding is available. I am sure that you wouldnt put such a financial strain on your portfolio that you couldnt handle what your child needs for the CF care.

Good Luck & Hugs....

JazzysMom

Good Luck & Hugs....

JazzysMom

Good Luck & Hugs....

JazzysMom

Good Luck & Hugs....

lightNlife

Based on the title of the topic "Would YOU..." I'm going to say no. If I were in the position of the original poster, I absolutely would NOT go back to school to finish a degree I'd started. Here's why:

A child w/CF needs attention from me as a parent. The child will do better having me spend my effort and energy learning how to be the best possible caregiver for his or her individual presentation of the disease.

Going back to school would take time away from the other kids, and use up financial resources that I may need elsewhere down the line for copays and other stuff relating to having a family with 4 kids.

Just as I didn't need to go to culinary school to learn how to prepare a nutritious meal for my family, I don't need to go to nursing school to be able to better deal with a child with CF.

Even w/o having completed a nursing degree, I know there's SO MUCH I'd learn along the way just by being a mom. Most nurses I've interacted with can't even pronounce half my medications, let alone understand CF.

Nothing would be worthwhile enough to me to abandon my young kids in order that I could go back to school. I think it would be selfish to do so. Any personal pursuits and interests of mine would have to take a backseat to giving my kids all the time and attention they deserve. I wouldn't want my kids to think that "what mommy wants to do" is more important than what they as kids need from me.

lightNlife

Based on the title of the topic "Would YOU..." I'm going to say no. If I were in the position of the original poster, I absolutely would NOT go back to school to finish a degree I'd started. Here's why:

A child w/CF needs attention from me as a parent. The child will do better having me spend my effort and energy learning how to be the best possible caregiver for his or her individual presentation of the disease.

Going back to school would take time away from the other kids, and use up financial resources that I may need elsewhere down the line for copays and other stuff relating to having a family with 4 kids.

Just as I didn't need to go to culinary school to learn how to prepare a nutritious meal for my family, I don't need to go to nursing school to be able to better deal with a child with CF.

Even w/o having completed a nursing degree, I know there's SO MUCH I'd learn along the way just by being a mom. Most nurses I've interacted with can't even pronounce half my medications, let alone understand CF.

Nothing would be worthwhile enough to me to abandon my young kids in order that I could go back to school. I think it would be selfish to do so. Any personal pursuits and interests of mine would have to take a backseat to giving my kids all the time and attention they deserve. I wouldn't want my kids to think that "what mommy wants to do" is more important than what they as kids need from me.

lightNlife

lightNlife

lightNlife