would you start school again

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When I first started college, I was accepted to the nursing program, but decided to go elsewhere and got a different degree. When DS was first diagnosed, I thought about maybe going back to school and going into something in the medical field, so I could be more flexible should there be more hospitalizations, sick days, appointments... But, for me with the time and money involved and pretty much having to start over with vacations, sick leave and a new payscale, I decided it wasn't for me. Currently I've got excellent benefits, vacation, comp and sick leave saved up and I'm paid fairly well. I have thought should things change, I could look into doing temp work, which is what I started off doing when I finished college.

When DS was first diagnosed and in the NICU for several weeks, I met several nurses and RTs who did chose their field after a child was diagnosed with a disease. And maybe if I lived in a community where it was a little easier to work on a degree, while still working full time, I might have taken that path, but in my area it's pretty much full time, daytime classes & labs for 2-4 years.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When I first started college, I was accepted to the nursing program, but decided to go elsewhere and got a different degree. When DS was first diagnosed, I thought about maybe going back to school and going into something in the medical field, so I could be more flexible should there be more hospitalizations, sick days, appointments... But, for me with the time and money involved and pretty much having to start over with vacations, sick leave and a new payscale, I decided it wasn't for me. Currently I've got excellent benefits, vacation, comp and sick leave saved up and I'm paid fairly well. I have thought should things change, I could look into doing temp work, which is what I started off doing when I finished college.

When DS was first diagnosed and in the NICU for several weeks, I met several nurses and RTs who did chose their field after a child was diagnosed with a disease. And maybe if I lived in a community where it was a little easier to work on a degree, while still working full time, I might have taken that path, but in my area it's pretty much full time, daytime classes & labs for 2-4 years.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

coltsfan715

I say go for it but with careful consideration of all the aspects involved with your decision.

I personally have CF and both of my parents worked for the majority of my life. My dad was in the military and my mom worked mostly in the medical field - she was an OR tech when she met and married my dad and when I was about 5 she stopped taking call (because she wanted to spend more time with me) and she started just working in a private docs office as a private tech. Now she works as an office manager and biller in a docs office and has for years.

I personally do not think that having a working parent makes a child neglected or less cared for, but I do think that you need to consider a few things with ANY job you select. There just happen to be other issues with nursing.

I would make sure that you choose to work in an area that won't put your child at more risk. Meaning if you want to be a nurse GREAT! but maybe don't apply for a job on a pulmonary floor where you are around the respiratory infections and such all day to bring that home to your child. Be a nurse and maybe work with heart patients or something not so infectious for your child.

Also think of benefits, vacations, sick leave and proximity of the hospitals or facilities you MAY end up working in (once you start working) and how close/far they are from your home and your childs hospital and docs office. My mom always had a job within 10 minutes of the hospital I was admitted to as a kid. It was perfect, she could work during the day and come over at lunch or take several breaks to come see me and still do her job. She could spend the morning with me if I wanted and leave for an hour if I was with therapy and so on.

There are ways around everything I would just evaluate your situation and weigh all of your options and gather info - like you are doing.

All in all I think going back to school is a fantastic idea for anyone if you can work it out.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

I say go for it but with careful consideration of all the aspects involved with your decision.

I personally have CF and both of my parents worked for the majority of my life. My dad was in the military and my mom worked mostly in the medical field - she was an OR tech when she met and married my dad and when I was about 5 she stopped taking call (because she wanted to spend more time with me) and she started just working in a private docs office as a private tech. Now she works as an office manager and biller in a docs office and has for years.

I personally do not think that having a working parent makes a child neglected or less cared for, but I do think that you need to consider a few things with ANY job you select. There just happen to be other issues with nursing.

I would make sure that you choose to work in an area that won't put your child at more risk. Meaning if you want to be a nurse GREAT! but maybe don't apply for a job on a pulmonary floor where you are around the respiratory infections and such all day to bring that home to your child. Be a nurse and maybe work with heart patients or something not so infectious for your child.

Also think of benefits, vacations, sick leave and proximity of the hospitals or facilities you MAY end up working in (once you start working) and how close/far they are from your home and your childs hospital and docs office. My mom always had a job within 10 minutes of the hospital I was admitted to as a kid. It was perfect, she could work during the day and come over at lunch or take several breaks to come see me and still do her job. She could spend the morning with me if I wanted and leave for an hour if I was with therapy and so on.

There are ways around everything I would just evaluate your situation and weigh all of your options and gather info - like you are doing.

All in all I think going back to school is a fantastic idea for anyone if you can work it out.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey