You'll all like this.

Rutgersnyy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>coltsfan715</b></i>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Sam123 I thought this was the one place I could come and have to explain my condition to no one........</end quote></div>

Hey Brandon .. if it makes you feel ANY better. I had a guy come on here - he was NOT a CFer but the brother to a CFer - and tell me that I need to stop being lazy and get off my butt and exercise and thus proceed to get into EVERYTHING he was able to do in the day and how if you put your mind to it you can - and if you get out of your warm cozy bed lol. That was said within the past few months too - so mylung function was still at about 30% - even though at the time I thought it was 40% (my old doc had been giving me the wrong numbers).

It just goes to show that just because people frequent this site doesn't mean they have insight into how straining and demanding having CF CAN be. It isn't like that for all people - at least not at present, it may get there eventually but who knows I hope it doesn't, but know it probably will for most.

Take Care and Happy Holidays,

Lindsey

GOOD LUCK with Transplant!!</end quote></div>

Getting off my butt works for me. Exericise works 100x better than any treatment.

If you put your mind to anything you CAN do it. Nowadays we are taught that you will never reach you goal so just don't try. I don't subscribe to that theory and I am living proof even if you don't reach your goal you can reach satisfaction. I recently ran a half marathon and was gratified and unsatisfied at the same time, I was dissapointed in my time and the fact I didn't eat enough bananas beforehand.

I have also been told I don't look handicapped and I take that as a compliment because not everyone knows what CF is. How much would you know about it if you didn't have it?

One time I popped a few enzymes and the person looked at me and asked, "Are they steroids"? I was flattered because she thought I looked good enough to be on steroids.

I realize not everyone knows as much about CF as I do and most don't even know what it is, but it doesn't bother me. Fatalists bother me. But I am in the minority on this issue.

Rutgersnyy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>coltsfan715</b></i>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Sam123 I thought this was the one place I could come and have to explain my condition to no one........</end quote></div>

Hey Brandon .. if it makes you feel ANY better. I had a guy come on here - he was NOT a CFer but the brother to a CFer - and tell me that I need to stop being lazy and get off my butt and exercise and thus proceed to get into EVERYTHING he was able to do in the day and how if you put your mind to it you can - and if you get out of your warm cozy bed lol. That was said within the past few months too - so mylung function was still at about 30% - even though at the time I thought it was 40% (my old doc had been giving me the wrong numbers).

It just goes to show that just because people frequent this site doesn't mean they have insight into how straining and demanding having CF CAN be. It isn't like that for all people - at least not at present, it may get there eventually but who knows I hope it doesn't, but know it probably will for most.

Lindsey

Getting off my butt works for me. Exericise works 100x better than any treatment.

If you put your mind to anything you CAN do it. Nowadays we are taught that you will never reach you goal so just don't try. I don't subscribe to that theory and I am living proof even if you don't reach your goal you can reach satisfaction. I recently ran a half marathon and was gratified and unsatisfied at the same time, I was dissapointed in my time and the fact I didn't eat enough bananas beforehand.

I have also been told I don't look handicapped and I take that as a compliment because not everyone knows what CF is. How much would you know about it if you didn't have it?

One time I popped a few enzymes and the person looked at me and asked, "Are they steroids"? I was flattered because she thought I looked good enough to be on steroids.

I realize not everyone knows as much about CF as I do and most don't even know what it is, but it doesn't bother me. Fatalists bother me. But I am in the minority on this issue.

Rutgersnyy

Lindsey

sue35

I understand what you are saying Adam but the whole, "you can do anything you put your mind to" doesn't really work when it comes to terminal illness. I know many people on this site, myself included, who truly do "put their mind to" getting their lung function higher and it just doesn't work. Hence, the whole progressive disease thing.

So no, no everyone can just put their mind to it.

sue35

I understand what you are saying Adam but the whole, "you can do anything you put your mind to" doesn't really work when it comes to terminal illness. I know many people on this site, myself included, who truly do "put their mind to" getting their lung function higher and it just doesn't work. Hence, the whole progressive disease thing.

sue35

Rutgersnyy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>sue35</b></i>

So no, no everyone can just put their mind to it.</end quote></div>

I have the terminal illness. However, I will not use that as an excuse to be weaker or sicker than a normal lung function person. I have worked very hard to keep my lung function in the 90s to the point where it is harder for me not to work out.

You might be different but my experience with people who say they "can't" is that they really mean "difficult" and they use any excuse for why they are are not happy. These people either use their upbringing, someone being mean or some other cop-out for their unhappiness.

I have many CF symptoms: I cough a lot to get up the mucus, sneeze many times in a row, chronic stuffy nose and have to take my enzymes and meds just like everyone else. I have gotten healthier as I have gotten older do to more strenuous exercise, especially now that I am living on my own.

CF is an obstacle to my goals not an excuse to not fulfill them.

Rutgersnyy

I have the terminal illness. However, I will not use that as an excuse to be weaker or sicker than a normal lung function person. I have worked very hard to keep my lung function in the 90s to the point where it is harder for me not to work out.

You might be different but my experience with people who say they "can't" is that they really mean "difficult" and they use any excuse for why they are are not happy. These people either use their upbringing, someone being mean or some other cop-out for their unhappiness.

I have many CF symptoms: I cough a lot to get up the mucus, sneeze many times in a row, chronic stuffy nose and have to take my enzymes and meds just like everyone else. I have gotten healthier as I have gotten older do to more strenuous exercise, especially now that I am living on my own.

Rutgersnyy

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Rutgersnyy</b></i>

CF is an obstacle to my goals not an excuse to not fulfill them.</end quote></div>

Enjoy it now....no offense, but CF IS progresssive & at some point you will lose the control & ability that you NOW have to maintain. UNTIL that point I dont think you truly understand.....I hope your current status remains for a long time!

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Rutgersnyy</b></i>

CF is an obstacle to my goals not an excuse to not fulfill them.</end quote></div>

Enjoy it now....no offense, but CF IS progresssive & at some point you will lose the control & ability that you NOW have to maintain. UNTIL that point I dont think you truly understand.....I hope your current status remains for a long time!

JazzysMom

Emily65Roses

I hope you didn't think I was attacking you personally, I couldn't tell. But I wasn't.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>sam123</b></i>
if u r looked at funny, then that is human nature, no one knows u have CF unless u tell them</end quote></div>

I just have something to say to this: You're right, no one knows unless we tell them. CF isn't like a wheelchair, that you see instantly. <i>However</i>, if you have a sticker, people should give the benefit of the doubt and keep their mouths shut. I understand a lot of people steal granny's sticker, etc. But not *every* disability is visible, and that's what most of us get pissed at. Just because I don't <b>look</b> sick doesn't mean I'm not.

Basically... people shouldn't assume. And that's what they're doing by yelling at us when we get out of cars and "look" healthy.

Emily65Roses

I hope you didn't think I was attacking you personally, I couldn't tell. But I wasn't.

if u r looked at funny, then that is human nature, no one knows u have CF unless u tell them</end quote></div>

I just have something to say to this: You're right, no one knows unless we tell them. CF isn't like a wheelchair, that you see instantly. <i>However</i>, if you have a sticker, people should give the benefit of the doubt and keep their mouths shut. I understand a lot of people steal granny's sticker, etc. But not *every* disability is visible, and that's what most of us get pissed at. Just because I don't <b>look</b> sick doesn't mean I'm not.

Basically... people shouldn't assume. And that's what they're doing by yelling at us when we get out of cars and "look" healthy.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Good for you, that you can exercise and stay in the 90 range. A lot of us can't, and no I don't just mean it's "difficult." I mean we CAN'T. Period. After bacteria takes over, there's little you can do to get your PFTs back up to "normal range." You can be in the best shape possible, but to get back to "normal" condition is a bit much. CF is progressive, and one day... despite all your efforts, you <u>will</u> fall under it, and then you'll see what some of us are saying.

Emily65Roses

Good for you, that you can exercise and stay in the 90 range. A lot of us can't, and no I don't just mean it's "difficult." I mean we CAN'T. Period. After bacteria takes over, there's little you can do to get your PFTs back up to "normal range." You can be in the best shape possible, but to get back to "normal" condition is a bit much. CF is progressive, and one day... despite all your efforts, you <u>will</u> fall under it, and then you'll see what some of us are saying.

Emily65Roses