Search results

1. M

M. Abscesses and dentists in the news

M. Abscessus risk in dentist offices in news.. http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/09/30/495802487/infection-outbreak-shines-light-on-water-risks-at-dentists-offices
  2. M

Love, CF and transplants

The Modern Love column of the New York Times last week has a personal essay by someone with CF, who received a transplant and talks about the experience and it's impact on his marriage. I thought it was interesting and really well written. When Love Isn’t as Simple as Standing by Your Man...
  3. M

Eye pain from coughing ?

Last week, I either caught something nasty from the ER (I was there for a family member) or the stress of it all made me get sick. Either way, I've had a fever and one of those itchy convulsive coughs since about a day and a half later. The kind of cough where if you are (finally) sleeping, you...
  4. M

NSAIDs inhibit ovulation

I think this is worth posting in the Pregnancy forum, as people with CF are often put on a regimen of Ibuprofen. It was not one of the three NSAIDs tested, but it's perhaps relevant nonetheless, especially at the CF dose. And even for CFers not trying to conceive, this may help understand your...
  5. M

I thought you were a smoker

Do you get this comment when you say things like "I'm not contagious, I have an asthma-like condition/cf/a lung disease"? I recently got that comment when I felt I had to reassure someone I was in close quarters with for a long time that i didnt have the flu. It makes sense that the person...
  6. M

Vitamin D advice

I got some bloodwork back and my D level is 15 (normal is 30-100, according to my dr). I have been taking supplements on an off over the year. I guess I need to be on and on. :) I'm wondering if anyone has a brand of Vit D supplement or a food they recommend. Since I have non-CF...
  7. M

NYTimes cover story today, dying with teens

NYTimes: Teenagers Face Early Death, on Their Terms http://nyti.ms/1FXHRd6 This article is about teens facing the end of their lives. It's upsetting and maybe not for everyone to read, but I think worth sharing. The article talks about how kids aren't legally part of decision making regarding...
  8. M

Making exercise a habit

This NYTimes mini article is about making exercise a habit. In the comment section that follows the article, there are all sorts of interesting and inspirational ideas. I think people with CF tend to develop tremendous discipline because of their treatment regimens, so a lot of the talk of...
  9. M

Link between TB and diabetes in news

Unlikely Marriage Of Diseases: TB And Diabetes Form A 'Co-Epidemic' http://n.pr/1sL7Xnj I thought this was interesting, and it made me look into a link between CFRD and NTMs. And there is an association in the under 18 group according to this study. I thought this might be worth parents being...
  10. M

Vit E in olive & sunflower oil may help lungs

while vit E in corn, canola, soybean oil may harm lungs. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/29/vitamin-e-may-harm-or-help-your-lung-function/?_php=true&_type=blogs&ref=health&_r=0
  11. M

exercise video for 12 yr old boy

Can people make recommendations for an exercise video/program that might appeal to a middle school age boy? PXsomething? Insanity? I've heard of these things, but don't really know much about them. It's too icy to run outside safely right now, and jogging has not appealed to my son thus far...
  12. M

genetic chimerism

Reading LL's great response in the thread: http://forum.cysticfibrosis.com/threads/69580-New-to-CF-world-looking-for-diagnosis made me remember an article I'd read last May about genetic chimerism--how we may not be as strictly a combination of our two biological parents' genetics. There are...
  13. M

Guess that pain...

Three of the past four days, I've woken up with a sharp pain under the lower part of my right rib cage, more toward my back than front. I was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar and knows what it is. It's not my usual lung-related pain, because it's not worse when I inhale...
  14. M

Green smoothies, also bacteria article

I made my first ever green smoothie (frozen kale, frozen berries in the blender) yesterday. I had a maybe 12 oz glass of it yesterday and another today. I'm thinking these may not be the right thing for me because I've had liquid #2s last evening and today. No cramping or bad gas though. For...
  15. M

exercise fiends plz read

Those of you who exercise heavily, whether weightlifting or cardio/running etc., can you tell me if your DLCO (a parameter on PFTs) is high? I had PFTs at the drs office yesterday and my DLCO is abnormally high (and higher than last year). This is good news in the sense that DLCO is a marker...
  16. M

Mycobacterium Abscessus in news

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21965088 Previously thought only caught from water/soil, DNA testing of bacteria samples in CF patients reveals it can be transferred from patient to patient. (passing this along from a post I read on the Bronchiectasis R Us forum)
  17. M

candida kefyr

Anyone else grow this? Last time i was sick, my dr had me do a culture. I respond to orals, but because my last last ct scan had a bunch of nodules/opacities, we're kinda wondering if MAC or aspergillus will eventually pop up. I've grown m. Gordonae here and there, and "rare yeasts" which...
  18. M

postural hypotension anyone?? (big drop in bp from lying/sitting to standing)

Has anyone seen a cardiologist for postural hypotension? Was it related to your lungs? My gp referred me to a cardiologist after I did poorly on some bp tests in his office and bloodwork showed I'm adequately hydrated/nutriented. I've a hx of passing out and the past six months, lots of...
  19. M

gatorade ingredient in the news

(brominated vegetable oil, not allowed in Europe or Japan) The article mentions a petition. I thought this might be worth posting since Gatorade and other electrolyte drinks are probably used by the CF community more than the general population...
  20. M

FEF25-75 Pre & Post IBUPROFEN

Some of you out there are doing PFTs at home and are able to get numbers for FEF25-75. Yesterday, when demo'ing out a portable spirometer at the cysticfibrosis.com home office, I got FEF25-75 numbers that were more than 20 percentage points better than what I get at home on the same machine or...