A great sterilizer!!

TestifyToLove

I don't think the point is that the Germ Guardian is inherently bad but that it does not sterilize. It dries, not sterilizes. And, at $50, I'm confused why the dry cycle on your dishwasher wouldn't dry stuff just as well.

There's a huge difference between drying and sterilizing. And, dry heat takes 1.5 hours to sterilize. That's scientific fact, not personal opinions.

If you're buying the Germ Guardian to dry your equipment, then it might work great (seems to be debatable since you aren't supposed to put wet things in it in the first place). But, if you are buying it to sterilize your equipment, then you've just wasted your money AND been given a false sense of security. And, given that the OP says she washes in hot, soapy water and then uses the GG, she's skipping a step that DOES actually sterilize because she's under the mistaken impression that the GG is doing that step for her, when its not.

If you ask your CF clinic whether the GG is okay to use, then the answer is going to be yes. It dries. It doesn't harm. Its okay. But, ask them if it STERILIZES if that is the function you intend to use it for. And, have them check their science books before they answer. Dry heat doesn't sterilize quickly. Its a s-l-o-w process. I've been involved in enough homebirths where you sterilize the equipment in the oven to know you need hours to fully sterilize that stuff. If you need a fast sterilization, you put it in boilin water not the oven for dry heat.

Incidentally, as far as putting any CF clinic as the ultimate authority, not a good idea. Our son's last CF clinic never masked kids, gave him Psuedamonas and never properly treated it and still to this DAY encourages the CF kids to participate in social groups to know and interact with each other...face to face and without masks. CF clinics are made up of humans, with human flaws.

TestifyToLove

I don't think the point is that the Germ Guardian is inherently bad but that it does not sterilize. It dries, not sterilizes. And, at $50, I'm confused why the dry cycle on your dishwasher wouldn't dry stuff just as well.

There's a huge difference between drying and sterilizing. And, dry heat takes 1.5 hours to sterilize. That's scientific fact, not personal opinions.

If you're buying the Germ Guardian to dry your equipment, then it might work great (seems to be debatable since you aren't supposed to put wet things in it in the first place). But, if you are buying it to sterilize your equipment, then you've just wasted your money AND been given a false sense of security. And, given that the OP says she washes in hot, soapy water and then uses the GG, she's skipping a step that DOES actually sterilize because she's under the mistaken impression that the GG is doing that step for her, when its not.

If you ask your CF clinic whether the GG is okay to use, then the answer is going to be yes. It dries. It doesn't harm. Its okay. But, ask them if it STERILIZES if that is the function you intend to use it for. And, have them check their science books before they answer. Dry heat doesn't sterilize quickly. Its a s-l-o-w process. I've been involved in enough homebirths where you sterilize the equipment in the oven to know you need hours to fully sterilize that stuff. If you need a fast sterilization, you put it in boilin water not the oven for dry heat.

Incidentally, as far as putting any CF clinic as the ultimate authority, not a good idea. Our son's last CF clinic never masked kids, gave him Psuedamonas and never properly treated it and still to this DAY encourages the CF kids to participate in social groups to know and interact with each other...face to face and without masks. CF clinics are made up of humans, with human flaws.

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

<br />
<br />There's a huge difference between drying and sterilizing. And, dry heat takes 1.5 hours to sterilize. That's scientific fact, not personal opinions.
<br />
<br />If you're buying the Germ Guardian to dry your equipment, then it might work great (seems to be debatable since you aren't supposed to put wet things in it in the first place). But, if you are buying it to sterilize your equipment, then you've just wasted your money AND been given a false sense of security. And, given that the OP says she washes in hot, soapy water and then uses the GG, she's skipping a step that DOES actually sterilize because she's under the mistaken impression that the GG is doing that step for her, when its not.
<br />
<br />If you ask your CF clinic whether the GG is okay to use, then the answer is going to be yes. It dries. It doesn't harm. Its okay. But, ask them if it STERILIZES if that is the function you intend to use it for. And, have them check their science books before they answer. Dry heat doesn't sterilize quickly. Its a s-l-o-w process. I've been involved in enough homebirths where you sterilize the equipment in the oven to know you need hours to fully sterilize that stuff. If you need a fast sterilization, you put it in boilin water not the oven for dry heat.
<br />
<br />Incidentally, as far as putting any CF clinic as the ultimate authority, not a good idea. Our son's last CF clinic never masked kids, gave him Psuedamonas and never properly treated it and still to this DAY encourages the CF kids to participate in social groups to know and interact with each other...face to face and without masks. CF clinics are made up of humans, with human flaws.

flatfordl

Our dishwasher does not dry well enough. It also leaves a residue in the pari nebs that stops up the small opening where the air comes through.

But someone said the oven works well...I never thought of that.

As far as our CF clinc not knowing what they are talking about...wow! We have a wonderful clinic that I trust very much. Of course parents always know more than caregivers, they should. My husband and I are very aggressive about our daughters treatment and care so is our clinic.

I hope you still aren't going to that clinic!

flatfordl

Our dishwasher does not dry well enough. It also leaves a residue in the pari nebs that stops up the small opening where the air comes through.

As far as our CF clinc not knowing what they are talking about...wow! We have a wonderful clinic that I trust very much. Of course parents always know more than caregivers, they should. My husband and I are very aggressive about our daughters treatment and care so is our clinic.

flatfordl

flatfordl

flatfordl

<br />
<br />But someone said the oven works well...I never thought of that.
<br />
<br />As far as our CF clinc not knowing what they are talking about...wow! We have a wonderful clinic that I trust very much. Of course parents always know more than caregivers, they should. My husband and I are very aggressive about our daughters treatment and care so is our clinic.
<br />
<br />I hope you still aren't going to that clinic!
<br />
<br />

TestifyToLove

1. *We* never went to that clinic. Ds was adopted from the foster-care system. And no, he does not go to that clinic anymore. When we adopted him, he was moved cross-country.

2. I never said your clinic was wrong in anyway. I said you are asking your clinic the wrong question. GG is not harmful to your equipment nor your child. So in that respect, yes its fine to use to dry your equipment. And yes drying your equipment prevents bacteria and spores from growing in a moist environment. The question is does GG sterilize and the answer is NO it does NOT. Unless you are using a temperature so high that it would melt your plastic equipment, dry heat requires 1.5 hours to sterilize. Since your plactics aren't melting in the GG and its not running for the required 1.5 hours it does NOT sterilize your equipment.

Its not a matter of your clinic being wrong, by 2 different issues being discussed. You're using this as a sterilizer. You're skipping any other well proven sterilization process to use this. And, its not sterilizing your equipment the way you think it is. This isn't a matter of opinion. Its a matter of science. 30 minutes of dry heat won't sterilize, no matter HOW you acheive that dry heat.

Yes, 1.5 hours in your oven at 160 degrees will sterilize AND dry your equipment. 30 minutes in the GG will only dry it. And, 15 minutes in a steam sterilizer will sterilize your equipment but leave it wet to air dry.

Your thread title says you found a great sterilizer. The answer is you found a great dryer. But, you aren't sterilizing. You are drying. They are different processes. Doesn't make it wrong to use the GG to dry things. But, please don't misunderstand that you are not sterlizing your equipment this way. If you are counting on the GG to sterilize, you are going to be disappointed at whatever point you realize its not doing that.

TestifyToLove

1. *We* never went to that clinic. Ds was adopted from the foster-care system. And no, he does not go to that clinic anymore. When we adopted him, he was moved cross-country.

2. I never said your clinic was wrong in anyway. I said you are asking your clinic the wrong question. GG is not harmful to your equipment nor your child. So in that respect, yes its fine to use to dry your equipment. And yes drying your equipment prevents bacteria and spores from growing in a moist environment. The question is does GG sterilize and the answer is NO it does NOT. Unless you are using a temperature so high that it would melt your plastic equipment, dry heat requires 1.5 hours to sterilize. Since your plactics aren't melting in the GG and its not running for the required 1.5 hours it does NOT sterilize your equipment.

Its not a matter of your clinic being wrong, by 2 different issues being discussed. You're using this as a sterilizer. You're skipping any other well proven sterilization process to use this. And, its not sterilizing your equipment the way you think it is. This isn't a matter of opinion. Its a matter of science. 30 minutes of dry heat won't sterilize, no matter HOW you acheive that dry heat.

Yes, 1.5 hours in your oven at 160 degrees will sterilize AND dry your equipment. 30 minutes in the GG will only dry it. And, 15 minutes in a steam sterilizer will sterilize your equipment but leave it wet to air dry.

Your thread title says you found a great sterilizer. The answer is you found a great dryer. But, you aren't sterilizing. You are drying. They are different processes. Doesn't make it wrong to use the GG to dry things. But, please don't misunderstand that you are not sterlizing your equipment this way. If you are counting on the GG to sterilize, you are going to be disappointed at whatever point you realize its not doing that.

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

<br />
<br />2. I never said your clinic was wrong in anyway. I said you are asking your clinic the wrong question. GG is not harmful to your equipment nor your child. So in that respect, yes its fine to use to dry your equipment. And yes drying your equipment prevents bacteria and spores from growing in a moist environment. The question is does GG sterilize and the answer is NO it does NOT. Unless you are using a temperature so high that it would melt your plastic equipment, dry heat requires 1.5 hours to sterilize. Since your plactics aren't melting in the GG and its not running for the required 1.5 hours it does NOT sterilize your equipment.
<br />
<br />Its not a matter of your clinic being wrong, by 2 different issues being discussed. You're using this as a sterilizer. You're skipping any other well proven sterilization process to use this. And, its not sterilizing your equipment the way you think it is. This isn't a matter of opinion. Its a matter of science. 30 minutes of dry heat won't sterilize, no matter HOW you acheive that dry heat.
<br />
<br />Yes, 1.5 hours in your oven at 160 degrees will sterilize AND dry your equipment. 30 minutes in the GG will only dry it. And, 15 minutes in a steam sterilizer will sterilize your equipment but leave it wet to air dry.
<br />
<br />Your thread title says you found a great sterilizer. The answer is you found a great dryer. But, you aren't sterilizing. You are drying. They are different processes. Doesn't make it wrong to use the GG to dry things. But, please don't misunderstand that you are not sterlizing your equipment this way. If you are counting on the GG to sterilize, you are going to be disappointed at whatever point you realize its not doing that.

GriffinsMama

Ewwww. I can't understand that putting nebs in the dishwasher is still recommended. I get the willies just thinking about that. Food particles and all. Even with a "sani-wash" setting. Doesn't that seem odd to anyone else but me? If it works it works, but I'm just saying.....

GriffinsMama

Ewwww. I can't understand that putting nebs in the dishwasher is still recommended. I get the willies just thinking about that. Food particles and all. Even with a "sani-wash" setting. Doesn't that seem odd to anyone else but me? If it works it works, but I'm just saying.....

GriffinsMama

GriffinsMama

GriffinsMama