Airline Travel and Meds

wildchild

most airlines also have a page on their website telling you their policies and preferences when dealing with meds. When my BF came to see me the first time by air, he happened to be on IV meds. He printed off the page, made sure he followed their suggestions, and had the sheet with him in case there was any dispute. With all the new policies the airlines are following these days it doesn't hurt to go out of your way to play by their rules.

The following is from American Airlines:

"All customers are entitled to bring one carry-on item with them into the cabin. We recommend that you include any medications you require in your carry-on luggage. You should NEVER put your medications in checked luggage. Our aircraft do not have refrigerators onboard. Also, if you use needles to inject medication, checkpoint security policy is that you must have in your possession medication requiring the use of a needle or syringe that has a professionally printed label identifying the medication or a manufacturer's name or pharmaceutical label."

And for more generalized guidelines, here's a link to the TSA page on Traveling with Meds: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm
">http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travele...ecialneeds/index.shtm
</a>

wildchild

most airlines also have a page on their website telling you their policies and preferences when dealing with meds. When my BF came to see me the first time by air, he happened to be on IV meds. He printed off the page, made sure he followed their suggestions, and had the sheet with him in case there was any dispute. With all the new policies the airlines are following these days it doesn't hurt to go out of your way to play by their rules.

"All customers are entitled to bring one carry-on item with them into the cabin. We recommend that you include any medications you require in your carry-on luggage. You should NEVER put your medications in checked luggage. Our aircraft do not have refrigerators onboard. Also, if you use needles to inject medication, checkpoint security policy is that you must have in your possession medication requiring the use of a needle or syringe that has a professionally printed label identifying the medication or a manufacturer's name or pharmaceutical label."

And for more generalized guidelines, here's a link to the TSA page on Traveling with Meds: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm
</a>

wildchild

</a>

wildchild

</a>

wildchild

</a>

wildchild

</a>

Liza

Julie, have you tried using ice cream in place of applesauce? Just a thought since most airports you can find soft serve icecream. I really don't think you will have a problem with the applesauce going through security though. Oh, or how about babyfood? Fruit, like banana or the baby applesauce. Because it's in a baby food container it most likely wouldn't get a second glance. Again though, I don't think you will have a problem.

Liza

Julie, have you tried using ice cream in place of applesauce? Just a thought since most airports you can find soft serve icecream. I really don't think you will have a problem with the applesauce going through security though. Oh, or how about babyfood? Fruit, like banana or the baby applesauce. Because it's in a baby food container it most likely wouldn't get a second glance. Again though, I don't think you will have a problem.

Liza

Liza

Liza

Liza

aspur

We are soon to fly to Orlando from New York and I am concerned about the Airlines (Airtran) policy on taking my daughters vest as a carry on. I can not get anyone at customer service to commit either way and each time I call I get a difference answer from "its ok if its ok with security" to a " no you can't bring it on the plane either as carry on or check in" . I spoke and emailed the TSA (National Airport Security) who can only give me a web page link that mentions many different medical appliances but is not specific to the Respritech vest. I am, traveling with four children and obviously do not want the added pressure of arguing with a ticket counter rep at the airport. Any advice would be helpful , has anyone been turned away at check in?

aspur

We are soon to fly to Orlando from New York and I am concerned about the Airlines (Airtran) policy on taking my daughters vest as a carry on. I can not get anyone at customer service to commit either way and each time I call I get a difference answer from "its ok if its ok with security" to a " no you can't bring it on the plane either as carry on or check in" . I spoke and emailed the TSA (National Airport Security) who can only give me a web page link that mentions many different medical appliances but is not specific to the Respritech vest. I am, traveling with four children and obviously do not want the added pressure of arguing with a ticket counter rep at the airport. Any advice would be helpful , has anyone been turned away at check in?

aspur

aspur

aspur

pjspiegle

Personal experience with flying with little ones is to be more concerned with what is in their pockets than the meds. As long as I carried a copy of all the scripts, no issues.

However, just a few months after 911 we were all flying to Orlando and wouldn't you know it, they selected my son with CF to screen, he was only like 6. It was like a reinactment of a scene from Dennis the Meanace. I was literally waiting for him to pull a frog and the kitchen sink out of his pockets, no kidding! We were so concerned with the nebulizer, vest, CF meds, and such, that it never occurred to me, my husband, or my mother to check all the kids and their pockets and he had a game boy, games for it, change, a rock, ear plugs, key chains, cars, and I don't remember what all else he had and they would not let me touch him or the stuff. I wassn't sure whether I should be trying to explain, crying, or laughing, its funny now but it wasn't when it was happening. I was also really frustrated that they picked a child and then wouldn't allow a parent to help take his shoes off and hold the stuff from his pockets for him or touch him while they were doing their search.

Just a note to remind you not to forget to check your kids pockets, they are more likely to cause an issue than the meds. With the exception of the nebulizer which seems to trip them up for some reason. After his diagnosis with CFRD I thought the syringes and insulin was going to be an issue and was wrong again, it was the nebulizer that tripped them up when we went to Mexico.

Tips, take scripts for everything CF related, carry all meds in your carry on, and check everyones pockets before leaving for the airport and you should be just fine.

We have flown several times as has my friend and neither of us have ever had a problem taking the vest as either a check on or carry on. As long as you have a script from your doctor stating it is medically necessary, you shouldn't have a problem, or at least we never have. The nebulizer seems to be more of an issue because of something with pressures with it and the airplane, but as long as we had a script, they have let us take it with us on the plane.

pjspiegle

Personal experience with flying with little ones is to be more concerned with what is in their pockets than the meds. As long as I carried a copy of all the scripts, no issues.

However, just a few months after 911 we were all flying to Orlando and wouldn't you know it, they selected my son with CF to screen, he was only like 6. It was like a reinactment of a scene from Dennis the Meanace. I was literally waiting for him to pull a frog and the kitchen sink out of his pockets, no kidding! We were so concerned with the nebulizer, vest, CF meds, and such, that it never occurred to me, my husband, or my mother to check all the kids and their pockets and he had a game boy, games for it, change, a rock, ear plugs, key chains, cars, and I don't remember what all else he had and they would not let me touch him or the stuff. I wassn't sure whether I should be trying to explain, crying, or laughing, its funny now but it wasn't when it was happening. I was also really frustrated that they picked a child and then wouldn't allow a parent to help take his shoes off and hold the stuff from his pockets for him or touch him while they were doing their search.

Just a note to remind you not to forget to check your kids pockets, they are more likely to cause an issue than the meds. With the exception of the nebulizer which seems to trip them up for some reason. After his diagnosis with CFRD I thought the syringes and insulin was going to be an issue and was wrong again, it was the nebulizer that tripped them up when we went to Mexico.

Tips, take scripts for everything CF related, carry all meds in your carry on, and check everyones pockets before leaving for the airport and you should be just fine.

We have flown several times as has my friend and neither of us have ever had a problem taking the vest as either a check on or carry on. As long as you have a script from your doctor stating it is medically necessary, you shouldn't have a problem, or at least we never have. The nebulizer seems to be more of an issue because of something with pressures with it and the airplane, but as long as we had a script, they have let us take it with us on the plane.

pjspiegle