Airline Travel and Meds

pjspiegle

Personal experience with flying with little ones is to be more concerned with what is in their pockets than the meds. As long as I carried a copy of all the scripts, no issues.

However, just a few months after 911 we were all flying to Orlando and wouldn't you know it, they selected my son with CF to screen, he was only like 6. It was like a reinactment of a scene from Dennis the Meanace. I was literally waiting for him to pull a frog and the kitchen sink out of his pockets, no kidding! We were so concerned with the nebulizer, vest, CF meds, and such, that it never occurred to me, my husband, or my mother to check all the kids and their pockets and he had a game boy, games for it, change, a rock, ear plugs, key chains, cars, and I don't remember what all else he had and they would not let me touch him or the stuff. I wassn't sure whether I should be trying to explain, crying, or laughing, its funny now but it wasn't when it was happening. I was also really frustrated that they picked a child and then wouldn't allow a parent to help take his shoes off and hold the stuff from his pockets for him or touch him while they were doing their search.

Just a note to remind you not to forget to check your kids pockets, they are more likely to cause an issue than the meds. With the exception of the nebulizer which seems to trip them up for some reason. After his diagnosis with CFRD I thought the syringes and insulin was going to be an issue and was wrong again, it was the nebulizer that tripped them up when we went to Mexico.

Tips, take scripts for everything CF related, carry all meds in your carry on, and check everyones pockets before leaving for the airport and you should be just fine.

We have flown several times as has my friend and neither of us have ever had a problem taking the vest as either a check on or carry on. As long as you have a script from your doctor stating it is medically necessary, you shouldn't have a problem, or at least we never have. The nebulizer seems to be more of an issue because of something with pressures with it and the airplane, but as long as we had a script, they have let us take it with us on the plane.

pjspiegle

Personal experience with flying with little ones is to be more concerned with what is in their pockets than the meds. As long as I carried a copy of all the scripts, no issues.
<br />
<br />However, just a few months after 911 we were all flying to Orlando and wouldn't you know it, they selected my son with CF to screen, he was only like 6. It was like a reinactment of a scene from Dennis the Meanace. I was literally waiting for him to pull a frog and the kitchen sink out of his pockets, no kidding! We were so concerned with the nebulizer, vest, CF meds, and such, that it never occurred to me, my husband, or my mother to check all the kids and their pockets and he had a game boy, games for it, change, a rock, ear plugs, key chains, cars, and I don't remember what all else he had and they would not let me touch him or the stuff. I wassn't sure whether I should be trying to explain, crying, or laughing, its funny now but it wasn't when it was happening. I was also really frustrated that they picked a child and then wouldn't allow a parent to help take his shoes off and hold the stuff from his pockets for him or touch him while they were doing their search.
<br />
<br />Just a note to remind you not to forget to check your kids pockets, they are more likely to cause an issue than the meds. With the exception of the nebulizer which seems to trip them up for some reason. After his diagnosis with CFRD I thought the syringes and insulin was going to be an issue and was wrong again, it was the nebulizer that tripped them up when we went to Mexico.
<br />
<br />Tips, take scripts for everything CF related, carry all meds in your carry on, and check everyones pockets before leaving for the airport and you should be just fine.
<br />
<br />We have flown several times as has my friend and neither of us have ever had a problem taking the vest as either a check on or carry on. As long as you have a script from your doctor stating it is medically necessary, you shouldn't have a problem, or at least we never have. The nebulizer seems to be more of an issue because of something with pressures with it and the airplane, but as long as we had a script, they have let us take it with us on the plane.

T

Terry

LOL, not to get political, but this is so ridiculous that they are searching 6 year old boys, when not one child was involved with 9/11.

I am laughing at the picture you described, but at the same time it saddens me that the children are being put through this.

At least we are being fair...I guess.

This topic is very useful for me, though, incase Riss does go to Florida. I would have never thought to check her pockets, or prepare her for the possibility that she might have to explain what she intends to do with her game boy. (lol, she gets checked here in the morning before heading to school because she is famous for putting all kinds of nonsense in her pockets/book bag. One morning she had a ziploc bag full of sand, which she had no idea how it got there, in her coat pocket. She definitely could be mistaken for a terrorist).

T

Terry

LOL, not to get political, but this is so ridiculous that they are searching 6 year old boys, when not one child was involved with 9/11.

I am laughing at the picture you described, but at the same time it saddens me that the children are being put through this.

This topic is very useful for me, though, incase Riss does go to Florida. I would have never thought to check her pockets, or prepare her for the possibility that she might have to explain what she intends to do with her game boy. (lol, she gets checked here in the morning before heading to school because she is famous for putting all kinds of nonsense in her pockets/book bag. One morning she had a ziploc bag full of sand, which she had no idea how it got there, in her coat pocket. She definitely could be mistaken for a terrorist).

T

Terry

T

Terry

T

Terry

<br />
<br />I am laughing at the picture you described, but at the same time it saddens me that the children are being put through this.
<br />
<br />At least we are being fair...I guess.
<br />
<br />This topic is very useful for me, though, incase Riss does go to Florida. I would have never thought to check her pockets, or prepare her for the possibility that she might have to explain what she intends to do with her game boy. (lol, she gets checked here in the morning before heading to school because she is famous for putting all kinds of nonsense in her pockets/book bag. One morning she had a ziploc bag full of sand, which she had no idea how it got there, in her coat pocket. She definitely could be mistaken for a terrorist).

dyza

When we flew back from Orlando, I had a frozen bottle of water in the cool bag, figureing it would be fine. They had me remove the bottle and said I could replace it from the ice machine the other side of security.
Craig

dyza

When we flew back from Orlando, I had a frozen bottle of water in the cool bag, figureing it would be fine. They had me remove the bottle and said I could replace it from the ice machine the other side of security.
Craig

dyza

Craig

dyza

Craig

dyza

<br />Craig

beccasmom

I have flown several times with my daughter who is 22 months. Baby food in baby food containers is allowed on the plane as is formula in baby bottles but not in water bottles.

beccasmom

I have flown several times with my daughter who is 22 months. Baby food in baby food containers is allowed on the plane as is formula in baby bottles but not in water bottles.

beccasmom

beccasmom

beccasmom

aspur

Thanks everyone, some great advice. I'll be sure to have a covering doctors letter and I'll make sure I check all the kids pockets!

aspur

Thanks everyone, some great advice. I'll be sure to have a covering doctors letter and I'll make sure I check all the kids pockets!

aspur