Amnio test said my baby is positive for CF

LouLou

Congrats on your little peanut. Little boys are the best. It's a secret mommies of boys know :)

When I was little and in the hospital multiple times with pneumonia and diagnosed with cf the doctors told my parents to enoy the time they had with me that I probably wouldn't make it to adulthood. Now here I am all grown up, happily married, working full time, contributing to our society and economy, fundraising for cf and A MOMMY OF A 6 MO OLD!! I'm so happy to be alive.

We actually were in a similar situation because we found out that Isaac, our son, has cf.

With regards to "reading so much stuff." Remember that a lot of what is out there is out of date. Many of parents in the family section write of how their children's doctors speak of them likely living until their 50-60's and beyond. You see the kids of today are getting such great medical advancements compared to what I had as a kid. And even so I'm doing quite well.

Do you know what mutations you and your husband carry?

Although it is your decision of what to do with this knowledge you've gained and whether or not you'll abort the pregnancy, just know God has given you this miracle baby because he knows you two belong together, that you'll be the best mom to him he could have and that he has a purpose for being on this earth alive!

LouLou

Congrats on your little peanut. Little boys are the best. It's a secret mommies of boys know :)

When I was little and in the hospital multiple times with pneumonia and diagnosed with cf the doctors told my parents to enoy the time they had with me that I probably wouldn't make it to adulthood. Now here I am all grown up, happily married, working full time, contributing to our society and economy, fundraising for cf and A MOMMY OF A 6 MO OLD!! I'm so happy to be alive.

We actually were in a similar situation because we found out that Isaac, our son, has cf.

With regards to "reading so much stuff." Remember that a lot of what is out there is out of date. Many of parents in the family section write of how their children's doctors speak of them likely living until their 50-60's and beyond. You see the kids of today are getting such great medical advancements compared to what I had as a kid. And even so I'm doing quite well.

Although it is your decision of what to do with this knowledge you've gained and whether or not you'll abort the pregnancy, just know God has given you this miracle baby because he knows you two belong together, that you'll be the best mom to him he could have and that he has a purpose for being on this earth alive!

LouLou

LouLou

LouLou

S

semperfiohana

i also want to add that in 21 years i've only had iv antibiotics a total of 4 times. and i just finished up my 4th one on thursday. and before that i hadn't had them in two years. just have to do maintance in between.

S

semperfiohana

i also want to add that in 21 years i've only had iv antibiotics a total of 4 times. and i just finished up my 4th one on thursday. and before that i hadn't had them in two years. just have to do maintance in between.

S

semperfiohana

S

semperfiohana

S

semperfiohana

julie

Welcome to the website. You will find a lot of support her!

I am the wife of a man who has CF. He was diagnosed when he was about 18 months due to "failure to thrive" (he wasn't gaining weight). Life expectancy when he was diagnosed was about 18 years. So most of his life he was told he'd be lucky to graduate high school.

His childhood with CF wasn't without incidence, he had to do treatments and chest PT and was sick an handful of times.

He is now 27 years old, a college graduate (as many on this site are!!) and the father of 3 children. He still does medications, chest PT (with a vest now though) and has been sick a few times in the last few years. We live what I would call a "normal" life.

I'm sorry you've just recieved this news, please let us know if there is anyway we can help

julie

I am the wife of a man who has CF. He was diagnosed when he was about 18 months due to "failure to thrive" (he wasn't gaining weight). Life expectancy when he was diagnosed was about 18 years. So most of his life he was told he'd be lucky to graduate high school.

His childhood with CF wasn't without incidence, he had to do treatments and chest PT and was sick an handful of times.

He is now 27 years old, a college graduate (as many on this site are!!) and the father of 3 children. He still does medications, chest PT (with a vest now though) and has been sick a few times in the last few years. We live what I would call a "normal" life.

I'm sorry you've just recieved this news, please let us know if there is anyway we can help

julie

julie

julie

Alyssa

I need to get going to bed so this has to be a quick answer... just wanted to say that this is in no way your fault - it is simple genetics that get passed on, you have no control over it.

As far as seeing your baby die in your arms or suffering everyday - while those things are possible, they are not probable. CF can be very different for everyone - just wanted to mention that my kids were not diagnosed until they were teenagers - my son was only diagnosed because we wanted to find out if he was a carrier after his sister was diagnosed. He was 18 years old at the time. He didn't show any treatable symptoms until 21 years old -- he is far from a baby in my arms and he does not suffer and is not in pain.... perhaps that day might come but at even at age 21 it hasn't even come close yet. My daughter has had symptoms since age 5 but remains very healthy -- she is now 19 years old, living on her own, working and going to college. Neither have ever been hospitalized or needed more than oral antibiotics.

I'm very sorry for all you are going through right now - do take some time to let it all sink in and educate yourself. This site is a great place to learn. Also be careful about a lot of what you read elsewhere because there is a lot of info out there that will sound alarming and/or is out of date and <b>may not ever apply to your child.</b>

Alyssa

I need to get going to bed so this has to be a quick answer... just wanted to say that this is in no way your fault - it is simple genetics that get passed on, you have no control over it.

As far as seeing your baby die in your arms or suffering everyday - while those things are possible, they are not probable. CF can be very different for everyone - just wanted to mention that my kids were not diagnosed until they were teenagers - my son was only diagnosed because we wanted to find out if he was a carrier after his sister was diagnosed. He was 18 years old at the time. He didn't show any treatable symptoms until 21 years old -- he is far from a baby in my arms and he does not suffer and is not in pain.... perhaps that day might come but at even at age 21 it hasn't even come close yet. My daughter has had symptoms since age 5 but remains very healthy -- she is now 19 years old, living on her own, working and going to college. Neither have ever been hospitalized or needed more than oral antibiotics.

I'm very sorry for all you are going through right now - do take some time to let it all sink in and educate yourself. This site is a great place to learn. Also be careful about a lot of what you read elsewhere because there is a lot of info out there that will sound alarming and/or is out of date and <b>may not ever apply to your child.</b>

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa