anyone else in my boat-mucus question for CFer's

Juliet

The way I understand it is that Pulmozyme is an enzyme which breaks down the long proteins and DNA chains from killed infections. These proteins are left in the mucus after our immune system has attacked bacteria and killed them. Because they're long chains they thicken the mucus. Pulmozyme basically cuts the proteins into smaller pieces, effectively reducing the viscosity of the mucus.

However the enzymes need time to penetrate the mucus and take effect. That is a several hour long process and the pulmozyme dosing is set so that there is sufficient amount to work over a longer course of time - like over many hours (not minutes, like Xopenex).

I think taking pulmozyme right before HTS only allows it to barely penetrate the upper layer which you're going to get out easily! Ideally Pulmozyme is more effective if it hangs around in the lungs over a longer time penetrating the stuck and thicker mucus even deeper. Then the next morning after HTS the stuff Pulmozyme loosened over the prior day can be cleared out.

I also think that HTS thins the mucus. My understanding is that it works by creating a saltier environment. Naturally through osmosis, water is then moved to the areas the HTS penetrated to dilute the salt, in effect thinning the mucus, making it move, tickle and invoking a coughing response. There can also be coughing due to irritation of course.

Anyways, that's the rationale as it was explained to me and IMHO it makes sense. You should bring up the question of the sequencing with your doctor. ~Juliet

Juliet

The way I understand it is that Pulmozyme is an enzyme which breaks down the long proteins and DNA chains from killed infections. These proteins are left in the mucus after our immune system has attacked bacteria and killed them. Because they're long chains they thicken the mucus. Pulmozyme basically cuts the proteins into smaller pieces, effectively reducing the viscosity of the mucus.

However the enzymes need time to penetrate the mucus and take effect. That is a several hour long process and the pulmozyme dosing is set so that there is sufficient amount to work over a longer course of time - like over many hours (not minutes, like Xopenex).

I think taking pulmozyme right before HTS only allows it to barely penetrate the upper layer which you're going to get out easily! Ideally Pulmozyme is more effective if it hangs around in the lungs over a longer time penetrating the stuck and thicker mucus even deeper. Then the next morning after HTS the stuff Pulmozyme loosened over the prior day can be cleared out.

I also think that HTS thins the mucus. My understanding is that it works by creating a saltier environment. Naturally through osmosis, water is then moved to the areas the HTS penetrated to dilute the salt, in effect thinning the mucus, making it move, tickle and invoking a coughing response. There can also be coughing due to irritation of course.

Anyways, that's the rationale as it was explained to me and IMHO it makes sense. You should bring up the question of the sequencing with your doctor. ~Juliet

Juliet

Juliet

Juliet

<br />
<br />However the enzymes need time to penetrate the mucus and take effect. That is a several hour long process and the pulmozyme dosing is set so that there is sufficient amount to work over a longer course of time - like over many hours (not minutes, like Xopenex).
<br />
<br />I think taking pulmozyme right before HTS only allows it to barely penetrate the upper layer which you're going to get out easily! Ideally Pulmozyme is more effective if it hangs around in the lungs over a longer time penetrating the stuck and thicker mucus even deeper. Then the next morning after HTS the stuff Pulmozyme loosened over the prior day can be cleared out.
<br />
<br />I also think that HTS thins the mucus. My understanding is that it works by creating a saltier environment. Naturally through osmosis, water is then moved to the areas the HTS penetrated to dilute the salt, in effect thinning the mucus, making it move, tickle and invoking a coughing response. There can also be coughing due to irritation of course.
<br />
<br />Anyways, that's the rationale as it was explained to me and IMHO it makes sense. You should bring up the question of the sequencing with your doctor. ~Juliet

jdprecious

Juliet-

How do you feel about doing Pulmo in the early am, say 8am, and then HTS late at night say 8pm? Wouldn't that still accomplish the same as you are doing? That is how we do it, so just wanted to clarify...

jdprecious

Juliet-

How do you feel about doing Pulmo in the early am, say 8am, and then HTS late at night say 8pm? Wouldn't that still accomplish the same as you are doing? That is how we do it, so just wanted to clarify...

jdprecious

Juliet-

jdprecious

Juliet-

jdprecious

Juliet-
<br />
<br />How do you feel about doing Pulmo in the early am, say 8am, and then HTS late at night say 8pm? Wouldn't that still accomplish the same as you are doing? That is how we do it, so just wanted to clarify...

bobbiex3

i have been wonderin the same thing. i just never think to ask. i always have a coughin fit, then start throwin up shortly after the fit. its not everyday or every fit. but happens more these days then ever before that i can remember. it depends on how much i've eat that day, but its usually just huge balls of whiteish mucus. i've wondered where its comin from, i didnt know if it was comin from my lungs of my stomach from swallowing so much. now that i think of it, it usually happens on the days that my cough is worse and more productive. it is exhausting, but i usually just go on about myself.

bobbiex3

i have been wonderin the same thing. i just never think to ask. i always have a coughin fit, then start throwin up shortly after the fit. its not everyday or every fit. but happens more these days then ever before that i can remember. it depends on how much i've eat that day, but its usually just huge balls of whiteish mucus. i've wondered where its comin from, i didnt know if it was comin from my lungs of my stomach from swallowing so much. now that i think of it, it usually happens on the days that my cough is worse and more productive. it is exhausting, but i usually just go on about myself.

bobbiex3

bobbiex3

bobbiex3

M

MCGrad2006

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I was told to do pulmo before saline. The pulmo thins it out, and the saline promotes coughing. </end quote></div>

I was also told to do it this way. I do alb, pulmo, hts. Obviously, we know albuterol opens the airways, which then the pulmozyme can thin the mucus, making it even easier to get out when you do hts right after. IMO that is what makes sense. I have ALWAAYS been told to do pulmo RIGHT before any sort of physical activity or pt (and in my opinion...hts is like either activity or pt). And since I have been doing it this way, it has been very effective for me. Before when I used to do just pulmo (before hts came out) it would do nothing for me, never made me cough and I NEVER coughed anything up...so this is a huge improvement.

If you have more questions or want to get a general survey or what others do, start a new topic...I would like to see how people do it and their rationale. And I am sorry to have hijacked your topic <i>MISST</i>.

M

MCGrad2006

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I was told to do pulmo before saline. The pulmo thins it out, and the saline promotes coughing. </end quote></div>

I was also told to do it this way. I do alb, pulmo, hts. Obviously, we know albuterol opens the airways, which then the pulmozyme can thin the mucus, making it even easier to get out when you do hts right after. IMO that is what makes sense. I have ALWAAYS been told to do pulmo RIGHT before any sort of physical activity or pt (and in my opinion...hts is like either activity or pt). And since I have been doing it this way, it has been very effective for me. Before when I used to do just pulmo (before hts came out) it would do nothing for me, never made me cough and I NEVER coughed anything up...so this is a huge improvement.

If you have more questions or want to get a general survey or what others do, start a new topic...I would like to see how people do it and their rationale. And I am sorry to have hijacked your topic <i>MISST</i>.

M

MCGrad2006

M

MCGrad2006

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I was told to do pulmo before saline. The pulmo thins it out, and the saline promotes coughing. </end quote>

M

MCGrad2006

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I was told to do pulmo before saline. The pulmo thins it out, and the saline promotes coughing. </end quote>
<br />
<br />I was also told to do it this way. I do alb, pulmo, hts. Obviously, we know albuterol opens the airways, which then the pulmozyme can thin the mucus, making it even easier to get out when you do hts right after. IMO that is what makes sense. I have ALWAAYS been told to do pulmo RIGHT before any sort of physical activity or pt (and in my opinion...hts is like either activity or pt). And since I have been doing it this way, it has been very effective for me. Before when I used to do just pulmo (before hts came out) it would do nothing for me, never made me cough and I NEVER coughed anything up...so this is a huge improvement.
<br />
<br />If you have more questions or want to get a general survey or what others do, start a new topic...I would like to see how people do it and their rationale. And I am sorry to have hijacked your topic <i>MISST</i>.