Bi-Polar disorder and Cystic Fibrosis

EnergyGal

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/reprint/149/4/574a
">http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/reprint/149/4/574a
</a>
I typed into Google Cystic Fibrosis and Bi polar and found this article.

EnergyGal

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/reprint/149/4/574a
</a>

EnergyGal

</a>

lightNlife

That article is 15 years old. It has since been demonstrated that Lithium should NOT be used to treat bipolar in CF. Lithium is a salt, and does more harm than good with the sweat chlorides in pwCF. The article briefly mentioned (and we should take note) that there is a decrease in pulmonary function associated with using Lithium.

Effectively treating bipolar requires continual medications. For this reason, Lithium is not a good long term solution.

lightNlife

That article is 15 years old. It has since been demonstrated that Lithium should NOT be used to treat bipolar in CF. Lithium is a salt, and does more harm than good with the sweat chlorides in pwCF. The article briefly mentioned (and we should take note) that there is a decrease in pulmonary function associated with using Lithium.

Effectively treating bipolar requires continual medications. For this reason, Lithium is not a good long term solution.

lightNlife

treehugger

I would be interested in hearing what drugs bipolar CF patients are prescribed. I found that my psych doctor didn't know much about cf. I agree-lithium presents problems with cf. A side effect of seroquel is diabetes. Other drugs can cause liver problems. I tried Lamictal for bipolar II but found I got a rash fairly easily and was concerned that my rash likliehood would increase with antibiotics. In addition, I read that suicides are more common with bipolar II because people with II have more depression than hypomania.

Thanks,
Treehugger

treehugger

I would be interested in hearing what drugs bipolar CF patients are prescribed. I found that my psych doctor didn't know much about cf. I agree-lithium presents problems with cf. A side effect of seroquel is diabetes. Other drugs can cause liver problems. I tried Lamictal for bipolar II but found I got a rash fairly easily and was concerned that my rash likliehood would increase with antibiotics. In addition, I read that suicides are more common with bipolar II because people with II have more depression than hypomania.

Thanks,
Treehugger

treehugger

Thanks,
Treehugger

serendipity730

I am not bipolar, but have struggled with depression since childhood and have been on antidepressants for 7 years. I think the reason there are a fair amount of people with CF and bipolar (or any other mental health issure) is because we deal wtih a LOT! Most mental illness is someone inherited and there is a "threshold" effect. This means that if you are exposed to a enough stress you will develop the mental health problem. So that is my two cents. Here's another two - I think that the prevalence of mental health problems (depression, bipolar disorder) does not receive enough attention in CF. Although I may not have been receptive to it at first, I wish I had had the opportunity to speak to a therapist or someone else neutral about some of my CF - related issues before it became a more acute problem.

serendipity730

I am not bipolar, but have struggled with depression since childhood and have been on antidepressants for 7 years. I think the reason there are a fair amount of people with CF and bipolar (or any other mental health issure) is because we deal wtih a LOT! Most mental illness is someone inherited and there is a "threshold" effect. This means that if you are exposed to a enough stress you will develop the mental health problem. So that is my two cents. Here's another two - I think that the prevalence of mental health problems (depression, bipolar disorder) does not receive enough attention in CF. Although I may not have been receptive to it at first, I wish I had had the opportunity to speak to a therapist or someone else neutral about some of my CF - related issues before it became a more acute problem.

serendipity730

batteredNfried

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>serendipity730</b></i>
Here's another two - I think that the prevalence of mental health problems (depression, bipolar disorder) does not receive enough attention in CF. Although I may not have been receptive to it at first, I wish I had had the opportunity to speak to a therapist or someone else neutral about some of my CF - related issues before it became a more acute problem.</end quote></div>

I was resistant to seeing a mental health professional at first. It took years to get the right diagnosis (bipolar) especially since there were other things going on that made the diagnosis difficult to pinpoint.

Issues of depression are common in people with chronic illness. In many ways, CFers need help for appropriately grieving the losses that they endure. My personal experience has been that talk therapy, in combination with prescription medications has been good. As with everything with CF, there is no one solution for everyone.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>
I would be interested in hearing what drugs bipolar CF patients are prescribed. I found that my psych doctor didn't know much about cf. I agree-lithium presents problems with cf. A side effect of seroquel is diabetes. Other drugs can cause liver problems. I tried Lamictal for bipolar II but found I got a rash fairly easily and was concerned that my rash likliehood would increase with antibiotics. In addition, I read that suicides are more common with bipolar II because people with II have more depression than hypomania. </end quote></div>

I am in the process of compiling a lot of information and resources about the mental health aspects of chronic illness, particularly as it pertains to CF. I'll be sure to post the information once it's available, as I think this is a VERY timely and important topic for adults w/CF.

batteredNfried

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>serendipity730</b></i>
Here's another two - I think that the prevalence of mental health problems (depression, bipolar disorder) does not receive enough attention in CF. Although I may not have been receptive to it at first, I wish I had had the opportunity to speak to a therapist or someone else neutral about some of my CF - related issues before it became a more acute problem.</end quote></div>

I was resistant to seeing a mental health professional at first. It took years to get the right diagnosis (bipolar) especially since there were other things going on that made the diagnosis difficult to pinpoint.

Issues of depression are common in people with chronic illness. In many ways, CFers need help for appropriately grieving the losses that they endure. My personal experience has been that talk therapy, in combination with prescription medications has been good. As with everything with CF, there is no one solution for everyone.

I would be interested in hearing what drugs bipolar CF patients are prescribed. I found that my psych doctor didn't know much about cf. I agree-lithium presents problems with cf. A side effect of seroquel is diabetes. Other drugs can cause liver problems. I tried Lamictal for bipolar II but found I got a rash fairly easily and was concerned that my rash likliehood would increase with antibiotics. In addition, I read that suicides are more common with bipolar II because people with II have more depression than hypomania. </end quote></div>

I am in the process of compiling a lot of information and resources about the mental health aspects of chronic illness, particularly as it pertains to CF. I'll be sure to post the information once it's available, as I think this is a VERY timely and important topic for adults w/CF.

batteredNfried

lightNlife

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>treehugger</b></i>

Thanks,

Treehugger</end quote></div>

I'm not proposing that this is a solution by any means, but a lot of what I'm reading suggests that vitamin B12 may be a useful option. Vitamin B12 is the only water-soluble vitamin that CFers tend to be be insufficient in. Mega-doses of vitamin B12 are useful for improving and stabilizing mood. It also helps with anxiety, and interestingly enough, calms down mania associated with bipolar.

Since it's a vitamin, there is less to worry about in terms of side effects. One of the positive side effects is that vitamin B12 may stimulate appetite. Good news for those of use who are in "nutritional failure" status.

Those who are pancreatic insufficient will have a difficult time absorbing B12. People who need it as part of their treatment usually with have to have it injected in order to make sure it gets into the body in the proper concentration to do any good.

I hope that's helpful!