bonfire ?

Nightwriter

I hate to put a damper on your summer fun but...

Having C.F., I know what it is to long to do things that everybody else is doing, but let me tell you, some things are just not worth it. I don't go to barbecues or bonfires anymore, because I hate being sick. And then I miss out on much more than a weenie roast.

The facts: Smoke from theses fires produce fine particulate matter that penetrate deep into the lungs causing serious damage. And it is particularly dangerous for children because they have smaller lungs and their immune systems are less mature. Also, the lungs are the only organ in the body that has no protective covering. What you breathe goes directly to the lungs. A general rule is: If you can smell the smoke, it can harm you.

I'm pro-BBQ, pro-Boyscouts, pro-smores. But I'm also for keeping kids healthy with less exacerbations. If you really still want to attend a bonfire (and who doesn't), I would put a charcoal particulate mask on the child. I guess if it's for an infant, it'll be a really teenie tiny one.

If I knew how to link articles about smoke and lung damage, I would.

Nightwriter

Having C.F., I know what it is to long to do things that everybody else is doing, but let me tell you, some things are just not worth it. I don't go to barbecues or bonfires anymore, because I hate being sick. And then I miss out on much more than a weenie roast.

The facts: Smoke from theses fires produce fine particulate matter that penetrate deep into the lungs causing serious damage. And it is particularly dangerous for children because they have smaller lungs and their immune systems are less mature. Also, the lungs are the only organ in the body that has no protective covering. What you breathe goes directly to the lungs. A general rule is: If you can smell the smoke, it can harm you.

I'm pro-BBQ, pro-Boyscouts, pro-smores. But I'm also for keeping kids healthy with less exacerbations. If you really still want to attend a bonfire (and who doesn't), I would put a charcoal particulate mask on the child. I guess if it's for an infant, it'll be a really teenie tiny one.

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

<br />
<br />Having C.F., I know what it is to long to do things that everybody else is doing, but let me tell you, some things are just not worth it. I don't go to barbecues or bonfires anymore, because I hate being sick. And then I miss out on much more than a weenie roast.
<br />
<br />The facts: Smoke from theses fires produce fine particulate matter that penetrate deep into the lungs causing serious damage. And it is particularly dangerous for children because they have smaller lungs and their immune systems are less mature. Also, the lungs are the only organ in the body that has no protective covering. What you breathe goes directly to the lungs. A general rule is: If you can smell the smoke, it can harm you.
<br />
<br />I'm pro-BBQ, pro-Boyscouts, pro-smores. But I'm also for keeping kids healthy with less exacerbations. If you really still want to attend a bonfire (and who doesn't), I would put a charcoal particulate mask on the child. I guess if it's for an infant, it'll be a really teenie tiny one.
<br />
<br />If I knew how to link articles about smoke and lung damage, I would.

MargaritaChic

I asked our CF doctor the same thing.

He said that it is fine for Emma to be around it occassionally. Just try to keep her out of the direct line of the smoke.

He also suggested that if we atend a bonfire, that we change and shower afterwards so that she is not continuously breathing it when we hold her.

Our children need to lead as normal as a life as we can allow them to. Sometimes I feel as if people too often say "no they can't do that".

Do we have to be more aware of what our choldren are doing? Yes. But do we have to avoid everything? No. They need to be allowed to live!

MargaritaChic

He said that it is fine for Emma to be around it occassionally. Just try to keep her out of the direct line of the smoke.

He also suggested that if we atend a bonfire, that we change and shower afterwards so that she is not continuously breathing it when we hold her.

Our children need to lead as normal as a life as we can allow them to. Sometimes I feel as if people too often say "no they can't do that".

Do we have to be more aware of what our choldren are doing? Yes. But do we have to avoid everything? No. They need to be allowed to live!

MargaritaChic

MargaritaChic

MargaritaChic

<br />
<br />He said that it is fine for Emma to be around it occassionally. Just try to keep her out of the direct line of the smoke.
<br />
<br />He also suggested that if we atend a bonfire, that we change and shower afterwards so that she is not continuously breathing it when we hold her.
<br />
<br />Our children need to lead as normal as a life as we can allow them to. Sometimes I feel as if people too often say "no they can't do that".
<br />
<br />Do we have to be more aware of what our choldren are doing? Yes. But do we have to avoid everything? No. They need to be allowed to live!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I guess we tend to avoid them because at my inlaws lake home, the wind is always shifting and swirling around. Usually fairly breezy on their side of the lake. Plus, they rarely use dry wood and my nephews are typical "fire bugs" and are adding leaves and things to make the flames bigger.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I guess we tend to avoid them because at my inlaws lake home, the wind is always shifting and swirling around. Usually fairly breezy on their side of the lake. Plus, they rarely use dry wood and my nephews are typical "fire bugs" and are adding leaves and things to make the flames bigger.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Kenziesmom

We still go camping and have fires, Kenzie still gets to roast marshmallows and be a kid, but we just make her sit where the smoke isn't going and if the wind switches so do we. She enjoys camping and above all else I want her to have a life of enjoyment not just treatments and doctor apps. Like someone hear said, just be smart about the things you do and you should be ok.

Kenziesmom

We still go camping and have fires, Kenzie still gets to roast marshmallows and be a kid, but we just make her sit where the smoke isn't going and if the wind switches so do we. She enjoys camping and above all else I want her to have a life of enjoyment not just treatments and doctor apps. Like someone hear said, just be smart about the things you do and you should be ok.

Kenziesmom

Kenziesmom

Kenziesmom