Breastfeeding

JosephinesMommy

Sorry, but I needed to vent my frustrations to someone who understands what I am going through.

We just had our CF Clinic appointment today. We have been going every three weeks since Bug (Josephine) came home from the NICU. Bug has been steadily gaining weight. She came home mid Novemeber at 7lbs, today (she will be 3 months on the 28th) she weighed 10lbs 6oz and is over 24inches long! She is long and thin! Her height is in the 75th % and her weight is in the 25th% but her height to weight doesn't register. Her daddy and I were both long thin babies and he is 6'4 and I am 5' 8. I have been exclusively breastfeeding Bug and including one "fortified" bottle a day. She HATES the bottle. It is a stuggle to get her to eat it. She will just eat enough to satify the hunger pangs and then she will refuse to eat anymore. Some days she will eat all 5oz but mostly she only eats 2-3 and then wants to BF in an hour or so afterwards. Today at the clinic I was told to increase her to getting 3 bottles a day. This is so hard. So now I have to make a bottle, feed her, offer the breast after and then pump and hope to God I get milk out. I, luckily, have a freezer full of milk from her hospital stay when she wasn't allowed to eat so I have milk to give her, but I feel as though I will run out and then I will have to formula feed which I DO NOT want to do. I never imagined that this would be my life, and I know that there are a lot of other battles that will be a lot worse than this one, but I want to give my daughter what is best for her and I know that breastmilk is best. I am feeling like giving up... I HATE CF!

Sorry for the vent, but thank you for reading!

JosephinesMommy

Sorry, but I needed to vent my frustrations to someone who understands what I am going through.

We just had our CF Clinic appointment today. We have been going every three weeks since Bug (Josephine) came home from the NICU. Bug has been steadily gaining weight. She came home mid Novemeber at 7lbs, today (she will be 3 months on the 28th) she weighed 10lbs 6oz and is over 24inches long! She is long and thin! Her height is in the 75th % and her weight is in the 25th% but her height to weight doesn't register. Her daddy and I were both long thin babies and he is 6'4 and I am 5' 8. I have been exclusively breastfeeding Bug and including one "fortified" bottle a day. She HATES the bottle. It is a stuggle to get her to eat it. She will just eat enough to satify the hunger pangs and then she will refuse to eat anymore. Some days she will eat all 5oz but mostly she only eats 2-3 and then wants to BF in an hour or so afterwards. Today at the clinic I was told to increase her to getting 3 bottles a day. This is so hard. So now I have to make a bottle, feed her, offer the breast after and then pump and hope to God I get milk out. I, luckily, have a freezer full of milk from her hospital stay when she wasn't allowed to eat so I have milk to give her, but I feel as though I will run out and then I will have to formula feed which I DO NOT want to do. I never imagined that this would be my life, and I know that there are a lot of other battles that will be a lot worse than this one, but I want to give my daughter what is best for her and I know that breastmilk is best. I am feeling like giving up... I HATE CF!

JosephinesMommy

JosephinesMommy

JosephinesMommy

<br />
<br />We just had our CF Clinic appointment today. We have been going every three weeks since Bug (Josephine) came home from the NICU. Bug has been steadily gaining weight. She came home mid Novemeber at 7lbs, today (she will be 3 months on the 28th) she weighed 10lbs 6oz and is over 24inches long! She is long and thin! Her height is in the 75th % and her weight is in the 25th% but her height to weight doesn't register. Her daddy and I were both long thin babies and he is 6'4 and I am 5' 8. I have been exclusively breastfeeding Bug and including one "fortified" bottle a day. She HATES the bottle. It is a stuggle to get her to eat it. She will just eat enough to satify the hunger pangs and then she will refuse to eat anymore. Some days she will eat all 5oz but mostly she only eats 2-3 and then wants to BF in an hour or so afterwards. Today at the clinic I was told to increase her to getting 3 bottles a day. This is so hard. So now I have to make a bottle, feed her, offer the breast after and then pump and hope to God I get milk out. I, luckily, have a freezer full of milk from her hospital stay when she wasn't allowed to eat so I have milk to give her, but I feel as though I will run out and then I will have to formula feed which I DO NOT want to do. I never imagined that this would be my life, and I know that there are a lot of other battles that will be a lot worse than this one, but I want to give my daughter what is best for her and I know that breastmilk is best. I am feeling like giving up... I HATE CF!
<br />
<br />Sorry for the vent, but thank you for reading!

TestifyToLove

You are not getting the best breastfeeding information.

First yes, they are looking for 1/2lb weight gain per week. And, she's running about 1/4lb weight gain per week. Now, I'll be honest. I had 2 baby girls who gained at 1/4lb per week consistently and it was not a problem. But, they weren't long. And, they didn't have CF, where they are going to take the weight gain issues much more seriously.

So, you probably do need to supplement. But, how you are doing that is not the best way. In fact, how they are telling you to do this will sabotage your breastfeeding relationship and land her on formula.

First, are you nursing on demand? By that I mean, anytime she shows any interest in sucking, are you offering breast first and foremost? If you are home with her, I strongly encourage you to get skin to skin. If you have a sling, put her under your shirt in the sling and carry her that way. Or, if you can sit down with her and skip a shirt even better. This by far is the best way to encourage her to eat. Get rid of pacifiers and let her use you to pacify. Even if she's using non-nutritive sucking, she's still getting milk this way. Make sure you offer the breast until she lets go and not based upon any time limits. Throw out the clock and do this by her schedule, its the only way to ensure she can get enough from you.

I would also recommend you do what is called block feeding. That means you offer only one breast for 2-3 hours before switching to the other side. Each time you start on a breast that wasn't being used for awhile, you get foremilk. Foremilk is great for hydration. Its not as good for getting fat into the baby. When you block feed, you increase the amount of hindmilk getting to baby, which is rich in fat and nutrition. I realize your breasts are going to feel 'empty', but its the feeling is not reflective of what is really going on in there. Breastmilk is produced directly from the blood. As the baby sucks, it triggers the breast to make more milk and you get another let-down. A breast is only truly empty for a baby when you run out of blood. It may be empty for a pump, but a pump is not a baby and will never function as well nor as effeciently as a baby will.

Lastly, you may need to supplement. But, I would NOT do this with a bottle. The preferred method would be a lact-aid or Supplemental Nursing System. Its a bag that hangs from your neck and tubing that runs down into the baby's mouth while the baby nurses. You can supplement all the supplementation the doctors want via this system. But, by using this instead of a bottle it has 2 distinct advantages. First, it continues to trigger your breasts to produce milk, which might get her to a point where she doesn't require the supplementation at all Second, it will prevent her from developing an aversion to the breasts and preferring bottles and thus refusing to nurse.

You can get a lact-aid online or at a local lactation store. If you can't access one, then the second option is to use a cup for feeding instead of a bottle. It won't trigger the milk production in you, but it will prevent her from getting frustrated that you supply the juice slower than a bottle.

If you are still needing support, tap into La Leche League International. www.llli.org I guarantee you your local leader can hunt down someone who was successful at breastfeeding a CF chid to hook you up with. And, I guarantee you they can help you accomplish the weight gain issue the CF center is in arms about with a better rate of preserving your nursing relationship and improving it versus giving up as the CF center has done on you.

If you need any support or aren't sure where to find things locally, please don't hesitate to PM me and I'll be happy to help you get support so you can accomplish this. I have been faced with being told to stop breastfeeding before, for reasons other than CF. But, I've learned how to fight for what I know is best for my babies and breastmilk is best for babies, especially CF babies.

TestifyToLove

First yes, they are looking for 1/2lb weight gain per week. And, she's running about 1/4lb weight gain per week. Now, I'll be honest. I had 2 baby girls who gained at 1/4lb per week consistently and it was not a problem. But, they weren't long. And, they didn't have CF, where they are going to take the weight gain issues much more seriously.

So, you probably do need to supplement. But, how you are doing that is not the best way. In fact, how they are telling you to do this will sabotage your breastfeeding relationship and land her on formula.

First, are you nursing on demand? By that I mean, anytime she shows any interest in sucking, are you offering breast first and foremost? If you are home with her, I strongly encourage you to get skin to skin. If you have a sling, put her under your shirt in the sling and carry her that way. Or, if you can sit down with her and skip a shirt even better. This by far is the best way to encourage her to eat. Get rid of pacifiers and let her use you to pacify. Even if she's using non-nutritive sucking, she's still getting milk this way. Make sure you offer the breast until she lets go and not based upon any time limits. Throw out the clock and do this by her schedule, its the only way to ensure she can get enough from you.

I would also recommend you do what is called block feeding. That means you offer only one breast for 2-3 hours before switching to the other side. Each time you start on a breast that wasn't being used for awhile, you get foremilk. Foremilk is great for hydration. Its not as good for getting fat into the baby. When you block feed, you increase the amount of hindmilk getting to baby, which is rich in fat and nutrition. I realize your breasts are going to feel 'empty', but its the feeling is not reflective of what is really going on in there. Breastmilk is produced directly from the blood. As the baby sucks, it triggers the breast to make more milk and you get another let-down. A breast is only truly empty for a baby when you run out of blood. It may be empty for a pump, but a pump is not a baby and will never function as well nor as effeciently as a baby will.

Lastly, you may need to supplement. But, I would NOT do this with a bottle. The preferred method would be a lact-aid or Supplemental Nursing System. Its a bag that hangs from your neck and tubing that runs down into the baby's mouth while the baby nurses. You can supplement all the supplementation the doctors want via this system. But, by using this instead of a bottle it has 2 distinct advantages. First, it continues to trigger your breasts to produce milk, which might get her to a point where she doesn't require the supplementation at all Second, it will prevent her from developing an aversion to the breasts and preferring bottles and thus refusing to nurse.

You can get a lact-aid online or at a local lactation store. If you can't access one, then the second option is to use a cup for feeding instead of a bottle. It won't trigger the milk production in you, but it will prevent her from getting frustrated that you supply the juice slower than a bottle.

If you are still needing support, tap into La Leche League International. www.llli.org I guarantee you your local leader can hunt down someone who was successful at breastfeeding a CF chid to hook you up with. And, I guarantee you they can help you accomplish the weight gain issue the CF center is in arms about with a better rate of preserving your nursing relationship and improving it versus giving up as the CF center has done on you.

If you need any support or aren't sure where to find things locally, please don't hesitate to PM me and I'll be happy to help you get support so you can accomplish this. I have been faced with being told to stop breastfeeding before, for reasons other than CF. But, I've learned how to fight for what I know is best for my babies and breastmilk is best for babies, especially CF babies.

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

<br />
<br />First yes, they are looking for 1/2lb weight gain per week. And, she's running about 1/4lb weight gain per week. Now, I'll be honest. I had 2 baby girls who gained at 1/4lb per week consistently and it was not a problem. But, they weren't long. And, they didn't have CF, where they are going to take the weight gain issues much more seriously.
<br />
<br />So, you probably do need to supplement. But, how you are doing that is not the best way. In fact, how they are telling you to do this will sabotage your breastfeeding relationship and land her on formula.
<br />
<br />First, are you nursing on demand? By that I mean, anytime she shows any interest in sucking, are you offering breast first and foremost? If you are home with her, I strongly encourage you to get skin to skin. If you have a sling, put her under your shirt in the sling and carry her that way. Or, if you can sit down with her and skip a shirt even better. This by far is the best way to encourage her to eat. Get rid of pacifiers and let her use you to pacify. Even if she's using non-nutritive sucking, she's still getting milk this way. Make sure you offer the breast until she lets go and not based upon any time limits. Throw out the clock and do this by her schedule, its the only way to ensure she can get enough from you.
<br />
<br />I would also recommend you do what is called block feeding. That means you offer only one breast for 2-3 hours before switching to the other side. Each time you start on a breast that wasn't being used for awhile, you get foremilk. Foremilk is great for hydration. Its not as good for getting fat into the baby. When you block feed, you increase the amount of hindmilk getting to baby, which is rich in fat and nutrition. I realize your breasts are going to feel 'empty', but its the feeling is not reflective of what is really going on in there. Breastmilk is produced directly from the blood. As the baby sucks, it triggers the breast to make more milk and you get another let-down. A breast is only truly empty for a baby when you run out of blood. It may be empty for a pump, but a pump is not a baby and will never function as well nor as effeciently as a baby will.
<br />
<br />Lastly, you may need to supplement. But, I would NOT do this with a bottle. The preferred method would be a lact-aid or Supplemental Nursing System. Its a bag that hangs from your neck and tubing that runs down into the baby's mouth while the baby nurses. You can supplement all the supplementation the doctors want via this system. But, by using this instead of a bottle it has 2 distinct advantages. First, it continues to trigger your breasts to produce milk, which might get her to a point where she doesn't require the supplementation at all Second, it will prevent her from developing an aversion to the breasts and preferring bottles and thus refusing to nurse.
<br />
<br />You can get a lact-aid online or at a local lactation store. If you can't access one, then the second option is to use a cup for feeding instead of a bottle. It won't trigger the milk production in you, but it will prevent her from getting frustrated that you supply the juice slower than a bottle.
<br />
<br />If you are still needing support, tap into La Leche League International. www.llli.org I guarantee you your local leader can hunt down someone who was successful at breastfeeding a CF chid to hook you up with. And, I guarantee you they can help you accomplish the weight gain issue the CF center is in arms about with a better rate of preserving your nursing relationship and improving it versus giving up as the CF center has done on you.
<br />
<br />If you need any support or aren't sure where to find things locally, please don't hesitate to PM me and I'll be happy to help you get support so you can accomplish this. I have been faced with being told to stop breastfeeding before, for reasons other than CF. But, I've learned how to fight for what I know is best for my babies and breastmilk is best for babies, especially CF babies.

ehtansky21

I was right there with you about a year ago. After struggling with pumping, Caleb not taking the bottle and me knowing the feeding at the breast is what God intended for me, here is what I did. I mixed the formula I would have put in a bottle with as little applesauce as I could. Caleb ate it right up as he was taking his enzymes. Please let me know if i can help anymore!

blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

I was right there with you about a year ago. After struggling with pumping, Caleb not taking the bottle and me knowing the feeding at the breast is what God intended for me, here is what I did. I mixed the formula I would have put in a bottle with as little applesauce as I could. Caleb ate it right up as he was taking his enzymes. Please let me know if i can help anymore!

blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

<br />
<br />blessings,
<br />Missa

PedsNP2007

Hi,
I am sorry you are having a difficult time. I don't have much more advice to give aside from Testify did already.

Calculating it out, Josephine has been gaining (on average, for 8 weeks since discharge), 27 grams per day. Normal babies should gain between 15-30 grams per day. While she does have CF which requires more caloric intake, I don't think it automatically should mean an abrupt change to a breastfeeding regimen.

Was she premature? If so, then that could be a reason why they are upping the caloric intake.

Have you looked at her growth charts? I ask this because if she is steadily at the 25th percentile since discharge and is on a nice curve, that's a good sign. Now, if she was at the 50th percentile at discharge and now has slowly trailed off her nice growth curve, I can see why the CF team would want to give her more calories.

I agree with you about not wanting to give up breastfeeding; it is obviously a very important factor for you to do. That's great you have been able to breastfeed and do the enzymes (somehow I can't see myself being so coordinated to stick in the enzymes and then get control to have a baby latch on!).

I know I am unorthodox when I say this, but if you just had a CF appt and are going back in 3 weeks, I'd give one more try of just exclusive breastfeeding. I would do what Testify said regarding the hindmilk. I would ensure she is getting frequent nursing periods with you, not going longer than 2-3 hours between feeds (4-5 at night x1). I know this may be exhausting, but if you want to see if exclusive breastfeeding will work, I'd try that. If she does fall a little off the curve, then you know you have tried (or you can go with the nursing supplement system as Testify mentioned -- my sister had a hard time with that when her son was born, so I am not a huge fan).

Good luck...
Jenn
30 yo cf (awaiting a potential miracle myself)

PedsNP2007

Hi,
I am sorry you are having a difficult time. I don't have much more advice to give aside from Testify did already.

Calculating it out, Josephine has been gaining (on average, for 8 weeks since discharge), 27 grams per day. Normal babies should gain between 15-30 grams per day. While she does have CF which requires more caloric intake, I don't think it automatically should mean an abrupt change to a breastfeeding regimen.

Was she premature? If so, then that could be a reason why they are upping the caloric intake.

Have you looked at her growth charts? I ask this because if she is steadily at the 25th percentile since discharge and is on a nice curve, that's a good sign. Now, if she was at the 50th percentile at discharge and now has slowly trailed off her nice growth curve, I can see why the CF team would want to give her more calories.

I agree with you about not wanting to give up breastfeeding; it is obviously a very important factor for you to do. That's great you have been able to breastfeed and do the enzymes (somehow I can't see myself being so coordinated to stick in the enzymes and then get control to have a baby latch on!).

I know I am unorthodox when I say this, but if you just had a CF appt and are going back in 3 weeks, I'd give one more try of just exclusive breastfeeding. I would do what Testify said regarding the hindmilk. I would ensure she is getting frequent nursing periods with you, not going longer than 2-3 hours between feeds (4-5 at night x1). I know this may be exhausting, but if you want to see if exclusive breastfeeding will work, I'd try that. If she does fall a little off the curve, then you know you have tried (or you can go with the nursing supplement system as Testify mentioned -- my sister had a hard time with that when her son was born, so I am not a huge fan).

Good luck...
Jenn

PedsNP2007

Hi,

Good luck...
Jenn

PedsNP2007

Hi,

Good luck...
Jenn

PedsNP2007

Hi,
<br />I am sorry you are having a difficult time. I don't have much more advice to give aside from Testify did already.
<br />
<br />Calculating it out, Josephine has been gaining (on average, for 8 weeks since discharge), 27 grams per day. Normal babies should gain between 15-30 grams per day. While she does have CF which requires more caloric intake, I don't think it automatically should mean an abrupt change to a breastfeeding regimen.
<br />
<br />Was she premature? If so, then that could be a reason why they are upping the caloric intake.
<br />
<br />Have you looked at her growth charts? I ask this because if she is steadily at the 25th percentile since discharge and is on a nice curve, that's a good sign. Now, if she was at the 50th percentile at discharge and now has slowly trailed off her nice growth curve, I can see why the CF team would want to give her more calories.
<br />
<br />I agree with you about not wanting to give up breastfeeding; it is obviously a very important factor for you to do. That's great you have been able to breastfeed and do the enzymes (somehow I can't see myself being so coordinated to stick in the enzymes and then get control to have a baby latch on!).
<br />
<br />I know I am unorthodox when I say this, but if you just had a CF appt and are going back in 3 weeks, I'd give one more try of just exclusive breastfeeding. I would do what Testify said regarding the hindmilk. I would ensure she is getting frequent nursing periods with you, not going longer than 2-3 hours between feeds (4-5 at night x1). I know this may be exhausting, but if you want to see if exclusive breastfeeding will work, I'd try that. If she does fall a little off the curve, then you know you have tried (or you can go with the nursing supplement system as Testify mentioned -- my sister had a hard time with that when her son was born, so I am not a huge fan).
<br />
<br />Good luck...
<br />Jenn
<br />30 yo cf (awaiting a potential miracle myself)
<br />