Breastfeeding

MicheleGazelle

A couple of real quick thoughts:
When I breastfed my CF child for ever (until he was 22 months old), I made sure to feed MYSELF real well. One thing I cooked at that time that was too rich for me when I tried again at a later date:
Cream of wheat made with whole milk, a few scoops of tofu, a spoonful of wheat germ, and toss in frozen fruit (usually blueberries) towards the end. This is both high protein and high calcium.

When my sister had a preemie who grew like a weed, she would get up at 5am and pump breast milk to get an extra bottle stored away for later use. It was the only time her daughter went long enough between feedings for her to do something like that. By the time I saw her daughter when the girl was 4 1/2 months old, she was huge. My sister's dedication paid off.

If you don't know, there is a website intended to specifically provide support for mom's breastfeeding a baby with CF: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cfnutrition4life.com/">http://cfnutrition4life.com/</a>

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

When I breastfed my CF child for ever (until he was 22 months old), I made sure to feed MYSELF real well. One thing I cooked at that time that was too rich for me when I tried again at a later date:
Cream of wheat made with whole milk, a few scoops of tofu, a spoonful of wheat germ, and toss in frozen fruit (usually blueberries) towards the end. This is both high protein and high calcium.

When my sister had a preemie who grew like a weed, she would get up at 5am and pump breast milk to get an extra bottle stored away for later use. It was the only time her daughter went long enough between feedings for her to do something like that. By the time I saw her daughter when the girl was 4 1/2 months old, she was huge. My sister's dedication paid off.

If you don't know, there is a website intended to specifically provide support for mom's breastfeeding a baby with CF: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cfnutrition4life.com/">http://cfnutrition4life.com/</a>

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

<br />When I breastfed my CF child for ever (until he was 22 months old), I made sure to feed MYSELF real well. One thing I cooked at that time that was too rich for me when I tried again at a later date:
<br />Cream of wheat made with whole milk, a few scoops of tofu, a spoonful of wheat germ, and toss in frozen fruit (usually blueberries) towards the end. This is both high protein and high calcium.
<br />
<br />When my sister had a preemie who grew like a weed, she would get up at 5am and pump breast milk to get an extra bottle stored away for later use. It was the only time her daughter went long enough between feedings for her to do something like that. By the time I saw her daughter when the girl was 4 1/2 months old, she was huge. My sister's dedication paid off.
<br />
<br />If you don't know, there is a website intended to specifically provide support for mom's breastfeeding a baby with CF: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cfnutrition4life.com/">http://cfnutrition4life.com/</a>
<br />
<br />Good luck with this.

JazzysMom

Here is another site that is helpful. Holly Catheryn has CF herself, but is a real advocate for breastfeeding so I am sure there are benefits you will find from her site.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.geocities.com/murrensnaturemama/">http://www.geocities.com/murrensnaturemama/</a>

JazzysMom

Here is another site that is helpful. Holly Catheryn has CF herself, but is a real advocate for breastfeeding so I am sure there are benefits you will find from her site.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.geocities.com/murrensnaturemama/">http://www.geocities.com/murrensnaturemama/</a>

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.geocities.com/murrensnaturemama/">http://www.geocities.com/murrensnaturemama/</a>

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Hi there,

you've already gotten some great advice. I breastfed Maggie til she was 3 1/2 years old so as well as my son without CF til he was 15 months old. Things I found helpful were to make sure I had a plentiful milk supply, in fact for a CF'er to try to have too much milk. Ways to do this are drink lots of water; eat healthy, take a multivitamin(yourself). I read that eating a large bowl of oatmeal every day would increase milk supply , it helped me when stress would affect milk supply. Also, I took fish oil pills to increase healthy fats in my diet. Lastly, there is an herb called fenugreek you can get at natural food stores that also increases milk supply. I took it as well on a short term basis when my daughter had to be hospitalized at 5 months and my milk supply took a plunge. i never checked with her doc to make sure it was ok to take but I noted no adverse affect on her.

I also think it's important to make sure your daughter nurses long enough to get the hind milk(the fatty milk at the end of each feeding.)

Does your daughter take enzymes? I would often have to repeat her dosage if she took a long time at the breast. I also would find those little enzyme beads everywhere, so alot of times she had trouble getting the full dose into her. I found the docs not to be up on breastfeeding, they just want the weight gain.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Hi there,

you've already gotten some great advice. I breastfed Maggie til she was 3 1/2 years old so as well as my son without CF til he was 15 months old. Things I found helpful were to make sure I had a plentiful milk supply, in fact for a CF'er to try to have too much milk. Ways to do this are drink lots of water; eat healthy, take a multivitamin(yourself). I read that eating a large bowl of oatmeal every day would increase milk supply , it helped me when stress would affect milk supply. Also, I took fish oil pills to increase healthy fats in my diet. Lastly, there is an herb called fenugreek you can get at natural food stores that also increases milk supply. I took it as well on a short term basis when my daughter had to be hospitalized at 5 months and my milk supply took a plunge. i never checked with her doc to make sure it was ok to take but I noted no adverse affect on her.

I also think it's important to make sure your daughter nurses long enough to get the hind milk(the fatty milk at the end of each feeding.)

Does your daughter take enzymes? I would often have to repeat her dosage if she took a long time at the breast. I also would find those little enzyme beads everywhere, so alot of times she had trouble getting the full dose into her. I found the docs not to be up on breastfeeding, they just want the weight gain.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Hi there,

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Hi there,

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Hi there,

JosephinesMommy

Thank you everyone. We are nursing on demand. She does great nursing. I let her eat as long as she wants. I don't ever make her stop I wait until she lets go, burp, then offer the other side as long as she wants. I have a baby scale at home and weigh her from time to time. SHe eats anywhere from 3-6 ounces a feeding around 8x a day. The hardest thing about on demand feeding is the enzymes I would have to give her enzymes every hour to make sure her system doesn't get all screwed up. I am definately going to do the block feeding, I had never heard of that!

A question about the lac-taid how would i mix the formula to put in it? Usually I put 1/2 scoop in 4-5oz of BM.

Jenn, As for the enzymes I pour them in her mouth and use a syringe and BM to wash them down. The applesauce gave Bug horrific diahhrea and an even worse rash. It was awful. I can't wait to be able to give her some cereal, I would think that would be a really easy way to be able to cram calories in her.

I have tried the fenugreek and it seemed as though Bugs poop got looser and greaser when I did so I was afraid that it was bothering her. I will try eating oatmeal! I hadn't heard that either.

Thanks everyone.

JosephinesMommy

Thank you everyone. We are nursing on demand. She does great nursing. I let her eat as long as she wants. I don't ever make her stop I wait until she lets go, burp, then offer the other side as long as she wants. I have a baby scale at home and weigh her from time to time. SHe eats anywhere from 3-6 ounces a feeding around 8x a day. The hardest thing about on demand feeding is the enzymes I would have to give her enzymes every hour to make sure her system doesn't get all screwed up. I am definately going to do the block feeding, I had never heard of that!

A question about the lac-taid how would i mix the formula to put in it? Usually I put 1/2 scoop in 4-5oz of BM.

Jenn, As for the enzymes I pour them in her mouth and use a syringe and BM to wash them down. The applesauce gave Bug horrific diahhrea and an even worse rash. It was awful. I can't wait to be able to give her some cereal, I would think that would be a really easy way to be able to cram calories in her.

I have tried the fenugreek and it seemed as though Bugs poop got looser and greaser when I did so I was afraid that it was bothering her. I will try eating oatmeal! I hadn't heard that either.

Thanks everyone.

JosephinesMommy

Thanks everyone.

JosephinesMommy

Thanks everyone.

JosephinesMommy

<br />
<br />A question about the lac-taid how would i mix the formula to put in it? Usually I put 1/2 scoop in 4-5oz of BM.
<br />
<br />Jenn, As for the enzymes I pour them in her mouth and use a syringe and BM to wash them down. The applesauce gave Bug horrific diahhrea and an even worse rash. It was awful. I can't wait to be able to give her some cereal, I would think that would be a really easy way to be able to cram calories in her.
<br />
<br />I have tried the fenugreek and it seemed as though Bugs poop got looser and greaser when I did so I was afraid that it was bothering her. I will try eating oatmeal! I hadn't heard that either.
<br />
<br />Thanks everyone.