Cepacia on same floor as non- cepacia patients

dramamama

Hi Guys-
Well, I am about to be admitted to my new hospital....yikes. I finally switched clinics from Dallas to Denver bc they are much more aggressive here in Denver. anyway, I hate being admitted...I am so afraid of picking up a new germ.

At this particular hospital, all cfers are on the same floor. Cepacia, non-cepacia, MRSA, abscessus (me)...you name they got it. It was not that way in Dallas. We were all over the place so as not to have the chance of cross-contamination.

I am flipping out right now. I am rethinkg my clinic choice. What do I do?????

mandy

dramamama

Hi Guys-
Well, I am about to be admitted to my new hospital....yikes. I finally switched clinics from Dallas to Denver bc they are much more aggressive here in Denver. anyway, I hate being admitted...I am so afraid of picking up a new germ.

At this particular hospital, all cfers are on the same floor. Cepacia, non-cepacia, MRSA, abscessus (me)...you name they got it. It was not that way in Dallas. We were all over the place so as not to have the chance of cross-contamination.

mandy

dramamama

Hi Guys-

mandy

dramamama

Hi Guys-

mandy

dramamama

Hi Guys-
<br />Well, I am about to be admitted to my new hospital....yikes. I finally switched clinics from Dallas to Denver bc they are much more aggressive here in Denver. anyway, I hate being admitted...I am so afraid of picking up a new germ.
<br />
<br />At this particular hospital, all cfers are on the same floor. Cepacia, non-cepacia, MRSA, abscessus (me)...you name they got it. It was not that way in Dallas. We were all over the place so as not to have the chance of cross-contamination.
<br />
<br />I am flipping out right now. I am rethinkg my clinic choice. What do I do?????
<br />
<br />mandy

lightNlife

The clinic protocol and the hospital protocol for cross infection may not always be the same. After all, the CFF has some say in the clinic's rules, but not necessarily for the hospital.

Don't flip out, but do insist that your nurses follow strict rules. You can keep yourself safe by not wandering around the hospital, and if you do, make sure you go out wearing a mask, gloves and gown.

Mention your concerns to your CF doctor who admits you, and ask them to tell the nursing staff to follow isolation protocol. That should help.

Don't freak out. Unless you're sharing a popsicle with another CFer or other patient, your exposure risk is actually pretty small.

lightNlife

The clinic protocol and the hospital protocol for cross infection may not always be the same. After all, the CFF has some say in the clinic's rules, but not necessarily for the hospital.

Don't flip out, but do insist that your nurses follow strict rules. You can keep yourself safe by not wandering around the hospital, and if you do, make sure you go out wearing a mask, gloves and gown.

Mention your concerns to your CF doctor who admits you, and ask them to tell the nursing staff to follow isolation protocol. That should help.

Don't freak out. Unless you're sharing a popsicle with another CFer or other patient, your exposure risk is actually pretty small.

lightNlife

lightNlife

lightNlife

<br />
<br />Don't flip out, but do insist that your nurses follow strict rules. You can keep yourself safe by not wandering around the hospital, and if you do, make sure you go out wearing a mask, gloves and gown.
<br />
<br />Mention your concerns to your CF doctor who admits you, and ask them to tell the nursing staff to follow isolation protocol. That should help.
<br />
<br />Don't freak out. Unless you're sharing a popsicle with another CFer or other patient, your exposure risk is actually pretty small.

getahobby

I don't mean for this to encourage your fear so please try not to let it do that.

At our hospital, which is huge, the cepacia and non-cepacia patients aren't even allowed to be in the same building. They are on opposite sides of the campus.

getahobby

I don't mean for this to encourage your fear so please try not to let it do that.

At our hospital, which is huge, the cepacia and non-cepacia patients aren't even allowed to be in the same building. They are on opposite sides of the campus.

getahobby

getahobby

getahobby

<br />
<br />At our hospital, which is huge, the cepacia and non-cepacia patients aren't even allowed to be in the same building. They are on opposite sides of the campus.
<br />

Emily65Roses

I'm pretty sure we're all on the same floor at my hospital. They just have "isolation" rules. They're pretty good about the isolation, though. I haven't cultured MRSA once since 2001 (and I only cultured it once then), and they STILL keep me in isolation for the safety of others. So I would think that they keep cepacia in isolation as well.

Emily65Roses

I'm pretty sure we're all on the same floor at my hospital. They just have "isolation" rules. They're pretty good about the isolation, though. I haven't cultured MRSA once since 2001 (and I only cultured it once then), and they STILL keep me in isolation for the safety of others. So I would think that they keep cepacia in isolation as well.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses