Cepacia on same floor as non- cepacia patients

SaltyAndSweet

In Denver, they do the reverse isolation thing. Where everyone who comes into your room must gown up. For the most part, everyone is so used to doing this it isn't much of an issue.

Although, when I was admitted a few weeks ago I had one VERY VERY flaky respiratory therapist who REFUSED to play by the rules. After all, in his idiotic mind, he didn't understand the risk, most likely because it wouldn't affect him if WE got ill from someone else's bugs. He complains about all the trash being bad for the environment as his excuse. I complained, but it will take more people to complain to get something done about him.

Other than that one guy, all the nurses are awesome, the other RTs are awesome, and everyone is really cautious. I understand your fear though, it is a very valid concern. That is why I usually do home IVs, but this last time I needed the extra attention.

I never asked, but I did wonder if they assigned nurses in a way to decrease cross-contamination. That would be very smart of them, but I am not sure what their protocol is.

I'll send you good vibes in hopes you don't have to deal with the flake!
Don't be afraid to yell at someone who doesn't come in gowned up, and then alert your doc about it. They understand and care.

SaltyAndSweet

In Denver, they do the reverse isolation thing. Where everyone who comes into your room must gown up. For the most part, everyone is so used to doing this it isn't much of an issue.

Although, when I was admitted a few weeks ago I had one VERY VERY flaky respiratory therapist who REFUSED to play by the rules. After all, in his idiotic mind, he didn't understand the risk, most likely because it wouldn't affect him if WE got ill from someone else's bugs. He complains about all the trash being bad for the environment as his excuse. I complained, but it will take more people to complain to get something done about him.

Other than that one guy, all the nurses are awesome, the other RTs are awesome, and everyone is really cautious. I understand your fear though, it is a very valid concern. That is why I usually do home IVs, but this last time I needed the extra attention.

I never asked, but I did wonder if they assigned nurses in a way to decrease cross-contamination. That would be very smart of them, but I am not sure what their protocol is.

Don't be afraid to yell at someone who doesn't come in gowned up, and then alert your doc about it. They understand and care.

SaltyAndSweet

SaltyAndSweet

SaltyAndSweet

<br />
<br />Although, when I was admitted a few weeks ago I had one VERY VERY flaky respiratory therapist who REFUSED to play by the rules. After all, in his idiotic mind, he didn't understand the risk, most likely because it wouldn't affect him if WE got ill from someone else's bugs. He complains about all the trash being bad for the environment as his excuse. I complained, but it will take more people to complain to get something done about him.
<br />
<br />Other than that one guy, all the nurses are awesome, the other RTs are awesome, and everyone is really cautious. I understand your fear though, it is a very valid concern. That is why I usually do home IVs, but this last time I needed the extra attention.
<br />
<br />I never asked, but I did wonder if they assigned nurses in a way to decrease cross-contamination. That would be very smart of them, but I am not sure what their protocol is.
<br />
<br />I'll send you good vibes in hopes you don't have to deal with the flake!
<br />Don't be afraid to yell at someone who doesn't come in gowned up, and then alert your doc about it. They understand and care.

JennifersHope

Gosh that would bother me to if all CFers were put on the same floor, or if they didn't have really strict rules, at the hospital I worked at, I was the only CFer, so not a problem, at the CF hospital in NJ, they did have a CF floor that I went to, everyone did reverse isolation with me though.

Here in SC, from what I understand, though I have only done home IVS, CFers are put in the general medical floors...which is fine by me..even though I have no plans of being admitted.

I know at my friends hospital, CF patients are on the same floor, but one nurse never has more then one CF patient, this way they don't cross germs

JennifersHope

Gosh that would bother me to if all CFers were put on the same floor, or if they didn't have really strict rules, at the hospital I worked at, I was the only CFer, so not a problem, at the CF hospital in NJ, they did have a CF floor that I went to, everyone did reverse isolation with me though.

Here in SC, from what I understand, though I have only done home IVS, CFers are put in the general medical floors...which is fine by me..even though I have no plans of being admitted.

I know at my friends hospital, CF patients are on the same floor, but one nurse never has more then one CF patient, this way they don't cross germs

JennifersHope

JennifersHope

JennifersHope

<br />
<br />Here in SC, from what I understand, though I have only done home IVS, CFers are put in the general medical floors...which is fine by me..even though I have no plans of being admitted.
<br />
<br />I know at my friends hospital, CF patients are on the same floor, but one nurse never has more then one CF patient, this way they don't cross germs
<br />
<br />

kathiel

My daughter's hospital separates cepacia from non-cepacia, and they do the reverse isolation as well. Also, the ultimate goal is for each nurse to only have 1 CF patient.

kathiel

My daughter's hospital separates cepacia from non-cepacia, and they do the reverse isolation as well. Also, the ultimate goal is for each nurse to only have 1 CF patient.

kathiel

kathiel

kathiel

<br />

CaliSally

My center's hospital does not separate. In some ways I think they should, but the reality is: all CFer's wander the hospital, not being careful what they touch without gloves. So it wouldn't really matter in the long run.

I think all cf'ers should be responsible and wear, minimally, gloves and mask when they leave their room - especially if they have any really crummy bugs or resistance. I never believed in this before, but the sicker I get, the more I believe!

If you refuse to wear gloves, use your elbow (or knee!) for elevator button pushing and wash your hands when you return to your room. (sanitizer does not replace good hand washing, but is great in an emergency)

Like Lightnlife said - don't be afraid to request your dr's/nurses to follow reverse isolation steps.

I think our center does separate for clinic visits though, but not certain. Also for clinic, all patients are handed a mask and gloves to wear during their visit, when they sign in (they are also given their own pen)

Do your best to protect yourself, without getting wigged out, and you should be fine.

CaliSally

My center's hospital does not separate. In some ways I think they should, but the reality is: all CFer's wander the hospital, not being careful what they touch without gloves. So it wouldn't really matter in the long run.

I think all cf'ers should be responsible and wear, minimally, gloves and mask when they leave their room - especially if they have any really crummy bugs or resistance. I never believed in this before, but the sicker I get, the more I believe!

If you refuse to wear gloves, use your elbow (or knee!) for elevator button pushing and wash your hands when you return to your room. (sanitizer does not replace good hand washing, but is great in an emergency)

Like Lightnlife said - don't be afraid to request your dr's/nurses to follow reverse isolation steps.

I think our center does separate for clinic visits though, but not certain. Also for clinic, all patients are handed a mask and gloves to wear during their visit, when they sign in (they are also given their own pen)

Do your best to protect yourself, without getting wigged out, and you should be fine.

CaliSally

CaliSally

CaliSally

<br />
<br />I think all cf'ers should be responsible and wear, minimally, gloves and mask when they leave their room - especially if they have any really crummy bugs or resistance. I never believed in this before, but the sicker I get, the more I believe!
<br />
<br />If you refuse to wear gloves, use your elbow (or knee!) for elevator button pushing and wash your hands when you return to your room. (sanitizer does not replace good hand washing, but is great in an emergency)
<br />
<br />Like Lightnlife said - don't be afraid to request your dr's/nurses to follow reverse isolation steps.
<br />
<br />I think our center does separate for clinic visits though, but not certain. Also for clinic, all patients are handed a mask and gloves to wear during their visit, when they sign in (they are also given their own pen)
<br />
<br />Do your best to protect yourself, without getting wigged out, and you should be fine.