CF and Highschool...

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Yes, Lauren is right, lying only makes it worse. If you answer in a matter-of-fact way like its not a big deal they will treat it the same. When you lie they won't believe you wHen real things come up.

My son used to tell his friends that he was visiting family instead of saying he was in the hospital. Then he felt bad that none of his friends called or visited. When he came home with a PICC, he told them he had broken his arm. It never worked.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Yes, Lauren is right, lying only makes it worse. If you answer in a matter-of-fact way like its not a big deal they will treat it the same. When you lie they won't believe you wHen real things come up.

My son used to tell his friends that he was visiting family instead of saying he was in the hospital. Then he felt bad that none of his friends called or visited. When he came home with a PICC, he told them he had broken his arm. It never worked.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />
<br />My son used to tell his friends that he was visiting family instead of saying he was in the hospital. Then he felt bad that none of his friends called or visited. When he came home with a PICC, he told them he had broken his arm. It never worked.

Transplantmommy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>19forever93</b></i>

Hello I'm new on here! I'm 14 years old and I have CF.

Anyway, here are my questions.

1. Do you talk to your friends about CF? I think it is extremely awkward and try to avoid it at all costs, though I'm not sure why...

2. When you miss school, how is the best way to make up the work? I always find that I am totally confused when I return and also the teachers are very unsympathtic.

3. If I don't want to talk with someone about CF, and they ask you a question like, "Why do you always take those pills?" or say, "You were in the HOSPITAL?!?! OMG WHY??"

Well...I know this sounds bad...but what is a good excuse? You don't have to answer that if you don't want to help me with my lying! lol

Anyway I would appreciate advice!</end quote></div>

I am now 27 but I am sure that I might be able to help you with some of this.

1. Every single one of my friends (and everyone else) knew about my CF. If they asked questions, I answered them. Believe me, it made it so much less awkward if I was in the hospital for a while and then came back. They all knew why I was out and there was no need to explain to them about anything.

2. Are you good with self-teaching? Learn on your own? I missed a LOT of high school from having to go into the hospital. During my Junior year, I was out of school for 3 months at once! During this time, I had a teacher who lived close to me and she would collect my work from my teachers and bring it to me so that I could keep up. Of course, this only works if it is easy for you to learn things on your own without having to be shown how to do it. If I had a test, I would do the test and send it back with her to be graded. If I had questions about my work, I could call the school and get help. If a teacher is not willing to do this, maybe a friend would be? This was the best way for me. I ended up graduating high school with a 93 overall average and graduated with honors.

3. Normally your friends wouldn't see you taking the pills at school...or at least mine didn't. Before I would get in the lunch line, I would go to the nurse and take my pills and then go get in line. Just tell your friends that you have to go to the bathroom first before you go to lunch. As for the hospital, there's not much of a way around that one. It's just as simmple to say that you had an exacerbation....they can look that up on their own and come to their own conclusions.

Seriously though, EVERYONE knew about my CF and my teachers were very understanding. My friends would come see me in the hospital if they could...which was great because it gave me someone to visit with. The way I have always saw it.....if your friends know about your CF and then shun you for it, then they were never really your friend to begin with.

Transplantmommy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>19forever93</b></i>

1. Do you talk to your friends about CF? I think it is extremely awkward and try to avoid it at all costs, though I'm not sure why...

2. When you miss school, how is the best way to make up the work? I always find that I am totally confused when I return and also the teachers are very unsympathtic.

3. If I don't want to talk with someone about CF, and they ask you a question like, "Why do you always take those pills?" or say, "You were in the HOSPITAL?!?! OMG WHY??"

Well...I know this sounds bad...but what is a good excuse? You don't have to answer that if you don't want to help me with my lying! lol

1. Every single one of my friends (and everyone else) knew about my CF. If they asked questions, I answered them. Believe me, it made it so much less awkward if I was in the hospital for a while and then came back. They all knew why I was out and there was no need to explain to them about anything.

2. Are you good with self-teaching? Learn on your own? I missed a LOT of high school from having to go into the hospital. During my Junior year, I was out of school for 3 months at once! During this time, I had a teacher who lived close to me and she would collect my work from my teachers and bring it to me so that I could keep up. Of course, this only works if it is easy for you to learn things on your own without having to be shown how to do it. If I had a test, I would do the test and send it back with her to be graded. If I had questions about my work, I could call the school and get help. If a teacher is not willing to do this, maybe a friend would be? This was the best way for me. I ended up graduating high school with a 93 overall average and graduated with honors.

3. Normally your friends wouldn't see you taking the pills at school...or at least mine didn't. Before I would get in the lunch line, I would go to the nurse and take my pills and then go get in line. Just tell your friends that you have to go to the bathroom first before you go to lunch. As for the hospital, there's not much of a way around that one. It's just as simmple to say that you had an exacerbation....they can look that up on their own and come to their own conclusions.

Seriously though, EVERYONE knew about my CF and my teachers were very understanding. My friends would come see me in the hospital if they could...which was great because it gave me someone to visit with. The way I have always saw it.....if your friends know about your CF and then shun you for it, then they were never really your friend to begin with.

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Anyway I would appreciate advice!</end quote>

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />Hello I'm new on here! I'm 14 years old and I have CF.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Anyway, here are my questions.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />1. Do you talk to your friends about CF? I think it is extremely awkward and try to avoid it at all costs, though I'm not sure why...
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />2. When you miss school, how is the best way to make up the work? I always find that I am totally confused when I return and also the teachers are very unsympathtic.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />3. If I don't want to talk with someone about CF, and they ask you a question like, "Why do you always take those pills?" or say, "You were in the HOSPITAL?!?! OMG WHY??"
<br />
<br />Well...I know this sounds bad...but what is a good excuse? You don't have to answer that if you don't want to help me with my lying! lol
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Anyway I would appreciate advice!</end quote>
<br />
<br />I am now 27 but I am sure that I might be able to help you with some of this.
<br />
<br />1. Every single one of my friends (and everyone else) knew about my CF. If they asked questions, I answered them. Believe me, it made it so much less awkward if I was in the hospital for a while and then came back. They all knew why I was out and there was no need to explain to them about anything.
<br />
<br />2. Are you good with self-teaching? Learn on your own? I missed a LOT of high school from having to go into the hospital. During my Junior year, I was out of school for 3 months at once! During this time, I had a teacher who lived close to me and she would collect my work from my teachers and bring it to me so that I could keep up. Of course, this only works if it is easy for you to learn things on your own without having to be shown how to do it. If I had a test, I would do the test and send it back with her to be graded. If I had questions about my work, I could call the school and get help. If a teacher is not willing to do this, maybe a friend would be? This was the best way for me. I ended up graduating high school with a 93 overall average and graduated with honors.
<br />
<br />3. Normally your friends wouldn't see you taking the pills at school...or at least mine didn't. Before I would get in the lunch line, I would go to the nurse and take my pills and then go get in line. Just tell your friends that you have to go to the bathroom first before you go to lunch. As for the hospital, there's not much of a way around that one. It's just as simmple to say that you had an exacerbation....they can look that up on their own and come to their own conclusions.
<br />
<br />Seriously though, EVERYONE knew about my CF and my teachers were very understanding. My friends would come see me in the hospital if they could...which was great because it gave me someone to visit with. The way I have always saw it.....if your friends know about your CF and then shun you for it, then they were never really your friend to begin with.
<br />
<br />

CFGurl16

Well I went to the same HighSchool for 2 years and now im jsut starting a new one but i can give you the advise i gave someone else.
to ur questions are normal and her is what i gotta say.
1.Yes i did talk about my CF to my friends.
2.When i missed school i couldn't really catch up with my work. Even though i tried to but i just couldn't.
But it could help to talk to your guidance cousalour.
3.Its not that bad of a question its rezanable. You can always say oh they jus wanted me to stay or something stupid lol i dont even know why lol you know how doctors can be lol.
And with the pills just say oh i just have to.. its not bigg deal.
thats usally what i said when i was tired of answering the same question.
But usally i told all my friends classmates and teachers so that if they wanted to ask me something they could vfeel free do so.
I love teachin people about my CF and telling them that its really no bigg deal and what i have to do to keep my self healthy.. but thats just me

CFGurl16

Well I went to the same HighSchool for 2 years and now im jsut starting a new one but i can give you the advise i gave someone else.
2.When i missed school i couldn't really catch up with my work. Even though i tried to but i just couldn't.
3.Its not that bad of a question its rezanable. You can always say oh they jus wanted me to stay or something stupid lol i dont even know why lol you know how doctors can be lol.
But usally i told all my friends classmates and teachers so that if they wanted to ask me something they could vfeel free do so.
I love teachin people about my CF and telling them that its really no bigg deal and what i have to do to keep my self healthy.. but thats just me

CFGurl16

CFGurl16

CFGurl16

<br />to ur questions are normal and her is what i gotta say.
<br />1.Yes i did talk about my CF to my friends.
<br />2.When i missed school i couldn't really catch up with my work. Even though i tried to but i just couldn't.
<br />But it could help to talk to your guidance cousalour.
<br />3.Its not that bad of a question its rezanable. You can always say oh they jus wanted me to stay or something stupid lol i dont even know why lol you know how doctors can be lol.
<br />And with the pills just say oh i just have to.. its not bigg deal.
<br />thats usally what i said when i was tired of answering the same question.
<br />But usally i told all my friends classmates and teachers so that if they wanted to ask me something they could vfeel free do so.
<br />I love teachin people about my CF and telling them that its really no bigg deal and what i have to do to keep my self healthy.. but thats just me

Heyar!!
Well, I don't personally have CF, but my best friend does, so I'll tell you what she does :) tbh, she doesn't lie, like about the last question lol, so that is just my opinion =]

<b>1. Do you talk to your friends about CF? I think it is extremely awkward and try to avoid it at all costs, though I'm not sure why... </b>

Well, Helen is pretty open with us tbh. Like, she wasn't to start with, like in 7th grade, but as we got to know her better, she was more open with us, and now she tells us most things. If I were you, I'd talk to your close friends about it, 'cause I'm sure they'd be pretty interested and supportive-anyone that's a bitch about it isn't worth your friendship. Yeah, they may be a scared and worried, but most people accept that :)

<b>2. When you miss school, how is the best way to make up the work? I always find that I am totally confused when I return and also the teachers are sometimes kind of unsympathtic.</b>

Well, Helen usually photocopies my work if there's a lot of it, or if she cba to write it up [XD]. Otherwise she writes it up as you would do if you generally missed a class. However, if you do photocopy work-MAKE SURE YOU READ IT PROPERLY-copying it up is better for your learning, but reading it is fine too.

<b>3. If I don't want to talk with someone about CF, and they ask you a question like, "Why do you always take those pills?" or say, "You were in the HOSPITAL?!?! OMG WHY??"
Well...I know this sounds bad...but what is a good excuse? </b>

Just answer them as briefly as possible-like, if it's your tablets for your enzymes, then just say something like: 'oh, I take them to help with the enzymes in my stomach' or whatever. Or if it's hospital-just say that it was a check up, and if it was a longer time, such as a week, say you were told to rest for the rest of the week :) any longer than that..well I think you should just tell them.

Hope this helped babe!
Lots of love, and best wishes,
Emmahh
xxx

Heyar!!
Well, I don't personally have CF, but my best friend does, so I'll tell you what she does :) tbh, she doesn't lie, like about the last question lol, so that is just my opinion =]

<b>1. Do you talk to your friends about CF? I think it is extremely awkward and try to avoid it at all costs, though I'm not sure why... </b>

Well, Helen is pretty open with us tbh. Like, she wasn't to start with, like in 7th grade, but as we got to know her better, she was more open with us, and now she tells us most things. If I were you, I'd talk to your close friends about it, 'cause I'm sure they'd be pretty interested and supportive-anyone that's a bitch about it isn't worth your friendship. Yeah, they may be a scared and worried, but most people accept that :)

<b>2. When you miss school, how is the best way to make up the work? I always find that I am totally confused when I return and also the teachers are sometimes kind of unsympathtic.</b>

Well, Helen usually photocopies my work if there's a lot of it, or if she cba to write it up [XD]. Otherwise she writes it up as you would do if you generally missed a class. However, if you do photocopy work-MAKE SURE YOU READ IT PROPERLY-copying it up is better for your learning, but reading it is fine too.

<b>3. If I don't want to talk with someone about CF, and they ask you a question like, "Why do you always take those pills?" or say, "You were in the HOSPITAL?!?! OMG WHY??"

Just answer them as briefly as possible-like, if it's your tablets for your enzymes, then just say something like: 'oh, I take them to help with the enzymes in my stomach' or whatever. Or if it's hospital-just say that it was a check up, and if it was a longer time, such as a week, say you were told to rest for the rest of the week :) any longer than that..well I think you should just tell them.

Hope this helped babe!
Emmahh
xxx

Heyar!!

Hope this helped babe!
Emmahh
xxx

Heyar!!

Hope this helped babe!
Emmahh
xxx

Heyar!!
<br />Well, I don't personally have CF, but my best friend does, so I'll tell you what she does :) tbh, she doesn't lie, like about the last question lol, so that is just my opinion =]
<br />
<br />
<br /><b>1. Do you talk to your friends about CF? I think it is extremely awkward and try to avoid it at all costs, though I'm not sure why... </b>
<br />
<br />Well, Helen is pretty open with us tbh. Like, she wasn't to start with, like in 7th grade, but as we got to know her better, she was more open with us, and now she tells us most things. If I were you, I'd talk to your close friends about it, 'cause I'm sure they'd be pretty interested and supportive-anyone that's a bitch about it isn't worth your friendship. Yeah, they may be a scared and worried, but most people accept that :)
<br />
<br />
<br /><b>2. When you miss school, how is the best way to make up the work? I always find that I am totally confused when I return and also the teachers are sometimes kind of unsympathtic.</b>
<br />
<br />Well, Helen usually photocopies my work if there's a lot of it, or if she cba to write it up [XD]. Otherwise she writes it up as you would do if you generally missed a class. However, if you do photocopy work-MAKE SURE YOU READ IT PROPERLY-copying it up is better for your learning, but reading it is fine too.
<br />
<br /><b>3. If I don't want to talk with someone about CF, and they ask you a question like, "Why do you always take those pills?" or say, "You were in the HOSPITAL?!?! OMG WHY??"
<br />Well...I know this sounds bad...but what is a good excuse? </b>
<br />
<br />Just answer them as briefly as possible-like, if it's your tablets for your enzymes, then just say something like: 'oh, I take them to help with the enzymes in my stomach' or whatever. Or if it's hospital-just say that it was a check up, and if it was a longer time, such as a week, say you were told to rest for the rest of the week :) any longer than that..well I think you should just tell them.
<br />
<br />Hope this helped babe!
<br />Lots of love, and best wishes,
<br />Emmahh
<br />xxx