CF Facts...

corypa

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>CJsmom</b></i>

I think its important for people to know that CF isn't JUST a lung disease. So many people that I have talked to think that it means not being able to breathe. They don't know about the smelly stool, the GI issues, and the weight problems that can go along with it.</end quote></div>

And doesn't the pancreas eventually fail, or no?

corypa

I think its important for people to know that CF isn't JUST a lung disease. So many people that I have talked to think that it means not being able to breathe. They don't know about the smelly stool, the GI issues, and the weight problems that can go along with it.</end quote></div>

corypa

corypa

I think its important for people to know that CF isn't JUST a lung disease. So many people that I have talked to think that it means not being able to breathe. They don't know about the smelly stool, the GI issues, and the weight problems that can go along with it.</end quote>

corypa

<br />
<br />I think its important for people to know that CF isn't JUST a lung disease. So many people that I have talked to think that it means not being able to breathe. They don't know about the smelly stool, the GI issues, and the weight problems that can go along with it.</end quote>
<br />
<br />And doesn't the pancreas eventually fail, or no?
<br />
<br />

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
Maybe you can try to mention how much time is spent on treatments and everything else related to CF care.

I think everyone sees my daughter a pretty healthy so what is the big deal (besides being a progressive, life shortening disease? lol)...well she spends at least 2 hours a day on treatments. And I don't know how much time I spend sterilizing nebs, ordering medicine, etc...

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
Maybe you can try to mention how much time is spent on treatments and everything else related to CF care.

I think everyone sees my daughter a pretty healthy so what is the big deal (besides being a progressive, life shortening disease? lol)...well she spends at least 2 hours a day on treatments. And I don't know how much time I spend sterilizing nebs, ordering medicine, etc...

2005CFmom

Super Moderator

2005CFmom

Super Moderator

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
<br />
<br />I think everyone sees my daughter a pretty healthy so what is the big deal (besides being a progressive, life shortening disease? lol)...well she spends at least 2 hours a day on treatments. And I don't know how much time I spend sterilizing nebs, ordering medicine, etc...

blindhearted

Maybe meantion about the need for lung transplants, how many people die before getting one, and how to become a donor.

I think pointing out that it is more than just a lung disease is important like CJsmom said.

The fact that it is not contagious, it is genetic.

Even though you do not have a family history of CF, you can still have a child with CF.

1 in every 31 people are carriers, most common race is white, however people of all races can be carriers.

If you & your spouse are carriers, you have 25% (1 in 4) chance of having a child with CF...this chance applies to every time you have a child. Just because you have 4 kids does not mean only 1 will have CF. You may have none, you may have 2 or all 4.

CF affects each person with it differently. Even though they may have the same parents or same mutations, CF can affect them in totally different ways.

Find the number of how many people have it (30,000 US, 70,000 world wide, I think) and how many die each year from it...many being children and young adults.

blindhearted

Maybe meantion about the need for lung transplants, how many people die before getting one, and how to become a donor.

I think pointing out that it is more than just a lung disease is important like CJsmom said.

Even though you do not have a family history of CF, you can still have a child with CF.

1 in every 31 people are carriers, most common race is white, however people of all races can be carriers.

If you & your spouse are carriers, you have 25% (1 in 4) chance of having a child with CF...this chance applies to every time you have a child. Just because you have 4 kids does not mean only 1 will have CF. You may have none, you may have 2 or all 4.

CF affects each person with it differently. Even though they may have the same parents or same mutations, CF can affect them in totally different ways.

Find the number of how many people have it (30,000 US, 70,000 world wide, I think) and how many die each year from it...many being children and young adults.

blindhearted

blindhearted

blindhearted

<br />
<br />I think pointing out that it is more than just a lung disease is important like CJsmom said.
<br />
<br />The fact that it is not contagious, it is genetic.
<br />
<br />Even though you do not have a family history of CF, you can still have a child with CF.
<br />
<br />1 in every 31 people are carriers, most common race is white, however people of all races can be carriers.
<br />
<br />If you & your spouse are carriers, you have 25% (1 in 4) chance of having a child with CF...this chance applies to every time you have a child. Just because you have 4 kids does not mean only 1 will have CF. You may have none, you may have 2 or all 4.
<br />
<br />CF affects each person with it differently. Even though they may have the same parents or same mutations, CF can affect them in totally different ways.
<br />
<br />Find the number of how many people have it (30,000 US, 70,000 world wide, I think) and how many die each year from it...many being children and young adults.