CF Love

MargaritaChic

Sevenstars,
I agree with you. I felt like she was using him for her own selfish needs. If she was doing it because she loved him... that I could understand. But she was doing it just to rebel.

MargaritaChic

Sevenstars,
I agree with you. I felt like she was using him for her own selfish needs. If she was doing it because she loved him... that I could understand. But she was doing it just to rebel.

MargaritaChic

Sevenstars,

MargaritaChic

Sevenstars,

MargaritaChic

Sevenstars,
<br />I agree with you. I felt like she was using him for her own selfish needs. If she was doing it because she loved him... that I could understand. But she was doing it just to rebel.

NYCLawGirl

I thought the piece was beautifully written, and not just because I have a bit of a soft spot for fellow Columbia alums. On one hand, I think Sevenstars has a point that there's another side of this story, though I probably wouldn't go so far as to call it selfishness. The author, in my opinion, is excited to find someone with whom she can share her experiences, and who makes her feel as though her CF is "normal" because it is the norm for him as well. Yes, apparently this turned out not to be the type of earth-shattering love that makes one walk though fire (or cepacia) and give up everything...although perhaps it might have been and she wanted at least the chance to find out...but that doesn't mean it was just a "fling." All of us come to this board to find others who can listen to and relate to our anxieties, fears, and triumphs with CF. This author found that in someone she could phsyically touch and be close to, and though it did present a dange (and ultimately a danger not worth the risk), it also provided a potential source of healing. How many times have we all sat in a crowded public place and endured stares while we coughed, racing out to the bathroom and missing the best part of the movie just to avoid humiliation? I read this article as giving voice to some of those emotions and offering a very moving testimony to the need for empathy and companionship.

Ultimately, I think it's silly to judge other people for the choices they make, especially in matters of who to love and spend their lives with, but it was nice to see an intelligent young woman with CF telling the truth in as public a forum as the NYT!

NYCLawGirl

I thought the piece was beautifully written, and not just because I have a bit of a soft spot for fellow Columbia alums. On one hand, I think Sevenstars has a point that there's another side of this story, though I probably wouldn't go so far as to call it selfishness. The author, in my opinion, is excited to find someone with whom she can share her experiences, and who makes her feel as though her CF is "normal" because it is the norm for him as well. Yes, apparently this turned out not to be the type of earth-shattering love that makes one walk though fire (or cepacia) and give up everything...although perhaps it might have been and she wanted at least the chance to find out...but that doesn't mean it was just a "fling." All of us come to this board to find others who can listen to and relate to our anxieties, fears, and triumphs with CF. This author found that in someone she could phsyically touch and be close to, and though it did present a dange (and ultimately a danger not worth the risk), it also provided a potential source of healing. How many times have we all sat in a crowded public place and endured stares while we coughed, racing out to the bathroom and missing the best part of the movie just to avoid humiliation? I read this article as giving voice to some of those emotions and offering a very moving testimony to the need for empathy and companionship.

Ultimately, I think it's silly to judge other people for the choices they make, especially in matters of who to love and spend their lives with, but it was nice to see an intelligent young woman with CF telling the truth in as public a forum as the NYT!

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />Ultimately, I think it's silly to judge other people for the choices they make, especially in matters of who to love and spend their lives with, but it was nice to see an intelligent young woman with CF telling the truth in as public a forum as the NYT!

Faust

I mean, I would never try to stop two adults from doing what they want to do and make their union illegal or something. If i were one of their parents I certainly would be against it. But we have nearly 7 billion people here on earth now. THe world will keep spinning no matter what they do. I just think it's way obvious it's destructive to her/him/both of them, and I personally wouldn't quite possibly drastically lower my lifespan and quality of life. Now would I do anything for my girl of nearly 11 years? Absolutely. Taking a bullet, wielding a chainsaw, killing vast amounts of deserving people, sure. But I think BEFORE you get way deeply involved with someone to the point of no return, you need to evaluate things and act accordingly.

Faust

I mean, I would never try to stop two adults from doing what they want to do and make their union illegal or something. If i were one of their parents I certainly would be against it. But we have nearly 7 billion people here on earth now. THe world will keep spinning no matter what they do. I just think it's way obvious it's destructive to her/him/both of them, and I personally wouldn't quite possibly drastically lower my lifespan and quality of life. Now would I do anything for my girl of nearly 11 years? Absolutely. Taking a bullet, wielding a chainsaw, killing vast amounts of deserving people, sure. But I think BEFORE you get way deeply involved with someone to the point of no return, you need to evaluate things and act accordingly.

Faust

Faust

Faust

<br />
<br />

Faust

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>NYCLawGirl</b></i>

Ultimately, I think it's silly to judge other people for the choices they make, especially in matters of who to love and spend their lives with, but it was nice to see an intelligent young woman with CF telling the truth in as public a forum as the NYT!</end quote></div>

Heh come on now. Women (and in my opinion to a lesser extent men) make judges for mates all the time. How much does he make, Does he have any habits that drive me too crazy, do his friends drive me crazy, does he drink too much, does he do drugs recreationally, am I the center of his universe, does he talk to his mom too much...And countless other examples. We select our mates for many reasons, and only one of them is strong love.

I think this thread shows a divide between the genders due to a general cultural/fantasy aspect. Women being very into romance, especially so "meant to be romance/love that is tragic".

I dunno. Maybe I've seen so many other people make bad decisions selecting mates (and some my self as well) that i'd rather be half way comfortable and in love for a long time, than be in love with destructive baggage either to myself or the other person.

We make evaluations when we meet other people. As I said before I'm sure their CF was apparent right away. To me, that should have been a huge stop sign from the get go.

Faust

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>NYCLawGirl</b></i>

Ultimately, I think it's silly to judge other people for the choices they make, especially in matters of who to love and spend their lives with, but it was nice to see an intelligent young woman with CF telling the truth in as public a forum as the NYT!</end quote></div>

Heh come on now. Women (and in my opinion to a lesser extent men) make judges for mates all the time. How much does he make, Does he have any habits that drive me too crazy, do his friends drive me crazy, does he drink too much, does he do drugs recreationally, am I the center of his universe, does he talk to his mom too much...And countless other examples. We select our mates for many reasons, and only one of them is strong love.

I think this thread shows a divide between the genders due to a general cultural/fantasy aspect. Women being very into romance, especially so "meant to be romance/love that is tragic".

I dunno. Maybe I've seen so many other people make bad decisions selecting mates (and some my self as well) that i'd rather be half way comfortable and in love for a long time, than be in love with destructive baggage either to myself or the other person.

We make evaluations when we meet other people. As I said before I'm sure their CF was apparent right away. To me, that should have been a huge stop sign from the get go.

Faust

Faust

Ultimately, I think it's silly to judge other people for the choices they make, especially in matters of who to love and spend their lives with, but it was nice to see an intelligent young woman with CF telling the truth in as public a forum as the NYT!</end quote>

Faust

<br />
<br />
<br />Ultimately, I think it's silly to judge other people for the choices they make, especially in matters of who to love and spend their lives with, but it was nice to see an intelligent young woman with CF telling the truth in as public a forum as the NYT!</end quote>
<br />
<br />
<br />Heh come on now. Women (and in my opinion to a lesser extent men) make judges for mates all the time. How much does he make, Does he have any habits that drive me too crazy, do his friends drive me crazy, does he drink too much, does he do drugs recreationally, am I the center of his universe, does he talk to his mom too much...And countless other examples. We select our mates for many reasons, and only one of them is strong love.
<br />
<br />
<br />I think this thread shows a divide between the genders due to a general cultural/fantasy aspect. Women being very into romance, especially so "meant to be romance/love that is tragic".
<br />
<br />I dunno. Maybe I've seen so many other people make bad decisions selecting mates (and some my self as well) that i'd rather be half way comfortable and in love for a long time, than be in love with destructive baggage either to myself or the other person.
<br />
<br />
<br />We make evaluations when we meet other people. As I said before I'm sure their CF was apparent right away. To me, that should have been a huge stop sign from the get go.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />