CF Storyline on Grey's Anatomy right now!

krisgabes

Definately caught the episode, I love Grey's! I think they did a great job (besides the Pulmozyme, I said the same thing to my mom, "who carries that around in their purse?") Of course in the end I wound up snuggled up to my mom and my dog crying. My best friend texted me that she was crying too! (Love her!)

The most impressive I think was their coughing, seriously, they sounded quite realistic. Grey's and Private Practice always tend to do a good representation of CF, I think. Anyways, had to come on here and post!

krisgabes

Definately caught the episode, I love Grey's! I think they did a great job (besides the Pulmozyme, I said the same thing to my mom, "who carries that around in their purse?") Of course in the end I wound up snuggled up to my mom and my dog crying. My best friend texted me that she was crying too! (Love her!)

The most impressive I think was their coughing, seriously, they sounded quite realistic. Grey's and Private Practice always tend to do a good representation of CF, I think. Anyways, had to come on here and post!

krisgabes

<br />
<br />The most impressive I think was their coughing, seriously, they sounded quite realistic. Grey's and Private Practice always tend to do a good representation of CF, I think. Anyways, had to come on here and post!

CountryGirl

I was definitely glad to see CF being recognized on Grey's although they DID dramatize it a bit (by a bit I mean A LOT) when it came to interacting with one another. Yes, you should keep distance and wash your hands and all that, but siblings live with each other all the time and have the same bugs and even different bugs.

Grey's took it out of proportion, that boy and girl could have very well cultured the same flora....the drs didnt know. Also, the dr does NOT have the right to refuse you lungs if you wont break up with your gf bc she has CF,(esp if they were already listed for tx, the center would have never listed them if that was an issue) they would need to take more precautions afterwards but they wouldnt need to break up. What if they were related instead!? You're not gonna say..."Oh youre no longer my sister!"

I know plenty of post tx patients and CF pre tx patients who get together and talk and the only time masks are worn are if someone is sick or you are newly post tx.

CountryGirl

I was definitely glad to see CF being recognized on Grey's although they DID dramatize it a bit (by a bit I mean A LOT) when it came to interacting with one another. Yes, you should keep distance and wash your hands and all that, but siblings live with each other all the time and have the same bugs and even different bugs.

Grey's took it out of proportion, that boy and girl could have very well cultured the same flora....the drs didnt know. Also, the dr does NOT have the right to refuse you lungs if you wont break up with your gf bc she has CF,(esp if they were already listed for tx, the center would have never listed them if that was an issue) they would need to take more precautions afterwards but they wouldnt need to break up. What if they were related instead!? You're not gonna say..."Oh youre no longer my sister!"

I know plenty of post tx patients and CF pre tx patients who get together and talk and the only time masks are worn are if someone is sick or you are newly post tx.

CountryGirl

<br />
<br />Grey's took it out of proportion, that boy and girl could have very well cultured the same flora....the drs didnt know. Also, the dr does NOT have the right to refuse you lungs if you wont break up with your gf bc she has CF,(esp if they were already listed for tx, the center would have never listed them if that was an issue) they would need to take more precautions afterwards but they wouldnt need to break up. What if they were related instead!? You're not gonna say..."Oh youre no longer my sister!"
<br />
<br />I know plenty of post tx patients and CF pre tx patients who get together and talk and the only time masks are worn are if someone is sick or you are newly post tx.

M

Mommafirst

Thanks for your take, Anna. I was thinking all the same things. Clearly, they wanted a storyline about the couple who couldn't be together, but didn't do enough research to understand that the doctors would never have the right to respond the way they did.

I'm glad it brought some attention to CF. Many of my friends have been asking, "Is it true that CF patients can't be together" and so it has opened up a forum of discussion. Even if it was a bit over the top.

And if they wanted to know she had CF, wouldn't enzymes dropping out of her bag have been better than pulmozyme. That part made me laugh.

M

Mommafirst

Thanks for your take, Anna. I was thinking all the same things. Clearly, they wanted a storyline about the couple who couldn't be together, but didn't do enough research to understand that the doctors would never have the right to respond the way they did.

I'm glad it brought some attention to CF. Many of my friends have been asking, "Is it true that CF patients can't be together" and so it has opened up a forum of discussion. Even if it was a bit over the top.

And if they wanted to know she had CF, wouldn't enzymes dropping out of her bag have been better than pulmozyme. That part made me laugh.

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />I'm glad it brought some attention to CF. Many of my friends have been asking, "Is it true that CF patients can't be together" and so it has opened up a forum of discussion. Even if it was a bit over the top.
<br />
<br />And if they wanted to know she had CF, wouldn't enzymes dropping out of her bag have been better than pulmozyme. That part made me laugh.

CountryGirl

Heather, both my mom and I were like "really!?" what is she doing carrying around Pulmozyme? First off its supposed to be refridgerated! haha...oh Hollywood!

I recall a similiar episode on ER or some other medical drama, maybe it was Private Practice...not sure. But Hollywood needs some new info on CF, a new person to talk to, to get their stories right. It makes me wonder how off they are on other diseases!

CountryGirl

Heather, both my mom and I were like "really!?" what is she doing carrying around Pulmozyme? First off its supposed to be refridgerated! haha...oh Hollywood!

I recall a similiar episode on ER or some other medical drama, maybe it was Private Practice...not sure. But Hollywood needs some new info on CF, a new person to talk to, to get their stories right. It makes me wonder how off they are on other diseases!

CountryGirl

<br />
<br />I recall a similiar episode on ER or some other medical drama, maybe it was Private Practice...not sure. But Hollywood needs some new info on CF, a new person to talk to, to get their stories right. It makes me wonder how off they are on other diseases!

T

tarheel

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>CountryGirl</b></i>

I recall a similiar episode on ER or some other medical drama, maybe it was Private Practice...not sure. But Hollywood needs some new info on CF, a new person to talk to, to get their stories right. It makes me wonder how off they are on other diseases!</end quote></div>

Well, they made cancer sexy so making CFers seem like paranoid freaks can't be that far off can it?
Personally my doc has a theory that cancer is so "hot" right now because hollywood has glamorized it so much. Maybe if they talked about chemo farts it wouldn't be so appealing. and nobody carries pulmozyme around in their purse. And as far as I'm concerned we're not so stupid as to hook up with another CFer.
How can we when we can't even meet?

T

tarheel

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>CountryGirl</b></i>

I recall a similiar episode on ER or some other medical drama, maybe it was Private Practice...not sure. But Hollywood needs some new info on CF, a new person to talk to, to get their stories right. It makes me wonder how off they are on other diseases!</end quote>

Well, they made cancer sexy so making CFers seem like paranoid freaks can't be that far off can it?
Personally my doc has a theory that cancer is so "hot" right now because hollywood has glamorized it so much. Maybe if they talked about chemo farts it wouldn't be so appealing. and nobody carries pulmozyme around in their purse. And as far as I'm concerned we're not so stupid as to hook up with another CFer.
How can we when we can't even meet?

T

tarheel

<br />
<br />Heather, both my mom and I were like "really!?" what is she doing carrying around Pulmozyme? First off its supposed to be refridgerated! haha...oh Hollywood!
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I recall a similiar episode on ER or some other medical drama, maybe it was Private Practice...not sure. But Hollywood needs some new info on CF, a new person to talk to, to get their stories right. It makes me wonder how off they are on other diseases!</end quote>
<br />
<br />Well, they made cancer sexy so making CFers seem like paranoid freaks can't be that far off can it?
<br />Personally my doc has a theory that cancer is so "hot" right now because hollywood has glamorized it so much. Maybe if they talked about chemo farts it wouldn't be so appealing. and nobody carries pulmozyme around in their purse. And as far as I'm concerned we're not so stupid as to hook up with another CFer.
<br />How can we when we can't even meet?

T

tarheel

- What can I say...
I watched it- It was stupid and depressing all at once.
And BTW I don't know where the hell you guys go to a transplant center but I know at mine they'd fo sho kick you out if you were dating another cfer. Maybe it's illegal but they'd do it.