Ciproflaxacin

L

littlemisssilly

Hi,

I take Cipro for extended periods throughout the year and thankfully, don't experience many of the side effects.

Re: insomnia, I time my doses so that I take the evening dose by 4pm and this seems to help with the insomnia part.

I really wouldn't take it after eating, the correct dose just won't get absorbed. You may as well not take it at all and switch to a different antibiotic. To me it's the same as taking it one day and not taking it the next, the efficacy is so reduced .. you may even risk resistance because the dosage will be varied / reduced.

It is an antibiotic that is meant to be taken on an empty stomach or 2-3 hours after a main meal (which is hard because I'm always eating!!). Maybe the nausea will ease a bit given that you haven't taken it for so long??

Also, not sure if you're diabetic but over the years I discovered that the class of antibiotics that Cipro belongs to cause your sugars to drop so be careful of hypos if you're on insulin. I was always having crashing hypos whenever I was on Cipro and just thought it was because my infections were clearing up etc etc that's why I required less insulin but it was the Cipro that was the main culprit for me.

L

littlemisssilly

Hi,

I take Cipro for extended periods throughout the year and thankfully, don't experience many of the side effects.

Re: insomnia, I time my doses so that I take the evening dose by 4pm and this seems to help with the insomnia part.

I really wouldn't take it after eating, the correct dose just won't get absorbed. You may as well not take it at all and switch to a different antibiotic. To me it's the same as taking it one day and not taking it the next, the efficacy is so reduced .. you may even risk resistance because the dosage will be varied / reduced.

It is an antibiotic that is meant to be taken on an empty stomach or 2-3 hours after a main meal (which is hard because I'm always eating!!). Maybe the nausea will ease a bit given that you haven't taken it for so long??

Also, not sure if you're diabetic but over the years I discovered that the class of antibiotics that Cipro belongs to cause your sugars to drop so be careful of hypos if you're on insulin. I was always having crashing hypos whenever I was on Cipro and just thought it was because my infections were clearing up etc etc that's why I required less insulin but it was the Cipro that was the main culprit for me.

L

littlemisssilly

Hi,

L

littlemisssilly

Hi,

L

littlemisssilly

Hi,

coltsfan715

I also had major issues at one point with Cipro making me sick after taking it. I trie dhard to take it as recommended - i.e. on an empty stomach. Every time I did I ended up sick and throwing up within about 30 minutes to an hour. I would get completely turned off from food in general and stop eating for a few days (yes I know horrible for us especially). I had to end up taking it with food because otherwise I just couldn't take it any other way.

I am allergic to Levaquin also - it gives me vasculitis, soooo they just refrain from it completely. I never really had any problems with Tobre IV other than diarrhea. Then again I get that with most antibiotics.

The only med I refer to as the devil is Tetracyclene. I took that for the first time my hospital stay immediately before I was transplanted. Oh that and FLAGYL. Both of those I ended up crying on the phone with my doc begging them to take me off them cause again I had stopped eating and was just getting worse and worse cause the meds were just wrecking havoc on my body. Also to add each time they took me off them both. Good thing too with the tetra. cause had I still been taking that when I was called for transplant I probably would have been too sick to have the surgery (yes it was THAT bad).

Hope you figure out something to help.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

I also had major issues at one point with Cipro making me sick after taking it. I trie dhard to take it as recommended - i.e. on an empty stomach. Every time I did I ended up sick and throwing up within about 30 minutes to an hour. I would get completely turned off from food in general and stop eating for a few days (yes I know horrible for us especially). I had to end up taking it with food because otherwise I just couldn't take it any other way.

I am allergic to Levaquin also - it gives me vasculitis, soooo they just refrain from it completely. I never really had any problems with Tobre IV other than diarrhea. Then again I get that with most antibiotics.

The only med I refer to as the devil is Tetracyclene. I took that for the first time my hospital stay immediately before I was transplanted. Oh that and FLAGYL. Both of those I ended up crying on the phone with my doc begging them to take me off them cause again I had stopped eating and was just getting worse and worse cause the meds were just wrecking havoc on my body. Also to add each time they took me off them both. Good thing too with the tetra. cause had I still been taking that when I was called for transplant I probably would have been too sick to have the surgery (yes it was THAT bad).

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

rotandroll

Emily (letsrockCFem)-- I hope you're feeling better. This will make you laugh, I read this right after you posted it yesterday but just thinking about it got me so worked up I had to unplug my IV pump and high-tail it to the bathroom to throw up! Hah. So I haven't read any of the responses because my stomach's obviously been pretty darn weak... but, I hope you've resolved the issue. Throwing up is not fun, especially from pharmaceuticals... that chemically urgent throw up feeling. Ugh. I need to stop talking about it now... hah. Hope you're better.

rotandroll

Emily (letsrockCFem)-- I hope you're feeling better. This will make you laugh, I read this right after you posted it yesterday but just thinking about it got me so worked up I had to unplug my IV pump and high-tail it to the bathroom to throw up! Hah. So I haven't read any of the responses because my stomach's obviously been pretty darn weak... but, I hope you've resolved the issue. Throwing up is not fun, especially from pharmaceuticals... that chemically urgent throw up feeling. Ugh. I need to stop talking about it now... hah. Hope you're better.

rotandroll

rotandroll

rotandroll

AnD

Found this at <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.merck.com/mmpe/lexicomp/ciprofloxacin.html">http://www.merck.com/mmpe/lexicomp/ciprofloxacin.html</a> :

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Administration: Oral

May administer with food to minimize GI upset; avoid antacid use; maintain proper hydration and urine output. Administer immediate release ciprofloxacin and Cipro® XR at least 2 hours before or 6 hours after, and Proquin® XR at least 4 hours before or 6 hours after antacids or other products containing calcium, iron, or zinc (including dairy products or calcium-fortified juices). Separate oral administration from drugs which may impair absorption (see Drug Interactions).

Oral suspension: Should not be administered through feeding tubes (suspension is oil-based and adheres to the feeding tube). Patients should avoid chewing on the microcapsules.

Nasogastric/orogastric tube: Crush immediate-release tablet and mix with water. Flush feeding tube before and after administration. Hold tube feedings at least 1 hour before and 2 hours after administration.

Tablet, extended release: Do not crush, split, or chew. May be administered with meals containing dairy products (calcium content <800 mg), but not with dairy products alone. Proquin® XR should be administered with a main meal of the day; evening meal is preferred.

</end quote></div>

I can't take Cipro (or pretty much any other antibiotic) on an empty stomach either, it gives me so much irritation, that it can take weeks for it to go away. I hope this helps some...

AnD

Found this at <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.merck.com/mmpe/lexicomp/ciprofloxacin.html">http://www.merck.com/mmpe/lexicomp/ciprofloxacin.html</a> :

May administer with food to minimize GI upset; avoid antacid use; maintain proper hydration and urine output. Administer immediate release ciprofloxacin and Cipro® XR at least 2 hours before or 6 hours after, and Proquin® XR at least 4 hours before or 6 hours after antacids or other products containing calcium, iron, or zinc (including dairy products or calcium-fortified juices). Separate oral administration from drugs which may impair absorption (see Drug Interactions).

Oral suspension: Should not be administered through feeding tubes (suspension is oil-based and adheres to the feeding tube). Patients should avoid chewing on the microcapsules.

Nasogastric/orogastric tube: Crush immediate-release tablet and mix with water. Flush feeding tube before and after administration. Hold tube feedings at least 1 hour before and 2 hours after administration.

Tablet, extended release: Do not crush, split, or chew. May be administered with meals containing dairy products (calcium content <800 mg), but not with dairy products alone. Proquin® XR should be administered with a main meal of the day; evening meal is preferred.

</end quote></div>

I can't take Cipro (or pretty much any other antibiotic) on an empty stomach either, it gives me so much irritation, that it can take weeks for it to go away. I hope this helps some...

AnD

</end quote></div>

AnD

</end quote>

AnD

</end quote>