do you let your cf'r use the shower?

mom2cameron

omg! i just read this article. im going to ask the cf doc on tuesday when we see him. i have 4 month old with cf. i sometimes have him in the bathroom with me while i shower and he sits in his bouncer if dad is not home to watch him. this really scares me. i called his ped doc a few weeks ago bc of his congestion and they told me to put him in the bathroom with the shower on hot so he could breath in the steam. they told us do this for 15 mins at a time. well thank god we only did it one time. it was so hot in there for them 15 mins. i think i sweated off 5 pounds lol.

mom2cameron

omg! i just read this article. im going to ask the cf doc on tuesday when we see him. i have 4 month old with cf. i sometimes have him in the bathroom with me while i shower and he sits in his bouncer if dad is not home to watch him. this really scares me. i called his ped doc a few weeks ago bc of his congestion and they told me to put him in the bathroom with the shower on hot so he could breath in the steam. they told us do this for 15 mins at a time. well thank god we only did it one time. it was so hot in there for them 15 mins. i think i sweated off 5 pounds lol.

mom2cameron

mom2cameron

mom2cameron

ctalbott0609

I think bathrooms are HORRIBLE breading grounds for bacteria, and I haven't asked the CF doc about it yet, but in the article I read concerning this, it said that most of the bacteria is blown out by the stream of the water. The Dr's resourced in the article agreed that if you let the water run for a few minutes before you get in, that the risk of coming in contact with any bacteria is greatly reduced. HOWEVER, I still don't think it's acceptable. I do know though, that you can buy water purification systems that clean the entire water supply for your house. However, I also know that they are VERY VERY expensive.

At the same time, I've come to realize that we cannot protect our children from everything, and that no matter how hard we clean, there will always be bacteria. I'm assuming this is just one of those times where we have to cross our fingers, and pray hard that our children are resilient to whatever they may come in contact with while in the bathroom. I really can't imagine any way to make sure they don't come in contact with bacteria.

ctalbott0609

I think bathrooms are HORRIBLE breading grounds for bacteria, and I haven't asked the CF doc about it yet, but in the article I read concerning this, it said that most of the bacteria is blown out by the stream of the water. The Dr's resourced in the article agreed that if you let the water run for a few minutes before you get in, that the risk of coming in contact with any bacteria is greatly reduced. HOWEVER, I still don't think it's acceptable. I do know though, that you can buy water purification systems that clean the entire water supply for your house. However, I also know that they are VERY VERY expensive.

At the same time, I've come to realize that we cannot protect our children from everything, and that no matter how hard we clean, there will always be bacteria. I'm assuming this is just one of those times where we have to cross our fingers, and pray hard that our children are resilient to whatever they may come in contact with while in the bathroom. I really can't imagine any way to make sure they don't come in contact with bacteria.

ctalbott0609

ctalbott0609

ctalbott0609

<br />
<br />At the same time, I've come to realize that we cannot protect our children from everything, and that no matter how hard we clean, there will always be bacteria. I'm assuming this is just one of those times where we have to cross our fingers, and pray hard that our children are resilient to whatever they may come in contact with while in the bathroom. I really can't imagine any way to make sure they don't come in contact with bacteria.
<br />

Buckeye

When you say a "Spa" I assume you're talkng about a hot tube or jacuzzi. If that's the case, then yes almost every doctor out there will tell you not to let a CFer use one.The warm water sits in those jets between uses and stagnates there. And then when you sit there with your head at water level you're breathing in all the steam and yucky water particles. The CFF also says that hot tubs cannot be adequatly chlorinated to protect against PA.

Buckeye

When you say a "Spa" I assume you're talkng about a hot tube or jacuzzi. If that's the case, then yes almost every doctor out there will tell you not to let a CFer use one.The warm water sits in those jets between uses and stagnates there. And then when you sit there with your head at water level you're breathing in all the steam and yucky water particles. The CFF also says that hot tubs cannot be adequatly chlorinated to protect against PA.

Buckeye

Buckeye

Buckeye

When you say a "Spa" I assume you're talkng about a hot tube or jacuzzi. If that's the case, then yes almost every doctor out there will tell you not to let a CFer use one.<p>The warm water sits in those jets between uses and stagnates there. And then when you sit there with your head at water level you're breathing in all the steam and yucky water particles. The CFF also says that hot tubs cannot be adequatly chlorinated to protect against PA.

kaylasdad

I think the bacieria is in the shower head itself......
They say its harder for any bacteria to cling on to all metal shower heads

kaylasdad

kaylasdad

kaylasdad

kaylasdad

<br />They say its harder for any bacteria to cling on to all metal shower heads