Do you think Dr's should be at their patients funerals?

AnD

I think it depends on the level of the relationship the doctor/patient/family has.

On the other hand, I think that a gesture (a card, or small flower arrangement, etc.) from the "clinic careteam" would be appropriate, if for nothing else, to acknowledge the passing of someone who was in their care and offer sympathy to the family.

AnD

I think it depends on the level of the relationship the doctor/patient/family has.

On the other hand, I think that a gesture (a card, or small flower arrangement, etc.) from the "clinic careteam" would be appropriate, if for nothing else, to acknowledge the passing of someone who was in their care and offer sympathy to the family.

AnD

AnD

AnD

<br />
<br /> On the other hand, I think that a gesture (a card, or small flower arrangement, etc.) from the "clinic careteam" would be appropriate, if for nothing else, to acknowledge the passing of someone who was in their care and offer sympathy to the family.

M

MCGrad2006

I would also have to say yes. I am not saying I EXPECT it, but it would be nice to have at least someone from the clinic there. I am very close with my clinic and would send condolensces if I couldnt make the visitation if something happened to one of them. Although I would make an effort to be there. One of my nurses said to me when Kathleen (with CF) died that she went to all of her patients funerals. She told me this is because it gave her a sense of closure as well. She had developed a firm relationship with many people and felt the need to go. I think overall, it is a personal preference on the part of the staff member (whether it be your Dr, nurse, PFT "guy"). You may have different relationships with all of them and therefore, some of them may feel more compelled to go to your funeral/visitation. I would say whatever they feel comfortable with is acceptable for me. I also wouldnt be hurt either way.

M

MCGrad2006

I would also have to say yes. I am not saying I EXPECT it, but it would be nice to have at least someone from the clinic there. I am very close with my clinic and would send condolensces if I couldnt make the visitation if something happened to one of them. Although I would make an effort to be there. One of my nurses said to me when Kathleen (with CF) died that she went to all of her patients funerals. She told me this is because it gave her a sense of closure as well. She had developed a firm relationship with many people and felt the need to go. I think overall, it is a personal preference on the part of the staff member (whether it be your Dr, nurse, PFT "guy"). You may have different relationships with all of them and therefore, some of them may feel more compelled to go to your funeral/visitation. I would say whatever they feel comfortable with is acceptable for me. I also wouldnt be hurt either way.

M

MCGrad2006

M

MCGrad2006

M

MCGrad2006

Emily65Roses

I think it depends a lot on the relationship, the distance between home and your CF center, and other things. I'd expect a CF team member to show up at my wake far sooner than I'd expect anyone at my funeral. And that would be fine by me. But assuming I keep the same doctor now until I die, I'd very much appreciate his at least calling Mike or something. We're very fond of him.

Though again, I wouldn't feel like... offended if no one showed up. They must get a fair amount of patients biting the dust. Really, how difficult would that be, showing up to all the services? Especially when you go during the week. Then they're missing current patients' appointments. And that kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm sort of on the fence. It'd be really nice. But it's fairly unrealistic. I think a call or a card would be sufficient, because then they're not missing whole mornings or anything, but still acknowledging the loss.

Emily65Roses

I think it depends a lot on the relationship, the distance between home and your CF center, and other things. I'd expect a CF team member to show up at my wake far sooner than I'd expect anyone at my funeral. And that would be fine by me. But assuming I keep the same doctor now until I die, I'd very much appreciate his at least calling Mike or something. We're very fond of him.

Though again, I wouldn't feel like... offended if no one showed up. They must get a fair amount of patients biting the dust. Really, how difficult would that be, showing up to all the services? Especially when you go during the week. Then they're missing current patients' appointments. And that kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm sort of on the fence. It'd be really nice. But it's fairly unrealistic. I think a call or a card would be sufficient, because then they're not missing whole mornings or anything, but still acknowledging the loss.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

<br />
<br />Though again, I wouldn't feel like... offended if no one showed up. They must get a fair amount of patients biting the dust. Really, how difficult would that be, showing up to all the services? Especially when you go during the week. Then they're missing current patients' appointments. And that kind of defeats the purpose.
<br />
<br />I'm sort of on the fence. It'd be really nice. But it's fairly unrealistic. I think a call or a card would be sufficient, because then they're not missing whole mornings or anything, but still acknowledging the loss.

JennifersHope

While part of me would like my doctor to show up, especially my primary doctor I had for so many years in NJ, my CF doctor now is soooooooo overworked and over commited to us CFers, I have heard of her sitting at the side of her patients, old people not even young ppl, staying with the family as the person dies.

She is so commited to us and I would kick her butt if she came to my funeral, I want her to not burnout, I want her to have her down time be her down time..

It is really hard, I have become very emotionally involved with some of my patients that have died, and it is so draining emotionally and not good for a health care professional over all

JennifersHope

While part of me would like my doctor to show up, especially my primary doctor I had for so many years in NJ, my CF doctor now is soooooooo overworked and over commited to us CFers, I have heard of her sitting at the side of her patients, old people not even young ppl, staying with the family as the person dies.

She is so commited to us and I would kick her butt if she came to my funeral, I want her to not burnout, I want her to have her down time be her down time..

It is really hard, I have become very emotionally involved with some of my patients that have died, and it is so draining emotionally and not good for a health care professional over all

JennifersHope

JennifersHope

JennifersHope

<br />
<br />She is so commited to us and I would kick her butt if she came to my funeral, I want her to not burnout, I want her to have her down time be her down time..
<br />
<br />It is really hard, I have become very emotionally involved with some of my patients that have died, and it is so draining emotionally and not good for a health care professional over all
<br />
<br />