Entering 2nd BB competition

CaliSally

Thanks for the info.
High protein is hard on the kidneys, and I have diabetes.
You mentioned the amino acids, which I'm only somewhat familiar with - so my question is: taking amino acid supps can help build muscle? If so, do you know if they are hard on the kidneys? It may be something you don't know, but I thought I'd ask.
Also, do you take a multi-tab type thing in amino acid form, or a variety?

My appetite sucks and so I have trouble getting enough protein. This is why I'm curious. Maybe you can shed some light...?

lilmac7

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>CaliSally</b></i>

Thanks for the info.

You mentioned the amino acids, which I'm only somewhat familiar with - so my question is: taking amino acid supps can help build muscle? If so, do you know if they are hard on the kidneys? It may be something you don't know, but I thought I'd ask.

My appetite sucks and so I have trouble getting enough protein. This is why I'm curious. Maybe you can shed some light...?</end quote></div>

Well....for bodybuilding or any type of strength training really obviously the stress and strain on the muscles, or any type of physical stress on the body in my opinion, can cause the body to go into a catabolic state or in other words eat up muscles for energy. This obviously isn't good in any case, I even notice and I'm sure most will too that after a bad episode of being in the hospital sick and we lose weight, we come out of the hospital lighter but squishy and my theory of that is that for a point mainly in the early stage of coming down sick to that degree not as much energy is required to cope with it so the body uses it's own fat stores and whatever is coming in from food but as it progresses and the energy level needs become higher the body will begin to break down muscle for energy because it takes less energy to do so compared to fat - gram for gram, according to the laws of physics.
Now where the Amino acids supplimentation comes in is that you can get a large broad spectrum of these aminos from just a few tablets or some liquid and it's already in that form, no need for the body to have to break it down so quick absorbtion and replenishment to the muscles. It may also be that different protein sources have different amountf of all the different aminos, not sure on that tho.
Whether or not aminos are hard on the kidneys I have no idea, that I would have to research more on. But a key thing to note I think is that no matter how much protein you take in will not build muscle just like that. The way to do it first of all is to send the message to your body that it needs more muscle to cope with your daily life and the obvious way to do that is to do some resistance/weight training. Not saying that you have to go all crazy with it like I do, and by the way I do all this with 38-40% PFT's so it is possible, but moderate weight training will make you see good results in due time.
Another important thing to gaining muscles is also carbs (complex carbs like potatoes) and water. A very high percentage of muscle is water and the carbs help to replenish glycogen levels and pull water into the muscles which in turn causes them to expand and get bigger. Not sure how the carbs and diabetes thing would work tho, I hope I don't develop CFRD cause that would just send me back to the drawing board and I would have to revamp my whole strategy/plan. Maybe you can tell me exactly how CFRD works so I can have some better knowledge of it and get my brain thinking of how to get around it to gain muscle. Anyway hope this helps.

Mark

lilmac7

Thanks for the info.

My appetite sucks and so I have trouble getting enough protein. This is why I'm curious. Maybe you can shed some light...?</end quote></div>

Well....for bodybuilding or any type of strength training really obviously the stress and strain on the muscles, or any type of physical stress on the body in my opinion, can cause the body to go into a catabolic state or in other words eat up muscles for energy. This obviously isn't good in any case, I even notice and I'm sure most will too that after a bad episode of being in the hospital sick and we lose weight, we come out of the hospital lighter but squishy and my theory of that is that for a point mainly in the early stage of coming down sick to that degree not as much energy is required to cope with it so the body uses it's own fat stores and whatever is coming in from food but as it progresses and the energy level needs become higher the body will begin to break down muscle for energy because it takes less energy to do so compared to fat - gram for gram, according to the laws of physics.
Now where the Amino acids supplimentation comes in is that you can get a large broad spectrum of these aminos from just a few tablets or some liquid and it's already in that form, no need for the body to have to break it down so quick absorbtion and replenishment to the muscles. It may also be that different protein sources have different amountf of all the different aminos, not sure on that tho.
Whether or not aminos are hard on the kidneys I have no idea, that I would have to research more on. But a key thing to note I think is that no matter how much protein you take in will not build muscle just like that. The way to do it first of all is to send the message to your body that it needs more muscle to cope with your daily life and the obvious way to do that is to do some resistance/weight training. Not saying that you have to go all crazy with it like I do, and by the way I do all this with 38-40% PFT's so it is possible, but moderate weight training will make you see good results in due time.
Another important thing to gaining muscles is also carbs (complex carbs like potatoes) and water. A very high percentage of muscle is water and the carbs help to replenish glycogen levels and pull water into the muscles which in turn causes them to expand and get bigger. Not sure how the carbs and diabetes thing would work tho, I hope I don't develop CFRD cause that would just send me back to the drawing board and I would have to revamp my whole strategy/plan. Maybe you can tell me exactly how CFRD works so I can have some better knowledge of it and get my brain thinking of how to get around it to gain muscle. Anyway hope this helps.

Mark

lilmac7

Thanks for the info.

Mark

Spartan936

hey lilmac. It's great to see someone else with CF moving the iron. I'm asking a lot here, but what do your lifting routine and diet look like? How many calories are you bulking on? The food has always been hard for me.

Spartan936

hey lilmac. It's great to see someone else with CF moving the iron. I'm asking a lot here, but what do your lifting routine and diet look like? How many calories are you bulking on? The food has always been hard for me.

Spartan936

lilmac7

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Spartan936</b></i>

hey lilmac. It's great to see someone else with CF moving the iron. I'm asking a lot here, but what do your lifting routine and diet look like? How many calories are you bulking on? The food has always been hard for me.</end quote></div>

I really need to sit and calculate but I think I'm in the neighborhood of 3000-3500 possibly even more. For the past month and some I've been eating alot of sweet potatoes (aka Bonia, not the orange colored ones) I prefer them to regular potatoe or rice, I take a container of them to work along with a couple cans of tuna and munch on them throughout the day. Upon waking up I eat a good size bowl of oatmeal and boil 4-6 eggs, the eggs I eat later on when I get into work at 9am. Between 10:30 and 11am I eat some of my sweet potato and 1/2 a can to a whole can of tuna. I usually have lunch around 12:30 - 1 o'clock at which I will have a large meal, I hardly go out for lunch I usually call my order somewhere pick it up and eat at the office. I live in the Cayman Islands so I usually have some sort of Caribbean cooking. This varies between beef, fish, seafood, Pork and chicken served with a good amount of rice and beans or white rice, I'm not good with veges at all tho. By 3-3:30pm I eat some more sweet potato and tuna or I'll mix a shake (namely Muscle Milk). I like Muscle Milk cause it tastes good, has alot of calories, not overly sweet like some of them can be and it mixes easily. Then around 5:30 I down some more sweet potato to give me some energy for my work out @ around 5:50-6pm. After my workout I take a suppliment called Vitargo made by a brand called Professional Suppliments, then my large dinner meal somwhere between 9 and 10pm then off to bed.
As far as my rutine goes, I workout 5 days a week and I train heavy weight that I can just manage to get 8 to 10 reps maximum with a spot from my gym partner. I do different bodyparts for different days like chest, back, arms, legs, shoulders. Abbs I'll just throw in whenever cause I really don't work them much, caughing takes care of getting them looking nice anyway and legs I'll actually put some more in on other body part days because I feel they are lagging behind from my upper body but if your legs are proprtionate to your upper body there's no need to do that. I do 3-4 sets of as I said 8 to 10 reps of 3 to 4 exercises per body part. In other word for example on arms day I'll do 3-4 sets of dumbell curls(biceps), 3-4 sets of seated incline dumbell hammer curls (biceps), 3-4 sets of preacher curls (biceps) and 3-4 sets of overhead tricep press (you guessed it tricep), 3-4 sets of cable tricep push downs, 3-4 sets of tricep extentions. Arms and legs days are my longest cause they have 2 sets of muscles to work. I try to stay away as much as possible from machines cause I feel free weights are better as they work alot of balancing muscles as well and trigger growth and strength increase better. I've seen it over and over again where people live on using machines and they seem to be pretty strong but the minute you put them under some free weights they can't do very much at all.
Hope this helps, feel free to ask me more if you neet to.

lilmac7

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Spartan936</b></i>

hey lilmac. It's great to see someone else with CF moving the iron. I'm asking a lot here, but what do your lifting routine and diet look like? How many calories are you bulking on? The food has always been hard for me.</end quote></div>

I really need to sit and calculate but I think I'm in the neighborhood of 3000-3500 possibly even more. For the past month and some I've been eating alot of sweet potatoes (aka Bonia, not the orange colored ones) I prefer them to regular potatoe or rice, I take a container of them to work along with a couple cans of tuna and munch on them throughout the day. Upon waking up I eat a good size bowl of oatmeal and boil 4-6 eggs, the eggs I eat later on when I get into work at 9am. Between 10:30 and 11am I eat some of my sweet potato and 1/2 a can to a whole can of tuna. I usually have lunch around 12:30 - 1 o'clock at which I will have a large meal, I hardly go out for lunch I usually call my order somewhere pick it up and eat at the office. I live in the Cayman Islands so I usually have some sort of Caribbean cooking. This varies between beef, fish, seafood, Pork and chicken served with a good amount of rice and beans or white rice, I'm not good with veges at all tho. By 3-3:30pm I eat some more sweet potato and tuna or I'll mix a shake (namely Muscle Milk). I like Muscle Milk cause it tastes good, has alot of calories, not overly sweet like some of them can be and it mixes easily. Then around 5:30 I down some more sweet potato to give me some energy for my work out @ around 5:50-6pm. After my workout I take a suppliment called Vitargo made by a brand called Professional Suppliments, then my large dinner meal somwhere between 9 and 10pm then off to bed.
As far as my rutine goes, I workout 5 days a week and I train heavy weight that I can just manage to get 8 to 10 reps maximum with a spot from my gym partner. I do different bodyparts for different days like chest, back, arms, legs, shoulders. Abbs I'll just throw in whenever cause I really don't work them much, caughing takes care of getting them looking nice anyway and legs I'll actually put some more in on other body part days because I feel they are lagging behind from my upper body but if your legs are proprtionate to your upper body there's no need to do that. I do 3-4 sets of as I said 8 to 10 reps of 3 to 4 exercises per body part. In other word for example on arms day I'll do 3-4 sets of dumbell curls(biceps), 3-4 sets of seated incline dumbell hammer curls (biceps), 3-4 sets of preacher curls (biceps) and 3-4 sets of overhead tricep press (you guessed it tricep), 3-4 sets of cable tricep push downs, 3-4 sets of tricep extentions. Arms and legs days are my longest cause they have 2 sets of muscles to work. I try to stay away as much as possible from machines cause I feel free weights are better as they work alot of balancing muscles as well and trigger growth and strength increase better. I've seen it over and over again where people live on using machines and they seem to be pretty strong but the minute you put them under some free weights they can't do very much at all.

lilmac7

CaliSally

Mark,
You had asked about CFRD. I think most of us are on carb counting insulins, which allow us to eat whatever, whenever, for the most part. So, I don't believe you would have much to be concerned about, if that should happen. The best way is to "balance" your foods between carbs, fats and proteins. (Ugh, something I have trouble doing, due to <b>extremely poor</b> appetite.)

I didn't know about the water in the muscles thing...since I don't drink much water, that was more reason for me to work on that issue.

Best wishes with all you are doing, excellent job!

CaliSally

Mark,
You had asked about CFRD. I think most of us are on carb counting insulins, which allow us to eat whatever, whenever, for the most part. So, I don't believe you would have much to be concerned about, if that should happen. The best way is to "balance" your foods between carbs, fats and proteins. (Ugh, something I have trouble doing, due to <b>extremely poor</b> appetite.)

I didn't know about the water in the muscles thing...since I don't drink much water, that was more reason for me to work on that issue.

CaliSally

Mark,

lilmac7

I'm not very good at the water thing either which probably supresses my gains but I'm slowly getting better at it and forcing it down. But I just hate the taste, though me not drinking enough water would proble be part of the reason I stay quite ripped all the time.