Genetic testing?

hailtayl

My husband and I are finally getting around to having a child, which is something I've always been a little nervous about. I'm wondering if everyone else had their partner do genetic testing to find out if they're a carrier? Or did you decide not to do it? I'm still undecided on this, since I'm pretty sure I want to try to get pregnant whether my husband is a carrier or not. Just wanting some advice from others who have been through all this stuff. Thanks!

hailtayl

My husband and I are finally getting around to having a child, which is something I've always been a little nervous about. I'm wondering if everyone else had their partner do genetic testing to find out if they're a carrier? Or did you decide not to do it? I'm still undecided on this, since I'm pretty sure I want to try to get pregnant whether my husband is a carrier or not. Just wanting some advice from others who have been through all this stuff. Thanks!

hailtayl

hailtayl

hailtayl

just1more

While we have not had to face this decision, I would have to strongly recommend that you have him tested.

While you state it would not affect your decision, I would tend to think that you would have to at least recognize it.

If your husband is not a carrier, then the chances of your child having CF is nearly 0%. However, if testing shows him to be a carrier, any child has a 25% chance of having CF.

just my .02 worth

just1more

While we have not had to face this decision, I would have to strongly recommend that you have him tested.

While you state it would not affect your decision, I would tend to think that you would have to at least recognize it.

If your husband is not a carrier, then the chances of your child having CF is nearly 0%. However, if testing shows him to be a carrier, any child has a 25% chance of having CF.

just my .02 worth

just1more

just my .02 worth

just1more

just my .02 worth

just1more

<br />
<br />While you state it would not affect your decision, I would tend to think that you would have to at least recognize it.
<br />
<br />If your husband is not a carrier, then the chances of your child having CF is nearly 0%. However, if testing shows him to be a carrier, any child has a 25% chance of having CF.
<br />
<br />just my .02 worth

jenhum

It was also the first step we took when we decided to have a baby. I was going to consider adoption if my husband was a carrier, but he was not. Even if you're going to go ahead with getting pregnant though, I think it would be really beneficial to know so you can plan accordingly. And I believe it's actually a 50% chance of your child having CF if your husband is a carrier. It's totally up to you- I'm a planner though, so I would want to know exactly what my risks were so I could adjust my expectations.

jenhum

It was also the first step we took when we decided to have a baby. I was going to consider adoption if my husband was a carrier, but he was not. Even if you're going to go ahead with getting pregnant though, I think it would be really beneficial to know so you can plan accordingly. And I believe it's actually a 50% chance of your child having CF if your husband is a carrier. It's totally up to you- I'm a planner though, so I would want to know exactly what my risks were so I could adjust my expectations.

jenhum

jenhum

jenhum