Going in for a tune-up and first PICC Line

ReneeP

Hi... My 12 year old, Kaitlyn, is going in next week for a tune-up. The plan is to do a PICC Line and keep her in pt for 3-4 days and then go home on IV's. She had 9 years of perfect health but has been hit very, very hard in the last 6 months. She HATES IV's... I don't know how she will react to the picc line. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? Are they always put in the same place? How bad is it to have one put in? Will she be sore after it gets put in? We've also never done home IV's and I am nervous about that as well. Thanks for any input.

ReneeP

Hi... My 12 year old, Kaitlyn, is going in next week for a tune-up. The plan is to do a PICC Line and keep her in pt for 3-4 days and then go home on IV's. She had 9 years of perfect health but has been hit very, very hard in the last 6 months. She HATES IV's... I don't know how she will react to the picc line. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? Are they always put in the same place? How bad is it to have one put in? Will she be sore after it gets put in? We've also never done home IV's and I am nervous about that as well. Thanks for any input.

ReneeP

Emily65Roses

Well, in all honesty... I had my first PICC when I was 16, and I was a big giant wuss about it. I hated the frickin thing. You want the <b>BEST</b> at PICC lines (not just IVs!! important!!) in your hospital to place her PICC. They're done with bigger needles, and they're more complicated so it's easier to screw up than it is with a tiny peripheral IV. If she really hates them, request that they use Emla cream (numbing cream) beforehand. She'll still feel part of it, but it'll be blunted some.

I had a much better time with a woman named Hannah at my hospital. I had 6 PICCs placed before I got my port. And when Hannah placed my PICC, my nerves weren't a big problem. When I had this other idiot woman place it, she stuck me with her giant damn needle several times and got nowhere with it. Hannah came in and *snap* it was done. So really make sure to get whoever is best with PICCs to do it.

Emily65Roses

Well, in all honesty... I had my first PICC when I was 16, and I was a big giant wuss about it. I hated the frickin thing. You want the <b>BEST</b> at PICC lines (not just IVs!! important!!) in your hospital to place her PICC. They're done with bigger needles, and they're more complicated so it's easier to screw up than it is with a tiny peripheral IV. If she really hates them, request that they use Emla cream (numbing cream) beforehand. She'll still feel part of it, but it'll be blunted some.

I had a much better time with a woman named Hannah at my hospital. I had 6 PICCs placed before I got my port. And when Hannah placed my PICC, my nerves weren't a big problem. When I had this other idiot woman place it, she stuck me with her giant damn needle several times and got nowhere with it. Hannah came in and *snap* it was done. So really make sure to get whoever is best with PICCs to do it.

Emily65Roses

tbw18

Yes the Picc can hurt some, when they do my son's, they use the numbing cream, and also give him a little versaid, it makes him not remenber what they did and he usually just sleeps during it, it wont hurt her in anyway, its not alot of sedation, but it really helps them alot. ASk for the Picc team which is what we have at our clinic they are wonderful with these lines. they always try to put it where it wont interfer too much with their everyday activities. We are currently on our 4th picc and this time we did things out patient, Ivs are alot to do for us, my husband and I make a schedule and we rotate the meds, so one person doesnt get burned out doing it all the time. Home Health will come in and show you everything, they usually come here once a week to draw levels and I let them change the dressing on the picc, dont worry it will get easier each and every day you do it. Just remenber always clean your hands before you do any meds, and that will help you to not get any infection in the line. Just hang on and get ready you will do great and I wish you luck during this time, please pm me if you ever need help I will say a prayer for you and your child tonight, everything will be okay.
Call your clinic nurse and ask her about light sedation for this procedure.

The Sun Rises And Sets In The Eyes Of TBW18

tbw18

Yes the Picc can hurt some, when they do my son's, they use the numbing cream, and also give him a little versaid, it makes him not remenber what they did and he usually just sleeps during it, it wont hurt her in anyway, its not alot of sedation, but it really helps them alot. ASk for the Picc team which is what we have at our clinic they are wonderful with these lines. they always try to put it where it wont interfer too much with their everyday activities. We are currently on our 4th picc and this time we did things out patient, Ivs are alot to do for us, my husband and I make a schedule and we rotate the meds, so one person doesnt get burned out doing it all the time. Home Health will come in and show you everything, they usually come here once a week to draw levels and I let them change the dressing on the picc, dont worry it will get easier each and every day you do it. Just remenber always clean your hands before you do any meds, and that will help you to not get any infection in the line. Just hang on and get ready you will do great and I wish you luck during this time, please pm me if you ever need help I will say a prayer for you and your child tonight, everything will be okay.

tbw18

tbw18

The Sun Rises And Sets In The Eyes Of TBW18 OOPS OOPS OOPS OOPS!!!!!

tbw18

tbw18

JazzysMom

I think the worst part for me was when Radiology started doing the picc lines instead of the iv team. Radiology likes to use stiches to hold it in place. QUite frankly the stiches hurt like hell. I finally asked if there was anything else they can do. They havent used stiches the last 2 times. They use a stick on clamp and when I get home the iv nurses just tape it up as always. Didnt hurt anywhere as much with no stiches. Its scary because they have to keep things as sterile as possible. Radiology uses an ultrasound & has the visual so they can guide it easier then without the equipment. Every place does it differently so I would ask if they use the numbing cream or shots of novacaine, do they require stiches or can they use a stick on clamp, do they use an ultrasound to locate a good vein and do they use equipment to guide it through?

JazzysMom

I think the worst part for me was when Radiology started doing the picc lines instead of the iv team. Radiology likes to use stiches to hold it in place. QUite frankly the stiches hurt like hell. I finally asked if there was anything else they can do. They havent used stiches the last 2 times. They use a stick on clamp and when I get home the iv nurses just tape it up as always. Didnt hurt anywhere as much with no stiches. Its scary because they have to keep things as sterile as possible. Radiology uses an ultrasound & has the visual so they can guide it easier then without the equipment. Every place does it differently so I would ask if they use the numbing cream or shots of novacaine, do they require stiches or can they use a stick on clamp, do they use an ultrasound to locate a good vein and do they use equipment to guide it through?

JazzysMom

M

Mommafirst

Hi Renee!!

From a parents perspective the PICC is not fun. I'd strongly suggest insisting that they give your daughter a sedative before the insertion. No need her freaking out or being in any pain if she can be pain free!! Our PICC team wouldn't sedate my daughter and in hindsight I am very sorry I didn't make a fuss over it. Of course my daughter is much smaller than yours, but still.

As for the home IVs, I promise you its something you can handle. I was sooo overwhelmed, but it went fine. I had to get a dry erase board to keep track of which meds and when and the times, because the home IVs were just enough to put me over the top with things to keep track of.

Hang in there!! The first hospitalization stinks, regardless of how old they are at the time!!! I hope it all goes smoothly and that she is home and doing better in no time.

And as motivation, my daughter was culturing a bunch of things -- worst was staph, we think. She was having a tough time, and now less than three months later she had an absolutely clear culture this past week. So it was worth it. For now!!!

M

Mommafirst

Hi Renee!!

From a parents perspective the PICC is not fun. I'd strongly suggest insisting that they give your daughter a sedative before the insertion. No need her freaking out or being in any pain if she can be pain free!! Our PICC team wouldn't sedate my daughter and in hindsight I am very sorry I didn't make a fuss over it. Of course my daughter is much smaller than yours, but still.

As for the home IVs, I promise you its something you can handle. I was sooo overwhelmed, but it went fine. I had to get a dry erase board to keep track of which meds and when and the times, because the home IVs were just enough to put me over the top with things to keep track of.

Hang in there!! The first hospitalization stinks, regardless of how old they are at the time!!! I hope it all goes smoothly and that she is home and doing better in no time.

And as motivation, my daughter was culturing a bunch of things -- worst was staph, we think. She was having a tough time, and now less than three months later she had an absolutely clear culture this past week. So it was worth it. For now!!!

M

Mommafirst

Hi Renee!!

krisjohn53223

I have had several PICC lines before getting a port placed years ago. I actually thought the IV was worse than the PICC. Whenever I had my PICC's placed they numbed it with lidocaine (via small needle). Now they can use Emla cream. There is NO reason a PICC needs to be stitched in place, so watch for that! They are also very easy to take care of. You'll do fine at home with her! Good Luck.

krisjohn53223

I have had several PICC lines before getting a port placed years ago. I actually thought the IV was worse than the PICC. Whenever I had my PICC's placed they numbed it with lidocaine (via small needle). Now they can use Emla cream. There is NO reason a PICC needs to be stitched in place, so watch for that! They are also very easy to take care of. You'll do fine at home with her! Good Luck.