Going in for a tune-up and first PICC Line

CFHockeyMom

Renee,

I don't want to scare you but I do want you to be prepared. Below is a link to a thread I started last fall when Sean went in to get his PICC. Not every experience is like this but I think there are some things in there that might help you.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=13617&highlight_key=y&keyword1=picc">PICC horror story</a>

Like everyone else has said, get sedation and get the best.

As for the home IV's, they weren't hard at all. I was very nervous about them but the worst part was really the schedule. The IV's themselves we a piece of cake.

CFHockeyMom

Renee,

I don't want to scare you but I do want you to be prepared. Below is a link to a thread I started last fall when Sean went in to get his PICC. Not every experience is like this but I think there are some things in there that might help you.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=13617&highlight_key=y&keyword1=picc">PICC horror story</a>

As for the home IV's, they weren't hard at all. I was very nervous about them but the worst part was really the schedule. The IV's themselves we a piece of cake.

CFHockeyMom

Renee,

CFHockeyMom

Renee,

CFHockeyMom

Renee,

CFHockeyMom

Renee,

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Renee,

Glad to hear the PICC insertion went smoothly, it's nice when things turn out they they are supposed to. The time - consuming aspect of home IV's is tough but so much better than being in the hospital. I hope you get your 8 hours of sleep soon and everything continues in the right direction.

Take care

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Renee,

Glad to hear the PICC insertion went smoothly, it's nice when things turn out they they are supposed to. The time - consuming aspect of home IV's is tough but so much better than being in the hospital. I hope you get your 8 hours of sleep soon and everything continues in the right direction.

Take care

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Renee,

Take care

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Renee,

Take care

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Renee,

Take care

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Renee,

Take care

amysmom

You may already know all of this but just in case:

Most doctors will offer a light sedative to calm the children down. Others don't like the idea. I would 'demand' they give your daughter one. It's too much stress and fear for her to lay still - which is what they'll tell her to do. The sedative is a small amount of liquid and is wonderful.

There is also a cream that numbs the skin where the PICC Line/IV will go. If IV's are hard for her (they were for my daughter too), I would put the numbing cream on before every IV. Doctors/nurses may be resistant to that too but I would make sure they do it anyway. (The cream takes 1 hour to work. Ask for it way ahead of time.)

I think any of these things that can make things better, especially when they're young, are so worth it to do. There isn't much we can do to help them so I searched for these types of things. Looking back, they all made a big difference.

My daughter is 26 now and not afraid of IV's and needles so it gets better as they get older!

amysmom

Most doctors will offer a light sedative to calm the children down. Others don't like the idea. I would 'demand' they give your daughter one. It's too much stress and fear for her to lay still - which is what they'll tell her to do. The sedative is a small amount of liquid and is wonderful.

There is also a cream that numbs the skin where the PICC Line/IV will go. If IV's are hard for her (they were for my daughter too), I would put the numbing cream on before every IV. Doctors/nurses may be resistant to that too but I would make sure they do it anyway. (The cream takes 1 hour to work. Ask for it way ahead of time.)

I think any of these things that can make things better, especially when they're young, are so worth it to do. There isn't much we can do to help them so I searched for these types of things. Looking back, they all made a big difference.

My daughter is 26 now and not afraid of IV's and needles so it gets better as they get older!

amysmom

amysmom

amysmom

amysmom

amysmom

Oops! I didn't realize you were already home and that everyone had already told you about EMLA and the sedative!

amysmom

Oops! I didn't realize you were already home and that everyone had already told you about EMLA and the sedative!