Grandparent wanna-be

JulieMelissa

I don't think there is anything wrong with him having a child. Mind you I think they should have genetic screening done first to rule out the possibilty of passing more than the carrier gene. As long as there is good support system in place to help, emotionally and physically.

JulieMelissa

I don't think there is anything wrong with him having a child. Mind you I think they should have genetic screening done first to rule out the possibilty of passing more than the carrier gene. As long as there is good support system in place to help, emotionally and physically.

JulieMelissa

JulieMelissa

JulieMelissa

Jeana

Check out the pregnancy forum and you will see just how many people with CF are trying to have kids and what methods they tried. Definitely, he should have his wife have the carrier test, which ran about $250 and my insurance actually paid 80% of that. Anyway, if he is unable to have children biologically, adoption is a great alternative. My husband and I adopted my first son at 2 days old and he is now 4. What a blessing he has been to our family. Then, after 13 years of being together, we finally got pregnant with Alex. He was born 3 weeks ago!

Jeana

Check out the pregnancy forum and you will see just how many people with CF are trying to have kids and what methods they tried. Definitely, he should have his wife have the carrier test, which ran about $250 and my insurance actually paid 80% of that. Anyway, if he is unable to have children biologically, adoption is a great alternative. My husband and I adopted my first son at 2 days old and he is now 4. What a blessing he has been to our family. Then, after 13 years of being together, we finally got pregnant with Alex. He was born 3 weeks ago!

Jeana

Jeana

Jeana

HollyCatheryn

Please see www.geocities.com/MurrensNatureMama and www.cysticfibrosismaleinfertility.com for lots of information on parenthood and CF as well as details about how he could become a father if he desires.

As an aside, I have a local friend with CF, 32, whose biological son is now about 6 months old and another a few states away whose bio son is about 3, and yet another at my clinic whose bio son is almost 4. It can be done and done well.

HollyCatheryn

Please see www.geocities.com/MurrensNatureMama and www.cysticfibrosismaleinfertility.com for lots of information on parenthood and CF as well as details about how he could become a father if he desires.

As an aside, I have a local friend with CF, 32, whose biological son is now about 6 months old and another a few states away whose bio son is about 3, and yet another at my clinic whose bio son is almost 4. It can be done and done well.

HollyCatheryn

HollyCatheryn

HollyCatheryn

<br />
<br />As an aside, I have a local friend with CF, 32, whose biological son is now about 6 months old and another a few states away whose bio son is about 3, and yet another at my clinic whose bio son is almost 4. It can be done and done well.

Charlene

I think it is wonderful that you would be supportive of your son and his girlfriend/wife if they choose to have children, either naturally, scientifically, or by adoption. I am 47, and have c.f. I tried to get pregnant for many years with no reward, we even tried invetro however I am very happy that things did not work out that way. I adopted a little girl two days old just over 17 years ago. She is the best thing ever happened to me. I think having children was exactly what I needed. I work harder every day to take care of myself (selfishly) I want more time with my daughter. There is plenty of help out there for cfers to be able to have children if he and his wife decide. Don't count it out!!!
Hope they make the right decision for them and enjoy life however they decide. Enjoy life to the fullest!!!

Charlene

I think it is wonderful that you would be supportive of your son and his girlfriend/wife if they choose to have children, either naturally, scientifically, or by adoption. I am 47, and have c.f. I tried to get pregnant for many years with no reward, we even tried invetro however I am very happy that things did not work out that way. I adopted a little girl two days old just over 17 years ago. She is the best thing ever happened to me. I think having children was exactly what I needed. I work harder every day to take care of myself (selfishly) I want more time with my daughter. There is plenty of help out there for cfers to be able to have children if he and his wife decide. Don't count it out!!!
Hope they make the right decision for them and enjoy life however they decide. Enjoy life to the fullest!!!

Charlene

Charlene

Charlene

<br />Hope they make the right decision for them and enjoy life however they decide. Enjoy life to the fullest!!!