Grow boy!!!

jimiv

Well I have been following the recommendations of Parker's nutritionist of working to maintain a 24 calorie a day diet for Parker and he lost weight this week. I thought the g-tube was supposed to work the other way. I have added some feedings in some places but I am concerned. Do I have the balance of food and enzymes right? Is the formula staying in the stomach long enough to be absorbed? Is the pump set at too high a rate? Are there gremlins interfering????? Is there a ceiling I should avoid with regard to hom many calories to pass through the tube (is 5,000 calories a day too much?)?? Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

jimiv

Well I have been following the recommendations of Parker's nutritionist of working to maintain a 24 calorie a day diet for Parker and he lost weight this week. I thought the g-tube was supposed to work the other way. I have added some feedings in some places but I am concerned. Do I have the balance of food and enzymes right? Is the formula staying in the stomach long enough to be absorbed? Is the pump set at too high a rate? Are there gremlins interfering????? Is there a ceiling I should avoid with regard to hom many calories to pass through the tube (is 5,000 calories a day too much?)?? Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

jimiv

jimiv

jimiv

pjspiegle

I don't know if 5000 calories would be too much for your guy or not. For my 14 year old, he needs at least 4000 to maintain, and 5000 if he has any hope of gaining. With that 5 year difference, I might try adding 1000 calories more and see what happens. You could add that 1000 to his tube or a 4th meal. If I remember right, I had to prove to the nutritionist that he needed more calories than she thought. Now that I have done that, she is very helpful on ideas of how to do that and for making sure we get enough supplements to accomplish it.

pjspiegle

I don't know if 5000 calories would be too much for your guy or not. For my 14 year old, he needs at least 4000 to maintain, and 5000 if he has any hope of gaining. With that 5 year difference, I might try adding 1000 calories more and see what happens. You could add that 1000 to his tube or a 4th meal. If I remember right, I had to prove to the nutritionist that he needed more calories than she thought. Now that I have done that, she is very helpful on ideas of how to do that and for making sure we get enough supplements to accomplish it.

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

jacksmom

What type of food does your son get? What type and how many enzymes does he get a day?

My son takes in 1200 calories a day and is only 18 months old. 5000 sounds like a lot.

What does his stools look like? If they are very loose or greasy that would indicate that he needs more enzymes.

Does your son get continual feeds or bolus feeds?

jacksmom

What type of food does your son get? What type and how many enzymes does he get a day?

My son takes in 1200 calories a day and is only 18 months old. 5000 sounds like a lot.

What does his stools look like? If they are very loose or greasy that would indicate that he needs more enzymes.

jacksmom

jacksmom

jacksmom

<br />
<br />My son takes in 1200 calories a day and is only 18 months old. 5000 sounds like a lot.
<br />
<br />What does his stools look like? If they are very loose or greasy that would indicate that he needs more enzymes.
<br />
<br />Does your son get continual feeds or bolus feeds?
<br />
<br />

ConnorsMom

Connor is only gaining slowly as well- 1- 1.5lbs a week 2 if we're lucky. He gets nearly 2000 calories in the night thru his g-tube (4 cans 2cal HN at 95 ml an hour for 10 hrs taking 5 Pancrease MT20's at the beginning and 5 more at the end, and his stools show this is working) and eats very little during the day. The nutritionist said not to worry about what he eats during the day, to give him his freedom of choice, but I try to get him to eat a least another 2000, but that rarely happens. I've noticed if he has a cold he tends to not gain weight- burning calories fighting it I suppose. I feel that as long as Connor gains something (we weigh him every Sat night) or at least maintains it's not a big worry. I worry more about nagging him so much about eating that he rebels and eats nothing. He definitely doesn't enjoy food like the rest of the family does!! I just make sure he eats healthy foods, and try to give him freedom of choice. Because Connor is fairly healthy we feel like he has more time to get to that ideal weight. So far his team is happy with the gradual gain.

ConnorsMom

Connor is only gaining slowly as well- 1- 1.5lbs a week 2 if we're lucky. He gets nearly 2000 calories in the night thru his g-tube (4 cans 2cal HN at 95 ml an hour for 10 hrs taking 5 Pancrease MT20's at the beginning and 5 more at the end, and his stools show this is working) and eats very little during the day. The nutritionist said not to worry about what he eats during the day, to give him his freedom of choice, but I try to get him to eat a least another 2000, but that rarely happens. I've noticed if he has a cold he tends to not gain weight- burning calories fighting it I suppose. I feel that as long as Connor gains something (we weigh him every Sat night) or at least maintains it's not a big worry. I worry more about nagging him so much about eating that he rebels and eats nothing. He definitely doesn't enjoy food like the rest of the family does!! I just make sure he eats healthy foods, and try to give him freedom of choice. Because Connor is fairly healthy we feel like he has more time to get to that ideal weight. So far his team is happy with the gradual gain.

ConnorsMom

ConnorsMom

ConnorsMom