How do you handle the worry... the what ifs?

jimiv

About a year before Parker was born, doctors found two aortic aneurysms and I needed to have two surgeries to remove them. The simple fact that medical technology and skills were able to not only detect this but repair them as well is simply amazing. When Parker was dxed with CF the average expectancy was 30 years. I think back to what was possible 30 years ago with medical care and compare it to now and there are huge leaps of progress. I will sit back and imagine what might be possible in the next 30 years and that gives me hope. I use that hope whenever I am discouraged or scared about Parker and his prognosis. I think I also think that working towards progress makes sense rather than dwelling on what might happen because I can't do anything about what hasn't happened yet. That might be considered denial but that is what helps me persevere. That and the fact that I am not alone...as this site has demonstrated for me.

jimiv

About a year before Parker was born, doctors found two aortic aneurysms and I needed to have two surgeries to remove them. The simple fact that medical technology and skills were able to not only detect this but repair them as well is simply amazing. When Parker was dxed with CF the average expectancy was 30 years. I think back to what was possible 30 years ago with medical care and compare it to now and there are huge leaps of progress. I will sit back and imagine what might be possible in the next 30 years and that gives me hope. I use that hope whenever I am discouraged or scared about Parker and his prognosis. I think I also think that working towards progress makes sense rather than dwelling on what might happen because I can't do anything about what hasn't happened yet. That might be considered denial but that is what helps me persevere. That and the fact that I am not alone...as this site has demonstrated for me.

jimiv

jimiv

jimiv

shimmereestar

I think about the what-ifs all the time. It's so hard for me too. Ellie was diagnosed in early January. She is 4 months old now. I have my great days and my hopeless days. I look at her and know how wonderful she is and that she is such a precious gift. It has been such a great help having you guys on the forum for support. I know we can get through this together

shimmereestar

I think about the what-ifs all the time. It's so hard for me too. Ellie was diagnosed in early January. She is 4 months old now. I have my great days and my hopeless days. I look at her and know how wonderful she is and that she is such a precious gift. It has been such a great help having you guys on the forum for support. I know we can get through this together

shimmereestar

shimmereestar

shimmereestar

AbbysMama

Marla,

I was thinking about this yesterday...

If you can think about the "What-ifs" as a way to gain control. I know we can't prepare for EVERY what-if, but if we can use them as a way to put things into perspective and to gain control over something we have limited control over, I think it might help. I know it is crazy to come up with several "contigency" plans, but if you do, it will empower you.

I have several, but I know that I have to be flexible where I might have to merge a couple if the what ifs don't come out exactly right.

I hope this helps. It just hit me when I was worrying about things yesterday. It helped me.

Em

AbbysMama

Marla,

If you can think about the "What-ifs" as a way to gain control. I know we can't prepare for EVERY what-if, but if we can use them as a way to put things into perspective and to gain control over something we have limited control over, I think it might help. I know it is crazy to come up with several "contigency" plans, but if you do, it will empower you.

I have several, but I know that I have to be flexible where I might have to merge a couple if the what ifs don't come out exactly right.

I hope this helps. It just hit me when I was worrying about things yesterday. It helped me.

Em

AbbysMama

Marla,

Em

AbbysMama

Marla,

Em

AbbysMama

Marla,
<br />
<br />I was thinking about this yesterday...
<br />
<br />If you can think about the "What-ifs" as a way to gain control. I know we can't prepare for EVERY what-if, but if we can use them as a way to put things into perspective and to gain control over something we have limited control over, I think it might help. I know it is crazy to come up with several "contigency" plans, but if you do, it will empower you.
<br />
<br />I have several, but I know that I have to be flexible where I might have to merge a couple if the what ifs don't come out exactly right.
<br />
<br />I hope this helps. It just hit me when I was worrying about things yesterday. It helped me.
<br />
<br />Em