How do you handle the worry... the what ifs?

2sickkids

Try looking at it the other way. Think about the fact that if you child hadn't been born with cf. You would have missed out on many lessons life will give you with cf. You learn more from things that aren't easy. Since having my sons I've grown and learned so much that I wouldn't have it they were healthy. Thank about if you child hadn't been diagnosed early how it could have caused more problems. Think about how you can look at your child everyday and know just what you have and how much they mean to you. Don't dwell on the parts that can be hard in the future. Life has no promise of being easy or going one way or another. I know the fact that my kids have cf made it easy to deal with the autism and aspergers diag they have. I had already changed my life to fit their health. Changing everything else to help them learn was no big deal. Think I can't change what is. But, know doing your best is all you can do. You can't drive down the road waiting for the next twister to hit cause you will miss the view.

2sickkids

Try looking at it the other way. Think about the fact that if you child hadn't been born with cf. You would have missed out on many lessons life will give you with cf. You learn more from things that aren't easy. Since having my sons I've grown and learned so much that I wouldn't have it they were healthy. Thank about if you child hadn't been diagnosed early how it could have caused more problems. Think about how you can look at your child everyday and know just what you have and how much they mean to you. Don't dwell on the parts that can be hard in the future. Life has no promise of being easy or going one way or another. I know the fact that my kids have cf made it easy to deal with the autism and aspergers diag they have. I had already changed my life to fit their health. Changing everything else to help them learn was no big deal. Think I can't change what is. But, know doing your best is all you can do. You can't drive down the road waiting for the next twister to hit cause you will miss the view.

2sickkids

2sickkids

2sickkids

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS was first diagnosed, he spent the first 4 weeks of life in the NICU and then another two at the local hospital and during that time we saw children in a lot worse shape than DS -- teeny tiny preemies, children with severe physical and mental disabilities. I was able to rock and feed my son, have him smile and interact with me. A number of parents weren't so lucky.

One of DS's room mates had been there for 7-8 months, had a severe cranio facial defect and not once did anyone ever come visit him.

So while we were still dealing with a life shortening disease, a recovery from infections, surgery, etc. Coming to terms with the CF. We felt much more fortunate than some of the other parents at the hospital.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS was first diagnosed, he spent the first 4 weeks of life in the NICU and then another two at the local hospital and during that time we saw children in a lot worse shape than DS -- teeny tiny preemies, children with severe physical and mental disabilities. I was able to rock and feed my son, have him smile and interact with me. A number of parents weren't so lucky.

One of DS's room mates had been there for 7-8 months, had a severe cranio facial defect and not once did anyone ever come visit him.

So while we were still dealing with a life shortening disease, a recovery from infections, surgery, etc. Coming to terms with the CF. We felt much more fortunate than some of the other parents at the hospital.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />One of DS's room mates had been there for 7-8 months, had a severe cranio facial defect and not once did anyone ever come visit him.
<br />
<br />So while we were still dealing with a life shortening disease, a recovery from infections, surgery, etc. Coming to terms with the CF. We felt much more fortunate than some of the other parents at the hospital.

MargaritaChic

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>shimmereestar</b></i>

I think about the what-ifs all the time. It's so hard for me too. Ellie was diagnosed in early January. She is 4 months old now. I have my great days and my hopeless days. I look at her and know how wonderful she is and that she is such a precious gift. It has been such a great help having you guys on the forum for support. I know we can get through this together</end quote></div>

Our daughters must have been born about the same time. Emma was born on 12/5.

MargaritaChic

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>shimmereestar</b></i>

I think about the what-ifs all the time. It's so hard for me too. Ellie was diagnosed in early January. She is 4 months old now. I have my great days and my hopeless days. I look at her and know how wonderful she is and that she is such a precious gift. It has been such a great help having you guys on the forum for support. I know we can get through this together</end quote></div>

MargaritaChic

MargaritaChic

I think about the what-ifs all the time. It's so hard for me too. Ellie was diagnosed in early January. She is 4 months old now. I have my great days and my hopeless days. I look at her and know how wonderful she is and that she is such a precious gift. It has been such a great help having you guys on the forum for support. I know we can get through this together</end quote>

MargaritaChic

<br />
<br />I think about the what-ifs all the time. It's so hard for me too. Ellie was diagnosed in early January. She is 4 months old now. I have my great days and my hopeless days. I look at her and know how wonderful she is and that she is such a precious gift. It has been such a great help having you guys on the forum for support. I know we can get through this together</end quote>
<br />
<br />Our daughters must have been born about the same time. Emma was born on 12/5.
<br />
<br />

CrissAnn

My son just called me telling me his 3 yo daughter is being tested for CF as i write this. How? There is no history in my family or my ex husbands family. He sounded frantic on the phone. He lives in Louisiana and I live in Oregon. I feel helpless. I am a nurse and i am not prepared for the possibility my beautiful granddaughter might have CF.....oh my

CrissAnn

My son just called me telling me his 3 yo daughter is being tested for CF as i write this. How? There is no history in my family or my ex husbands family. He sounded frantic on the phone. He lives in Louisiana and I live in Oregon. I feel helpless. I am a nurse and i am not prepared for the possibility my beautiful granddaughter might have CF.....oh my

CrissAnn

CrissAnn

CrissAnn