How powered neb compressors?

CJPsMom

I'm wondering if anyone has purchased a high powered neb compressor?  We've got the standard one that the insurance pays for, but after a stay in the hospital this weekend, we're interested in getting one that is more powerful.<br><br>We currently have the Pari Vios for children, with an 18 operating PSI, max of 35 psi.  The hospital used a 50 psi and the saline treatment went from about 15 minutes to about 7 - a lifetime when you're working with a 7 month old.<br><br>Does anyone have more powerful neb compressors?  Love it/hate it?  <br><br>We'd be buying this personally, so before we spend the money, we want to make sure it's the best we can get.<br><br>Thanks in advance for any input.<br><br>

CJPsMom

I'm wondering if anyone has purchased a high powered neb compressor? We've got the standard one that the insurance pays for, but after a stay in the hospital this weekend, we're interested in getting one that is more powerful.<br><br>We currently have the Pari Vios for children, with an 18 operating PSI, max of 35 psi. The hospital used a 50 psi and the saline treatment went from about 15 minutes to about 7 - a lifetime when you're working with a 7 month old.<br><br>Does anyone have more powerful neb compressors? Love it/hate it? <br><br>We'd be buying this personally, so before we spend the money, we want to make sure it's the best we can get.<br><br>Thanks in advance for any input.<br><br>

CJPsMom

I'm wondering if anyone has purchased a high powered neb compressor? We've got the standard one that the insurance pays for, but after a stay in the hospital this weekend, we're interested in getting one that is more powerful.<br><br>We currently have the Pari Vios for children, with an 18 operating PSI, max of 35 psi. The hospital used a 50 psi and the saline treatment went from about 15 minutes to about 7 - a lifetime when you're working with a 7 month old.<br><br>Does anyone have more powerful neb compressors? Love it/hate it? <br><br>We'd be buying this personally, so before we spend the money, we want to make sure it's the best we can get.<br><br>Thanks in advance for any input.<br><br>

T

TonyaH

<P>I really don't think there is a machine for home that can run like those at the hospital.  The eFlow is VERY fast, however not all meds can be given in them.  We have always used the PARIs, which started out as proneb ultras and are now being called VIOS, (which I am totally convinced is the exact same machine, different name).  Our PARIs have to be replaced about every 6 months.  It is very frustrating, but at least PARI knows they have problems and has never made us pay for a replacement.  </P>
<P> </P>
<P>I would be interested in another brand of compressor.  Not  necessarily to give us a shorter running time, but one that will have a longer life so I'm not replacing it as often.  It will be interesting to hear the other responses you get.</P>
<P> </P>

T

TonyaH

<P>I really don't think there is a machine for home that can run like those at the hospital. The eFlow is VERY fast, however not all meds can be given in them. We have always used the PARIs, which started out as proneb ultras and are now being called VIOS, (which I am totally convinced is the exact same machine, different name). Our PARIs have to be replaced about every 6 months. It is very frustrating, but at least PARI knows they have problems and has never made us pay for a replacement. </P>
<P></P>
<P>I would be interested in another brand of compressor. Not necessarily to give us a shorter running time, but one that will have a longer life so I'm not replacing it as often. It will be interesting to hear the other responses you get.</P>
<P></P>

T

TonyaH

<P>I really don't think there is a machine for home that can run like those at the hospital. The eFlow is VERY fast, however not all meds can be given in them. We have always used the PARIs, which started out as proneb ultras and are now being called VIOS, (which I am totally convinced is the exact same machine, different name). Our PARIs have to be replaced about every 6 months. It is very frustrating, but at least PARI knows they have problems and has never made us pay for a replacement. </P>
<P></P>
<P>I would be interested in another brand of compressor. Not necessarily to give us a shorter running time, but one that will have a longer life so I'm not replacing it as often. It will be interesting to hear the other responses you get.</P>
<P><BR></P>

M

Mommafirst

We have a 50psi machine at home. Its the Mobilaire by Invacare and came highly recommended by our RT. The psi's are variable so that you can adjust them for each med and the recommendations by the manufacturer. I LOVE this machine. It looks like it belongs in the garage or workshop, but it works so well. It was a couple of hundred dollars, but our insurance paid for it and we have had it without problem for over 3 years.

M

Mommafirst

We have a 50psi machine at home. Its the Mobilaire by Invacare and came highly recommended by our RT. The psi's are variable so that you can adjust them for each med and the recommendations by the manufacturer. I LOVE this machine. It looks like it belongs in the garage or workshop, but it works so well. It was a couple of hundred dollars, but our insurance paid for it and we have had it without problem for over 3 years.

M

Mommafirst

scanboyd

<P>I really question hurrying through our neb. RX. For me I want to take my time and really get the most out of the HTS and Mucomyst as well as Xopenex with the Pulmo-Aide comp. I spend a good hr. or more with those three. Coughing and getting all the mucous out. As far as Cayston and Tobi I do not mind hurrying through those. I use the the Eflow for both. Just my thoughts, sort of like going through carwash vs wash car by hand.</P>
<P> </P>
<P> </P>
<P>Of course working with seven month old, you gotta do what you gotta do, my prayers go out to you. </P>
<P> </P>
<P>They use to have mist tents back when I was a child 50yrs or so ago.</P>

scanboyd

<P>I really question hurrying through our neb. RX. For me I want to take my time and really get the most out of the HTS and Mucomyst as well as Xopenex with the Pulmo-Aide comp. I spend a good hr. or more with those three. Coughing and getting all the mucous out. As far as Cayston and Tobi I do not mind hurrying through those. I use the the Eflow for both. Just my thoughts, sort of like going through carwash vs wash car by hand.</P>
<P></P>
<P></P>
<P>Of course working with seven month old, you gotta do what you gotta do, my prayers go out to you. </P>
<P></P>

scanboyd

<P></P>
<P></P>
<P></P>

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I really question hurrying through our neb.</end quote></div>
I agree with Scanboyd.

Hypertonic saline takes about 15min (longer than any of our other meds for sure) but that is one I am not sure I'd want to rush either. That one is designed to hydrate the mucus and make it easier to expel... if the lungs are exposed to it a bit longer that seems better to me.

I'd only want to do a med at 50psi if it was approved to do so (Pulmozyme is with a Sidestream neb, for example.) If we could afford a Mobilaire I'd love to have one, to have the choice of customizing treatments and for the durability.

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I really question hurrying through our neb.</end quote>
I agree with Scanboyd.

Hypertonic saline takes about 15min (longer than any of our other meds for sure) but that is one I am not sure I'd want to rush either. That one is designed to hydrate the mucus and make it easier to expel... if the lungs are exposed to it a bit longer that seems better to me.

I'd only want to do a med at 50psi if it was approved to do so (Pulmozyme is with a Sidestream neb, for example.) If we could afford a Mobilaire I'd love to have one, to have the choice of customizing treatments and for the durability.

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I really question hurrying through our neb.</end quote>
<br />I agree with Scanboyd.
<br />
<br />Hypertonic saline takes about 15min (longer than any of our other meds for sure) but that is one I am not sure I'd want to rush either. That one is designed to hydrate the mucus and make it easier to expel... if the lungs are exposed to it a bit longer that seems better to me.
<br />
<br />I'd only want to do a med at 50psi if it was approved to do so (Pulmozyme is with a Sidestream neb, for example.) If we could afford a Mobilaire I'd love to have one, to have the choice of customizing treatments and for the durability.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
We also use the Mobileaire and love it.  Our insurance paid 80% or 90% of the cost which is huge because I believe it costs over $300.  <div><br></div><div>We don't run the meds at 50 psi, they are done at 30-35 psi.  But at least with this machine I know what psi it is running at (it has a gauge to show actual psi).   </div><div><br></div><div>I agree in not setting the machine at 50 and blasting through the treatment.  But having a machine take longer than necessary can be just as damaging.  If the machine is running at too low a psi (when the Pari machine starts to die, I think the psi starts to gradually decrease) the medication is not broken down to small enough particle size.  If it is not broken down small enough the medication won't reach the small airways.</div><div><br></div><div>So I do love the Mobileaire, but not because my daughter can just blast through her treatment.  I love it because I KNOW she is able to do her meds at the appropriate psi.  When she had the pari, we never knew if it was functioning at 100%.</div><div><br></div><div>That is my 2 cents.</div>

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
We also use the Mobileaire and love it. Our insurance paid 80% or 90% of the cost which is huge because I believe it costs over $300. <br>We don't run the meds at 50 psi, they are done at 30-35 psi. But at least with this machine I know what psi it is running at (it has a gauge to show actual psi). <br>I agree in not setting the machine at 50 and blasting through the treatment. But having a machine take longer than necessary can be just as damaging. If the machine is running at too low a psi (when the Pari machine starts to die, I think the psi starts to gradually decrease) the medication is not broken down to small enough particle size. If it is not broken down small enough the medication won't reach the small airways.<br>So I do love the Mobileaire, but not because my daughter can just blast through her treatment. I love it because I KNOW she is able to do her meds at the appropriate psi. When she had the pari, we never knew if it was functioning at 100%.<br>That is my 2 cents.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
We also use the Mobileaire and love it. Our insurance paid 80% or 90% of the cost which is huge because I believe it costs over $300. <br>We don't run the meds at 50 psi, they are done at 30-35 psi. But at least with this machine I know what psi it is running at (it has a gauge to show actual psi). <br>I agree in not setting the machine at 50 and blasting through the treatment. But having a machine take longer than necessary can be just as damaging. If the machine is running at too low a psi (when the Pari machine starts to die, I think the psi starts to gradually decrease) the medication is not broken down to small enough particle size. If it is not broken down small enough the medication won't reach the small airways.<br>So I do love the Mobileaire, but not because my daughter can just blast through her treatment. I love it because I KNOW she is able to do her meds at the appropriate psi. When she had the pari, we never knew if it was functioning at 100%.<br>That is my 2 cents.

cf4life

I love my Invacare Mobileaire 50 psi. It is a bit faster then doing nebs in the hospital. It took a couple weeks to get it approved and ordered, but my insurance paid 100%. I run mine at 40 psi. Just remember for Tobi you would need to turn down the psi. Off the top of my head I think Tobi needs to be run at 25 psi, but don't quote me on it.

cf4life

I love my Invacare Mobileaire 50 psi. It is a bit faster then doing nebs in the hospital. It took a couple weeks to get it approved and ordered, but my insurance paid 100%. I run mine at 40 psi. Just remember for Tobi you would need to turn down the psi. Off the top of my head I think Tobi needs to be run at 25 psi, but don't quote me on it.