Human Growth Hormone (HGH)

T

TonyaH

Glad I'm not the only one to think about this. My son is only 10 years old, but it will be interesting to see what the next few years bring in CF care!

T

TonyaH

Glad I'm not the only one to think about this. My son is only 10 years old, but it will be interesting to see what the next few years bring in CF care!

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH

I actually did the HGH study when I was about 10. I took one injection every other day for a year. I grew an inch, tops, and besides that, there were no other differences. At 27 years old, I am 5' even, and I am just as strong or weak as any other cf patient is, and I always have been. Now all these stories coming out about what it actually does to the body, make me a little nervous about what might happen to me down the road. I took it for a year and they have *theoretically* linked it to both cancer and diabetes. Of course, like anything else, there are a million conflicting studies on it. The difference with this is that there seem to be very FEW studies on the actual benefits for people with cf, only the could-be risks. I think that it will be bounced around for many more years to come before they decide if it truly helps or not.

I actually did the HGH study when I was about 10. I took one injection every other day for a year. I grew an inch, tops, and besides that, there were no other differences. At 27 years old, I am 5' even, and I am just as strong or weak as any other cf patient is, and I always have been. Now all these stories coming out about what it actually does to the body, make me a little nervous about what might happen to me down the road. I took it for a year and they have *theoretically* linked it to both cancer and diabetes. Of course, like anything else, there are a million conflicting studies on it. The difference with this is that there seem to be very FEW studies on the actual benefits for people with cf, only the could-be risks. I think that it will be bounced around for many more years to come before they decide if it truly helps or not.

cf4life

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>TinyGreenTurtles</b></i>

I actually did the HGH study when I was about 10. I took one injection every other day for a year. I grew an inch, tops, and besides that, there were no other differences. At 27 years old, I am 5' even, and I am just as strong or weak as any other cf patient is, and I always have been. Now all these stories coming out about what it actually does to the body, make me a little nervous about what might happen to me down the road. I took it for a year and they have *theoretically* linked it to both cancer and diabetes. Of course, like anything else, there are a million conflicting studies on it. The difference with this is that there seem to be very FEW studies on the actual benefits for people with cf, only the could-be risks. I think that it will be bounced around for many more years to come before they decide if it truly helps or not.</end quote></div>

What kind of study was it? Are you sure you had HGH or just a placebo.

cf4life

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>TinyGreenTurtles</b></i>

I actually did the HGH study when I was about 10. I took one injection every other day for a year. I grew an inch, tops, and besides that, there were no other differences. At 27 years old, I am 5' even, and I am just as strong or weak as any other cf patient is, and I always have been. Now all these stories coming out about what it actually does to the body, make me a little nervous about what might happen to me down the road. I took it for a year and they have *theoretically* linked it to both cancer and diabetes. Of course, like anything else, there are a million conflicting studies on it. The difference with this is that there seem to be very FEW studies on the actual benefits for people with cf, only the could-be risks. I think that it will be bounced around for many more years to come before they decide if it truly helps or not.</end quote></div>

cf4life

cf4life

I actually did the HGH study when I was about 10. I took one injection every other day for a year. I grew an inch, tops, and besides that, there were no other differences. At 27 years old, I am 5' even, and I am just as strong or weak as any other cf patient is, and I always have been. Now all these stories coming out about what it actually does to the body, make me a little nervous about what might happen to me down the road. I took it for a year and they have *theoretically* linked it to both cancer and diabetes. Of course, like anything else, there are a million conflicting studies on it. The difference with this is that there seem to be very FEW studies on the actual benefits for people with cf, only the could-be risks. I think that it will be bounced around for many more years to come before they decide if it truly helps or not.</end quote>

cf4life

<br />
<br />I actually did the HGH study when I was about 10. I took one injection every other day for a year. I grew an inch, tops, and besides that, there were no other differences. At 27 years old, I am 5' even, and I am just as strong or weak as any other cf patient is, and I always have been. Now all these stories coming out about what it actually does to the body, make me a little nervous about what might happen to me down the road. I took it for a year and they have *theoretically* linked it to both cancer and diabetes. Of course, like anything else, there are a million conflicting studies on it. The difference with this is that there seem to be very FEW studies on the actual benefits for people with cf, only the could-be risks. I think that it will be bounced around for many more years to come before they decide if it truly helps or not.</end quote>
<br />
<br />What kind of study was it? Are you sure you had HGH or just a placebo.

CFHockeyMom

There has been at least one study regarding the effects of HGH on CF kids. The thinking behind the study was that if the kids could grow it would also improve their lung function. Sean participated in it through his clinic at the University of Michigan and I just spoke with his Dr. regarding the results. The study is not yet complete.

Sean, unfortunately, was in the control group (i.e. he did not receive the HGH). Obviously the study is targeted at kids that are in the lowest percentile for height/weight (below 10%). Although HGH does seem like it would be beneficial, we do know one of the kids that received the drug. He grew 3 inches over the length of the study (18mos.) but he's still below the 10th percentile. Not the results he was hoping for. The other issue is the risk of side effects. The big one, listed in the study information we were given, being a huge increase in likelyhood of developing leukemia. Others include edema, joint pain, high blood pressure, diabetes, and enlargement of male mammary glands.

CFHockeyMom

There has been at least one study regarding the effects of HGH on CF kids. The thinking behind the study was that if the kids could grow it would also improve their lung function. Sean participated in it through his clinic at the University of Michigan and I just spoke with his Dr. regarding the results. The study is not yet complete.

Sean, unfortunately, was in the control group (i.e. he did not receive the HGH). Obviously the study is targeted at kids that are in the lowest percentile for height/weight (below 10%). Although HGH does seem like it would be beneficial, we do know one of the kids that received the drug. He grew 3 inches over the length of the study (18mos.) but he's still below the 10th percentile. Not the results he was hoping for. The other issue is the risk of side effects. The big one, listed in the study information we were given, being a huge increase in likelyhood of developing leukemia. Others include edema, joint pain, high blood pressure, diabetes, and enlargement of male mammary glands.

CFHockeyMom

CFHockeyMom

CFHockeyMom

<br />
<br />Sean, unfortunately, was in the control group (i.e. he did not receive the HGH). Obviously the study is targeted at kids that are in the lowest percentile for height/weight (below 10%). Although HGH does seem like it would be beneficial, we do know one of the kids that received the drug. He grew 3 inches over the length of the study (18mos.) but he's still below the 10th percentile. Not the results he was hoping for. The other issue is the risk of side effects. The big one, listed in the study information we were given, being a huge increase in likelyhood of developing leukemia. Others include edema, joint pain, high blood pressure, diabetes, and enlargement of male mammary glands.
<br />