Human Growth Hormone (HGH)

C

cfsucks

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>CFHockeyMom</b></i>Although HGH does seem like it would be beneficial, we do know one of the kids that received the drug. He grew 3 inches over the length of the study (18mos.) but he's still below the 10th percentile. Not the results he was hoping for. The other issue is the risk of side effects. The big one, listed in the study information we were given, being a huge increase in likelyhood of developing leukemia. Others include edema, joint pain, high blood pressure, diabetes, and enlargement of male mammary glands.</end quote></div>

3 inches is quite an improvement, I don't think you can expect much more. How old was he when he went on the treatment?

I never knew that leukemia likelihood increasing was an effect of HGH. I'll have to read up more on it.

After a quick search I found this site, not too sure on it's reliability...

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/creutz/update.htm
">http://www.endocrine.niddk.nih...ubs/creutz/update.htm
</a>
"Cancer

Our studies of people treated with NHPP hGH show no increased risk of cancer in those who did not have tumors before hGH treatment. Many people who received NHPP hGH had brain tumors that caused their lack of hGH. People who have had one tumor have an increased risk for getting other tumors.

Researchers recently reported that two people treated with hGH in Britain developed colon cancer. Two U.S patients who received hGH also died of colon cancer. This small number of cases isn't enough for us to say if there is an increased risk for all those treated with hGH. We are asking the FDA to tell us if other people treated with hGH report colon cancer. We also ask that you report colon cancer if it occurs so we can learn if there really is increased risk.

We told you in previous updates that Japanese doctors reported in 1988 that some people who received hGH seemed to have a higher rate of leukemia. We studied those who got hGH in the U.S. and found no higher rate of leukemia in those who had not had tumors before getting hGH. A more recent study by Japanese researchers found no increase in leukemia in people who did not have tumors or radiation before hGH treatment."

The big worry on that site is Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, as 26 out of 7 thousand Americans treated with HGH developed it.

C

cfsucks

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>CFHockeyMom</b></i>Although HGH does seem like it would be beneficial, we do know one of the kids that received the drug. He grew 3 inches over the length of the study (18mos.) but he's still below the 10th percentile. Not the results he was hoping for. The other issue is the risk of side effects. The big one, listed in the study information we were given, being a huge increase in likelyhood of developing leukemia. Others include edema, joint pain, high blood pressure, diabetes, and enlargement of male mammary glands.</end quote></div>

3 inches is quite an improvement, I don't think you can expect much more. How old was he when he went on the treatment?

I never knew that leukemia likelihood increasing was an effect of HGH. I'll have to read up more on it.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/creutz/update.htm
</a>
"Cancer

Our studies of people treated with NHPP hGH show no increased risk of cancer in those who did not have tumors before hGH treatment. Many people who received NHPP hGH had brain tumors that caused their lack of hGH. People who have had one tumor have an increased risk for getting other tumors.

Researchers recently reported that two people treated with hGH in Britain developed colon cancer. Two U.S patients who received hGH also died of colon cancer. This small number of cases isn't enough for us to say if there is an increased risk for all those treated with hGH. We are asking the FDA to tell us if other people treated with hGH report colon cancer. We also ask that you report colon cancer if it occurs so we can learn if there really is increased risk.

We told you in previous updates that Japanese doctors reported in 1988 that some people who received hGH seemed to have a higher rate of leukemia. We studied those who got hGH in the U.S. and found no higher rate of leukemia in those who had not had tumors before getting hGH. A more recent study by Japanese researchers found no increase in leukemia in people who did not have tumors or radiation before hGH treatment."

The big worry on that site is Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, as 26 out of 7 thousand Americans treated with HGH developed it.

C

cfsucks

</a>
"Cancer

C

cfsucks

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>CFHockeyMom</b></i>Although HGH does seem like it would be beneficial, we do know one of the kids that received the drug. He grew 3 inches over the length of the study (18mos.) but he's still below the 10th percentile. Not the results he was hoping for. The other issue is the risk of side effects. The big one, listed in the study information we were given, being a huge increase in likelyhood of developing leukemia. Others include edema, joint pain, high blood pressure, diabetes, and enlargement of male mammary glands.</end quote>

</a>
"Cancer

C

cfsucks

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>CFHockeyMom</b></i>Although HGH does seem like it would be beneficial, we do know one of the kids that received the drug. He grew 3 inches over the length of the study (18mos.) but he's still below the 10th percentile. Not the results he was hoping for. The other issue is the risk of side effects. The big one, listed in the study information we were given, being a huge increase in likelyhood of developing leukemia. Others include edema, joint pain, high blood pressure, diabetes, and enlargement of male mammary glands.</end quote>
<br />
<br />3 inches is quite an improvement, I don't think you can expect much more. How old was he when he went on the treatment?
<br />
<br />I never knew that leukemia likelihood increasing was an effect of HGH. I'll have to read up more on it.
<br />
<br />After a quick search I found this site, not too sure on it's reliability...
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/creutz/update.htm
</a><br />
<br />"Cancer
<br />
<br />Our studies of people treated with NHPP hGH show no increased risk of cancer in those who did not have tumors before hGH treatment. Many people who received NHPP hGH had brain tumors that caused their lack of hGH. People who have had one tumor have an increased risk for getting other tumors.
<br />
<br />Researchers recently reported that two people treated with hGH in Britain developed colon cancer. Two U.S patients who received hGH also died of colon cancer. This small number of cases isn't enough for us to say if there is an increased risk for all those treated with hGH. We are asking the FDA to tell us if other people treated with hGH report colon cancer. We also ask that you report colon cancer if it occurs so we can learn if there really is increased risk.
<br />
<br />We told you in previous updates that Japanese doctors reported in 1988 that some people who received hGH seemed to have a higher rate of leukemia. We studied those who got hGH in the U.S. and found no higher rate of leukemia in those who had not had tumors before getting hGH. A more recent study by Japanese researchers found no increase in leukemia in people who did not have tumors or radiation before hGH treatment."
<br />
<br />The big worry on that site is Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, as 26 out of 7 thousand Americans treated with HGH developed it.

julie

I find this to be a very interesting topic.... HGH is used for AIDS patients, and CF is similar in the sense that both diseases are wasting diseases. I hope they do some more research on this issue soon.

julie

I find this to be a very interesting topic.... HGH is used for AIDS patients, and CF is similar in the sense that both diseases are wasting diseases. I hope they do some more research on this issue soon.

julie

julie

julie

ReneeP

Isn't Genotropin an HGH? If so, I thought they do use it in CF patients...I know they had my daughter on it for a while.

Maybe it's something different that you are talking about...

Or maybe it is used, just not as much as you'd think in CF patients.

My daughter, however, had a VERY SEVERE reaction to the Genotropin, the HGH she was on. She had injections 6 days a week for about 8 months when she suddenly started having severe headaches and ended up having to have a spinal tap done. The doctor at Cook Children's in Fort Worth who did her spinal tap said he had never seen a patient have as much fluid on their brain as Kaitlyn did (this was last year when she was 12 years old). Her optic nerve was swollen because of it and is still not completely normal. She was at risk of going blind. It scared the living daylights out of us all. She is still being monitored by a neurologist and an opthamologist because of it.

Apparently this is a rare but well known side effect of HGH. And it usually happens when they first start the injections or when the dosage is increased. They aren't sure why it happened when it did in her.

Anyway, my point is that maybe this is one reason it's not used more frequently???? Maybe not... I don't know. But I will never let them put her back on it, nor will I allow my other daughter to go on it (and she is the smaller of the two so I know they are going to push me). I'd love to boost their growth, but not that that cost...

ReneeP

Isn't Genotropin an HGH? If so, I thought they do use it in CF patients...I know they had my daughter on it for a while.

My daughter, however, had a VERY SEVERE reaction to the Genotropin, the HGH she was on. She had injections 6 days a week for about 8 months when she suddenly started having severe headaches and ended up having to have a spinal tap done. The doctor at Cook Children's in Fort Worth who did her spinal tap said he had never seen a patient have as much fluid on their brain as Kaitlyn did (this was last year when she was 12 years old). Her optic nerve was swollen because of it and is still not completely normal. She was at risk of going blind. It scared the living daylights out of us all. She is still being monitored by a neurologist and an opthamologist because of it.

Apparently this is a rare but well known side effect of HGH. And it usually happens when they first start the injections or when the dosage is increased. They aren't sure why it happened when it did in her.

Anyway, my point is that maybe this is one reason it's not used more frequently???? Maybe not... I don't know. But I will never let them put her back on it, nor will I allow my other daughter to go on it (and she is the smaller of the two so I know they are going to push me). I'd love to boost their growth, but not that that cost...

ReneeP

ReneeP

ReneeP

<br />
<br />Maybe it's something different that you are talking about...
<br />
<br />Or maybe it is used, just not as much as you'd think in CF patients.
<br />
<br />My daughter, however, had a VERY SEVERE reaction to the Genotropin, the HGH she was on. She had injections 6 days a week for about 8 months when she suddenly started having severe headaches and ended up having to have a spinal tap done. The doctor at Cook Children's in Fort Worth who did her spinal tap said he had never seen a patient have as much fluid on their brain as Kaitlyn did (this was last year when she was 12 years old). Her optic nerve was swollen because of it and is still not completely normal. She was at risk of going blind. It scared the living daylights out of us all. She is still being monitored by a neurologist and an opthamologist because of it.
<br />
<br />Apparently this is a rare but well known side effect of HGH. And it usually happens when they first start the injections or when the dosage is increased. They aren't sure why it happened when it did in her.
<br />
<br />Anyway, my point is that maybe this is one reason it's not used more frequently???? Maybe not... I don't know. But I will never let them put her back on it, nor will I allow my other daughter to go on it (and she is the smaller of the two so I know they are going to push me). I'd love to boost their growth, but not that that cost...
<br />
<br />