I disagree

M

Markus

its funny that every time that I go into the hospital they just hand the cups over the 02 lever and leave it there for the whole time...They never even switched the cups for the different meds.

M

Mommafirst

I disagree too -- and so does the CFF. Their sterilization and neb cleaning protocol is pretty clear. Whomever said this is just downright wrong.

M

Mommafirst

I disagree too -- and so does the CFF. Their sterilization and neb cleaning protocol is pretty clear. Whomever said this is just downright wrong.

M

Mommafirst

<br />

petnurse

Wow Katie! That is nuts! I did not think that was an issue with clinics anymore :-( I did want to throw in that we also use the Control III disinfectant. Hospitals use it to sterilze BiPap and nebulizer equipment. It kills all the cf bugs. We don't always boil anymore (as that is the same step as the Control). It makes our lives even easier. I took a bottle to clinic last month just to be sure and they said it was fine.

petnurse

Wow Katie! That is nuts! I did not think that was an issue with clinics anymore :-( I did want to throw in that we also use the Control III disinfectant. Hospitals use it to sterilze BiPap and nebulizer equipment. It kills all the cf bugs. We don't always boil anymore (as that is the same step as the Control). It makes our lives even easier. I took a bottle to clinic last month just to be sure and they said it was fine.

petnurse

just1more

Devil's advocate here (not saying I don't sterilize, just asking everyone to pause & think):

What are you trying to kill by sterilizing? If you start with a clean/sterile neb, and use it to administer for one child, then at most it becomes contaminated with whatever is already in their lungs.

You then rinse (even RT's do this) which removes most surface contaminates. What is left is very low level of bacteria, which is almost assured to be best equipped to live in warm/moist lungs not dry plastic. In addition, the nebulizer has little or no food source so life will be short for any bacteria that have made it this far.

I'm not aware of any formal research, but the odds of either 1) growing a large enough culture on dry plastic to impact your health or 2) somehow contaminate with a new culture before sterilizing, but NOT after are pretty low.

Realistically the basics of microbiology says the risk of complications is pretty low.

Sorry to those of you that compulsively sterilize, but there are more germs on your skin than that neb and you still kiss your kids.

just1more

Devil's advocate here (not saying I don't sterilize, just asking everyone to pause & think):

What are you trying to kill by sterilizing? If you start with a clean/sterile neb, and use it to administer for one child, then at most it becomes contaminated with whatever is already in their lungs.

You then rinse (even RT's do this) which removes most surface contaminates. What is left is very low level of bacteria, which is almost assured to be best equipped to live in warm/moist lungs not dry plastic. In addition, the nebulizer has little or no food source so life will be short for any bacteria that have made it this far.

I'm not aware of any formal research, but the odds of either 1) growing a large enough culture on dry plastic to impact your health or 2) somehow contaminate with a new culture before sterilizing, but NOT after are pretty low.

Realistically the basics of microbiology says the risk of complications is pretty low.

Sorry to those of you that compulsively sterilize, but there are more germs on your skin than that neb and you still kiss your kids.

just1more

<br />
<br />What are you trying to kill by sterilizing? If you start with a clean/sterile neb, and use it to administer for one child, then at most it becomes contaminated with whatever is already in their lungs.
<br />
<br />You then rinse (even RT's do this) which removes most surface contaminates. What is left is very low level of bacteria, which is almost assured to be best equipped to live in warm/moist lungs not dry plastic. In addition, the nebulizer has little or no food source so life will be short for any bacteria that have made it this far.
<br />
<br />I'm not aware of any formal research, but the odds of either 1) growing a large enough culture on dry plastic to impact your health or 2) somehow contaminate with a new culture before sterilizing, but NOT after are pretty low.
<br />
<br />Realistically the basics of microbiology says the risk of complications is pretty low.
<br />
<br />Sorry to those of you that compulsively sterilize, but there are more germs on your skin than that neb and you still kiss your kids.

just1more

Just as a point of reference, healthy pseudomonas aeruginosa placed on a dry surface dies rapidly.
<br>
<br><10% of the initial bacteria is still alive 2hrs later, and by 6 hrs < 1% are still alive. thus merely letting your nebs sit & air dry from the morning to evening treatment kills >99% of PA.
<br>
<br>http://jac.oxfordjournals.org/content/50/5/657.full.pdf

just1more

Just as a point of reference, healthy pseudomonas aeruginosa placed on a dry surface dies rapidly.
<br>
<br><10% of the initial bacteria is still alive 2hrs later, and by 6 hrs < 1% are still alive. thus merely letting your nebs sit & air dry from the morning to evening treatment kills >99% of PA.
<br>

just1more

<br>
<br>

hmw

An interesting article. The study is small, but the percentages involved make it clear that keeping your stuff clean is important! <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17584406">Microbial contamination of nebulizers in the home treatment of cystic fibrosis</a>

hmw

An interesting article. The study is small, but the percentages involved make it clear that keeping your stuff clean is important! <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17584406">Microbial contamination of nebulizers in the home treatment of cystic fibrosis</a>

hmw

xin

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>just1more</b></i><br>What is left is very low level of bacteria, which is almost assured to be best equipped to live in warm/moist lungs not dry plastic. In addition, the nebulizer has little or no food source so life will be short for any bacteria that have made it this far.</end quote></div><br><br>Interesting point. <br><br>I am glad this topic has been brought up, because I've purposely avoided using my nebulizer out of (probably irrational) fear that it's going to do <i>me</i> more harm than good. <br><br>To explain further, I am a recently diagnosed, very mild CF case, and apart from regularly coughing up snot, I'm extremely healthy. It occurred to me that if I start using my neb, I may inadvertently inhale bacteria that I would have otherwise avoided. (Again, this may be irrational. And I don't recommend that <i>anyone</i> follows my example. I am responsible for precisely one person's health - mine.) <br><br>

xin

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>just1more</b></i><br>What is left is very low level of bacteria, which is almost assured to be best equipped to live in warm/moist lungs not dry plastic. In addition, the nebulizer has little or no food source so life will be short for any bacteria that have made it this far.</end quote><br><br>Interesting point. <br><br>I am glad this topic has been brought up, because I've purposely avoided using my nebulizer out of (probably irrational) fear that it's going to do <i>me</i> more harm than good. <br><br>To explain further, I am a recently diagnosed, very mild CF case, and apart from regularly coughing up snot, I'm extremely healthy. It occurred to me that if I start using my neb, I may inadvertently inhale bacteria that I would have otherwise avoided. (Again, this may be irrational. And I don't recommend that <i>anyone</i> follows my example. I am responsible for precisely one person's health - mine.) <br><br>

xin

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>just1more</b></i><br>What is left is very low level of bacteria, which is almost assured to be best equipped to live in warm/moist lungs not dry plastic. In addition, the nebulizer has little or no food source so life will be short for any bacteria that have made it this far.</end quote><br><br>Interesting point. <br><br>I am glad this topic has been brought up, because I've purposely avoided using my nebulizer out of (probably irrational) fear that it's going to do <i>me</i> more harm than good. <br><br>To explain further, I am a recently diagnosed, very mild CF case, and apart from regularly coughing up snot, I'm extremely healthy. It occurred to me that if I start using my neb, I may inadvertently inhale bacteria that I would have otherwise avoided. (Again, this may be irrational. And I don't recommend that <i>anyone</i> follows my example. I am responsible for precisely one person's health - mine.) <br><br>

randmel89

I only  sterilize my nebulizers once a week every sunday after my last treatment. I have been doing this for years and I do just fine...