I want to know what percent of CFers work

MMDanehy417

I work full time and have since I was 18. I am currently 30 my FEV1 are at 50% and until the past 2 years had no problem going to school and working full time. Im currently thinking about stopping school (currently going part time at night) due to reoccurring sickness when stressed from mid terms and finals. <br><br>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`<br>Molly 30 CF, CFRD, CFRLD<br>

MMDanehy417

I work full time and have since I was 18. I am currently 30 my FEV1 are at 50% and until the past 2 years had no problem going to school and working full time. Im currently thinking about stopping school (currently going part time at night) due to reoccurring sickness when stressed from mid terms and finals. <br><br>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`<br>Molly 30 CF, CFRD, CFRLD<br>

L

lifeisgood729

I stopped working after my third child was born. It was just too much for me to take care of the kids, do all my treatments, and somehow get to work by 8 a.m. Plus, I was a teacher and was catching too many colds from my students. When I stopped working 10 years ago, my FEV1 was around 90%. Now it's around 60%. I think I would be in much worse shape if I hadn't slowed down when I did.<br><br>Martha<br>43 w/CF <br>

L

lifeisgood729

I stopped working after my third child was born. It was just too much for me to take care of the kids, do all my treatments, and somehow get to work by 8 a.m. Plus, I was a teacher and was catching too many colds from my students. When I stopped working 10 years ago, my FEV1 was around 90%. Now it's around 60%. I think I would be in much worse shape if I hadn't slowed down when I did.<br><br>Martha<br>43 w/CF <br>

L

lifeisgood729

JustDucky

I worked full time until about 8 years ago when things went downhill fast...I worked 12 hr shifts in an ICU as a nurse, I was sick often and back then, docs did not know why (had no CF dx at the time, just severe "asthma"). I finally had to quit when my diaphragm weakened (suspected myopathy) and I needed much more respiratory support. Ever since then, I have been a home body, raising my kids who are now 18 and nearly 20. My FEV is in the mid 30's, has been as low as 12 though (was as close to dying as anyone could get according to my docs). <br><br>Jenn 39 w/CF<br>

JustDucky

I worked full time until about 8 years ago when things went downhill fast...I worked 12 hr shifts in an ICU as a nurse, I was sick often and back then, docs did not know why (had no CF dx at the time, just severe "asthma"). I finally had to quit when my diaphragm weakened (suspected myopathy) and I needed much more respiratory support. Ever since then, I have been a home body, raising my kids who are now 18 and nearly 20. My FEV is in the mid 30's, has been as low as 12 though (was as close to dying as anyone could get according to my docs). <br><br>Jenn 39 w/CF<br>

JustDucky

scanboyd

I worked full time 40+hrs. and took call in Nuclear Medicine for the same hospital for 35 yrs. Did this until my FEV1 droped to high 30's 38-39. My bride and Dr. strongly encouraged me to retire. That was over 7 yrs. ago. This was prob. the best thing I have evere done for myself. Have been pretty stable since with FEV1 of 31% and FVC of 95%. I am now able to take better care of CF.

It would be strange I would go in during the middle of the night to do a lung scan on someone that was SOB, and I would be more winded than the patient. Often times they would smell of smoke.

scanboyd

I worked full time 40+hrs. and took call in Nuclear Medicine for the same hospital for 35 yrs. Did this until my FEV1 droped to high 30's 38-39. My bride and Dr. strongly encouraged me to retire. That was over 7 yrs. ago. This was prob. the best thing I have evere done for myself. Have been pretty stable since with FEV1 of 31% and FVC of 95%. I am now able to take better care of CF.

It would be strange I would go in during the middle of the night to do a lung scan on someone that was SOB, and I would be more winded than the patient. Often times they would smell of smoke.

scanboyd

carmick

I work "full time" for my family's business. By "full time" I mean that I work at least 40 hours per week when I'm healthy, but then I miss a couple weeks for a hospital admission. They are very understanding about all my appointments. However, I have been thinking seriously about going on disability. My FEV1 has stubbornly stuck in the low 30s for the past couple of years and now I've been missing more work for hospital admissions, plus being in a transplant program is sucking up more time (each appointment/education session is a day off of work and now I'm supposed to start pulmonary rehab which is only offered during the work day). If I wasn't working for my family I would have had to go on disability awhile ago, but I'm not ready to "retire" yet.

carmick

I work "full time" for my family's business. By "full time" I mean that I work at least 40 hours per week when I'm healthy, but then I miss a couple weeks for a hospital admission. They are very understanding about all my appointments. However, I have been thinking seriously about going on disability. My FEV1 has stubbornly stuck in the low 30s for the past couple of years and now I've been missing more work for hospital admissions, plus being in a transplant program is sucking up more time (each appointment/education session is a day off of work and now I'm supposed to start pulmonary rehab which is only offered during the work day). If I wasn't working for my family I would have had to go on disability awhile ago, but I'm not ready to "retire" yet.

carmick

Kristen

After I finished college, I spent four years working full-time for a private engineering firm, which meant I worked about 50 hours a week. I felt like I was running on a treadmill, fitting in treatments, exercise, working, doctor's appointments, and then all of the "life" stuff like taking the cat to the vet, taking the car to the shop, etc. I hardly had any time for fun or R&R and I was not happy. So I got a job in the private sector that only required 40 hour weeks. That was much better and I spent four years there. But I still had moments where I felt stressed from all of the time it takes to do treatments and exercise. 40 hour job plus 20 hours a week of CF stuff = a packed schedule!<br>The only reason I quit was because I had a child and decided to stay home with her. I really don't think I could handle working full-time, taking care of myself, and taking care of a child. My FEV1 has always been over 100% and I might be able to keep it that high "doing it all", but my mental health definitely would not be able to handle it!

Kristen

After I finished college, I spent four years working full-time for a private engineering firm, which meant I worked about 50 hours a week. I felt like I was running on a treadmill, fitting in treatments, exercise, working, doctor's appointments, and then all of the "life" stuff like taking the cat to the vet, taking the car to the shop, etc. I hardly had any time for fun or R&R and I was not happy. So I got a job in the private sector that only required 40 hour weeks. That was much better and I spent four years there. But I still had moments where I felt stressed from all of the time it takes to do treatments and exercise. 40 hour job plus 20 hours a week of CF stuff = a packed schedule!<br>The only reason I quit was because I had a child and decided to stay home with her. I really don't think I could handle working full-time, taking care of myself, and taking care of a child. My FEV1 has always been over 100% and I might be able to keep it that high "doing it all", but my mental health definitely would not be able to handle it!

Kristen

serendipity730

I work 2 days/wk (was working 3, but down to 2 because of budget cuts). MyFEV1 is in the low 70's. I'm fortunate that my husband is able to support us and my salary is mostly "extra".

serendipity730

I work 2 days/wk (was working 3, but down to 2 because of budget cuts). MyFEV1 is in the low 70's. I'm fortunate that my husband is able to support us and my salary is mostly "extra".

serendipity730