If you were my age, with CF, what would you do differently for your health?

Lance2020x

I am 23 (dx at birth) and -in my opinion- am very healthy for my age with CF. As my doctors say, it's "Half blessing, and half hard work and diligence!" -I take extremely good care of myself.
However, recently, as I'm drawing closer to my mid-twenties (the age that all through high school I thought would bring my demise) I'm realizing that there is always more I can do to be responsible for my health. Directly after Christmas I'm going to start diligently exercising again, which I hope will force me to get to bed at a healthier hour and get more consistent, healthier amounts of sleep.

So for those of you who are older than me, 30's, 40's, and even those diagnosed late, what are some things you would suggest I do now to prepare for the future, what do you WISH you did or knew when you were my age?

Lance2020x

I am 23 (dx at birth) and -in my opinion- am very healthy for my age with CF. As my doctors say, it's "Half blessing, and half hard work and diligence!" -I take extremely good care of myself.
However, recently, as I'm drawing closer to my mid-twenties (the age that all through high school I thought would bring my demise) I'm realizing that there is always more I can do to be responsible for my health. Directly after Christmas I'm going to start diligently exercising again, which I hope will force me to get to bed at a healthier hour and get more consistent, healthier amounts of sleep.

So for those of you who are older than me, 30's, 40's, and even those diagnosed late, what are some things you would suggest I do now to prepare for the future, what do you WISH you did or knew when you were my age?

Lance2020x

Lance2020x

Lance2020x

<br />However, recently, as I'm drawing closer to my mid-twenties (the age that all through high school I thought would bring my demise) I'm realizing that there is always more I can do to be responsible for my health. Directly after Christmas I'm going to start diligently exercising again, which I hope will force me to get to bed at a healthier hour and get more consistent, healthier amounts of sleep.
<br />
<br />So for those of you who are older than me, 30's, 40's, and even those diagnosed late, what are some things you would suggest I do now to prepare for the future, what do you WISH you did or knew when you were my age?

Trizzanne74

Consistency is key and finding someone to be accountable too, At your age I was married and had my husband, but a friend is someone helpful to that can check up on you and your goals and making sure your staying on target and to be encouraging when you need it the most.

I was starting to decline physically rather quickly at your age, so I was going through alot of harder times emotionally accepting the fate of the disease. Writing in a journal, connecting to others like on this website was really helpful emotionally.

Something I am thankful for, is right around your age, my husband and I began a CF walk in our area... I think before transplant I had a big influence on others on raising funds for CF. After a transplant, it's harder to have the same effect on people. It is a very rewarding experience, to know your doing something good with your disease and helping those in the future! I would love to see more CF'ers take their role in promoting awareness seriously, you have such an influence!

Keep up your good work. You sound wise at your age for asking for advise. Ask your doctor and social worker the same questions, what they've seen in their experience.

Cheers!

Trizzanne74

Consistency is key and finding someone to be accountable too, At your age I was married and had my husband, but a friend is someone helpful to that can check up on you and your goals and making sure your staying on target and to be encouraging when you need it the most.

I was starting to decline physically rather quickly at your age, so I was going through alot of harder times emotionally accepting the fate of the disease. Writing in a journal, connecting to others like on this website was really helpful emotionally.

Something I am thankful for, is right around your age, my husband and I began a CF walk in our area... I think before transplant I had a big influence on others on raising funds for CF. After a transplant, it's harder to have the same effect on people. It is a very rewarding experience, to know your doing something good with your disease and helping those in the future! I would love to see more CF'ers take their role in promoting awareness seriously, you have such an influence!

Keep up your good work. You sound wise at your age for asking for advise. Ask your doctor and social worker the same questions, what they've seen in their experience.

Cheers!

Trizzanne74

Cheers!

Trizzanne74

Cheers!

Trizzanne74

<br />
<br />I was starting to decline physically rather quickly at your age, so I was going through alot of harder times emotionally accepting the fate of the disease. Writing in a journal, connecting to others like on this website was really helpful emotionally.
<br />
<br />Something I am thankful for, is right around your age, my husband and I began a CF walk in our area... I think before transplant I had a big influence on others on raising funds for CF. After a transplant, it's harder to have the same effect on people. It is a very rewarding experience, to know your doing something good with your disease and helping those in the future! I would love to see more CF'ers take their role in promoting awareness seriously, you have such an influence!
<br />
<br />Keep up your good work. You sound wise at your age for asking for advise. Ask your doctor and social worker the same questions, what they've seen in their experience.
<br />
<br />Cheers!

A

Aspiemom

That consistency will really help.

Also, stash away whatever funds you can while you are healthier because when you start to decline it get's very expensive. Not only will the bills do you hard, but the stress, also.

A

Aspiemom

Also, stash away whatever funds you can while you are healthier because when you start to decline it get's very expensive. Not only will the bills do you hard, but the stress, also.

A

Aspiemom

A

Aspiemom

A

Aspiemom

<br />
<br />Also, stash away whatever funds you can while you are healthier because when you start to decline it get's very expensive. Not only will the bills do you hard, but the stress, also.

M

MiddleAgedLady

Debbi brings up a good point about stress. There is no way to avoid it completely. Make a pact with yourself that if you get in a situation where you can feel the stress affecting your health, you will make changes quickly. I held onto a couple of jobs (and relationships) too long thinking things would get better. They didn't and I realized I had lost ground physically.

M

MiddleAgedLady

Debbi brings up a good point about stress. There is no way to avoid it completely. Make a pact with yourself that if you get in a situation where you can feel the stress affecting your health, you will make changes quickly. I held onto a couple of jobs (and relationships) too long thinking things would get better. They didn't and I realized I had lost ground physically.

M

MiddleAgedLady

M

MiddleAgedLady

M

MiddleAgedLady