Is this possible?

ladybug

Hey, everyone.

Today, after a particularly intense workout at the gym (not harder per se, but harder for me... felt lightheaded and crappy most of the time and HR went way up), I felt like blood was rushing to my head and like I'd pass out. I thought it was due to overexertion or too much coffee and then working out within a couple hours of drinking it (never a good combo but i had to get to the gym before they closed).

I got home and was still really "faint"... Almost like my head was throbbing with blood. I felt dizzy and just crummy.

I took my glucose and it said 15... what?!?!? Is 15 blood glucose even possible?!? I was shocked and immediately drank a large glass of juice. Within about 2 minutes it was up to 50. I continued to drink and eat something until it was normal.

I couldn't believe that I could still be talking to my DH and even walking in the door. I knew I felt woozy, but to tell you the truth, I've felt worse when it was in the 60's.

Anyway, just wondering if this is a possibility or my meter is off? I have been checking more regularly and it seems to be within normal range based on how I'm feeling, insulin dose, etc. so I was just completely shocked today and was pretty sure I'd be in a coma with a blood glucose that low.

Thanks,

ladybug

Hey, everyone.

Today, after a particularly intense workout at the gym (not harder per se, but harder for me... felt lightheaded and crappy most of the time and HR went way up), I felt like blood was rushing to my head and like I'd pass out. I thought it was due to overexertion or too much coffee and then working out within a couple hours of drinking it (never a good combo but i had to get to the gym before they closed).

I got home and was still really "faint"... Almost like my head was throbbing with blood. I felt dizzy and just crummy.

I took my glucose and it said 15... what?!?!? Is 15 blood glucose even possible?!? I was shocked and immediately drank a large glass of juice. Within about 2 minutes it was up to 50. I continued to drink and eat something until it was normal.

I couldn't believe that I could still be talking to my DH and even walking in the door. I knew I felt woozy, but to tell you the truth, I've felt worse when it was in the 60's.

Anyway, just wondering if this is a possibility or my meter is off? I have been checking more regularly and it seems to be within normal range based on how I'm feeling, insulin dose, etc. so I was just completely shocked today and was pretty sure I'd be in a coma with a blood glucose that low.

Thanks,

ladybug

Hey, everyone.

Thanks,

ladybug

Hey, everyone.

Thanks,

ladybug

Hey, everyone.
<br />
<br />Today, after a particularly intense workout at the gym (not harder per se, but harder for me... felt lightheaded and crappy most of the time and HR went way up), I felt like blood was rushing to my head and like I'd pass out. I thought it was due to overexertion or too much coffee and then working out within a couple hours of drinking it (never a good combo but i had to get to the gym before they closed).
<br />
<br />I got home and was still really "faint"... Almost like my head was throbbing with blood. I felt dizzy and just crummy.
<br />
<br />I took my glucose and it said 15... what?!?!? Is 15 blood glucose even possible?!? I was shocked and immediately drank a large glass of juice. Within about 2 minutes it was up to 50. I continued to drink and eat something until it was normal.
<br />
<br />I couldn't believe that I could still be talking to my DH and even walking in the door. I knew I felt woozy, but to tell you the truth, I've felt worse when it was in the 60's.
<br />
<br />Anyway, just wondering if this is a possibility or my meter is off? I have been checking more regularly and it seems to be within normal range based on how I'm feeling, insulin dose, etc. so I was just completely shocked today and was pretty sure I'd be in a coma with a blood glucose that low.
<br />
<br />Thanks,

Diane

When i was in the hospital a few years back i asked the nurse to check my blood sugar because i suspected it was low and she didnt want to do it because they already did my "morning" stick. Well she finally did it and it was 19, so i know it is possible to have blood sugars very, very low and still be conscious.

You may want to calibrate your machine to make sure it is accurate.

I just wanted to let you know that it isnt impossible to have numbers in the teens and still be conscious.

Diane

When i was in the hospital a few years back i asked the nurse to check my blood sugar because i suspected it was low and she didnt want to do it because they already did my "morning" stick. Well she finally did it and it was 19, so i know it is possible to have blood sugars very, very low and still be conscious.

I just wanted to let you know that it isnt impossible to have numbers in the teens and still be conscious.

Diane

Diane

Diane

<br />
<br />You may want to calibrate your machine to make sure it is accurate.
<br />
<br />I just wanted to let you know that it isnt impossible to have numbers in the teens and still be conscious.

kitomd21

From Wikipedia....

Factors Which Can Affect Readings

* Hematocrit The amount of red blood cells in the blood. Someone with higher hematocrit values will test lower than someone with normal hematocrit levels. Anyone with anemia or an anemia-related disorder will test higher than someone with normal hematocrit values. If you know there is a possibility for either higher or lower than normal hematocrit values due to concurrent disease, discuss their possible impact on blood glucose readings with your health care provider.

* Dehydration--Severe dehydration can cause inaccurate false low results[47].

* Fats/Lipids--Excess cholesterol or triglycerides can also produce false meter readings.

* Other Substances can affect your test results. They include uric acid (A natural substance in the body which can be more concentrated in those with diabetes.), glutathione (an anti-oxidant known also as "GSH"), and ascorbic acid (Vitamin C). Read the information for your meter to determine what substances, if any, may affect its accuracy--discuss these concerns with your doctor.

* Altitude, Temperature[48][49], Humidity are all capable of having unpredictable effects on blood glucose readings. Both the meter and test strip inserts have more information about these issues. Store meter(s) and test strips according to their respective instructions.

* Generic Test Strips are less-expensive copies of the branded ones. If and when manufacturers change anything about their meter(s) and/or branded test strips, generic manufacturers are not always advised of these changes. The type, amount(s) or concentration of the chemicals (called reagents) used in the testing process can change. Glucometers are sensitive to these changes and as a result, blood glucose readings may be inaccurate with the generic strips [50].

kitomd21

From Wikipedia....

* Hematocrit The amount of red blood cells in the blood. Someone with higher hematocrit values will test lower than someone with normal hematocrit levels. Anyone with anemia or an anemia-related disorder will test higher than someone with normal hematocrit values. If you know there is a possibility for either higher or lower than normal hematocrit values due to concurrent disease, discuss their possible impact on blood glucose readings with your health care provider.

* Fats/Lipids--Excess cholesterol or triglycerides can also produce false meter readings.

* Other Substances can affect your test results. They include uric acid (A natural substance in the body which can be more concentrated in those with diabetes.), glutathione (an anti-oxidant known also as "GSH"), and ascorbic acid (Vitamin C). Read the information for your meter to determine what substances, if any, may affect its accuracy--discuss these concerns with your doctor.

* Altitude, Temperature[48][49], Humidity are all capable of having unpredictable effects on blood glucose readings. Both the meter and test strip inserts have more information about these issues. Store meter(s) and test strips according to their respective instructions.

* Generic Test Strips are less-expensive copies of the branded ones. If and when manufacturers change anything about their meter(s) and/or branded test strips, generic manufacturers are not always advised of these changes. The type, amount(s) or concentration of the chemicals (called reagents) used in the testing process can change. Glucometers are sensitive to these changes and as a result, blood glucose readings may be inaccurate with the generic strips [50].

kitomd21

From Wikipedia....

kitomd21

From Wikipedia....

kitomd21

From Wikipedia....
<br />
<br />Factors Which Can Affect Readings
<br />
<br /> * Hematocrit The amount of red blood cells in the blood. Someone with higher hematocrit values will test lower than someone with normal hematocrit levels. Anyone with anemia or an anemia-related disorder will test higher than someone with normal hematocrit values. If you know there is a possibility for either higher or lower than normal hematocrit values due to concurrent disease, discuss their possible impact on blood glucose readings with your health care provider.
<br />
<br /> * Dehydration--Severe dehydration can cause inaccurate false low results[47].
<br />
<br /> * Fats/Lipids--Excess cholesterol or triglycerides can also produce false meter readings.
<br />
<br /> * Other Substances can affect your test results. They include uric acid (A natural substance in the body which can be more concentrated in those with diabetes.), glutathione (an anti-oxidant known also as "GSH"), and ascorbic acid (Vitamin C). Read the information for your meter to determine what substances, if any, may affect its accuracy--discuss these concerns with your doctor.
<br />
<br /> * Altitude, Temperature[48][49], Humidity are all capable of having unpredictable effects on blood glucose readings. Both the meter and test strip inserts have more information about these issues. Store meter(s) and test strips according to their respective instructions.
<br />
<br /> * Generic Test Strips are less-expensive copies of the branded ones. If and when manufacturers change anything about their meter(s) and/or branded test strips, generic manufacturers are not always advised of these changes. The type, amount(s) or concentration of the chemicals (called reagents) used in the testing process can change. Glucometers are sensitive to these changes and as a result, blood glucose readings may be inaccurate with the generic strips [50].

H

hopesiris

Mine hit 35 during a gestational diabetes test. I did not faint. My doctor was surprised when I said I've felt worse.

H

hopesiris

Mine hit 35 during a gestational diabetes test. I did not faint. My doctor was surprised when I said I've felt worse.

H

hopesiris

H

hopesiris

H

hopesiris