Is this possible?

bagged2drag

my docs told me that even though the reading may be quite low with the meter, the meter is actually not very accurate at low levels. Is this true? Don't know. I've felt pretty sh%$#y when it was in the 50's, and have had it in the 40s when I had blood work done at the hospital, and not felt super bad. I'm guessing it should be fairly accurate. Really low numbers, like the 10's or 20's can kill someone however. Its a scary thought either way.

I just always have a drink on me. keep steady carbs coming in throughout the day and no probs.

bagged2drag

my docs told me that even though the reading may be quite low with the meter, the meter is actually not very accurate at low levels. Is this true? Don't know. I've felt pretty sh%$#y when it was in the 50's, and have had it in the 40s when I had blood work done at the hospital, and not felt super bad. I'm guessing it should be fairly accurate. Really low numbers, like the 10's or 20's can kill someone however. Its a scary thought either way.

I just always have a drink on me. keep steady carbs coming in throughout the day and no probs.

bagged2drag

bagged2drag

bagged2drag

<br />
<br />I just always have a drink on me. keep steady carbs coming in throughout the day and no probs.

marisalynn

I would get your meter checked, but I suppose it is possible to have that low of a blood glucose. Normally when it is that low, the person probably wouldn't even be conscious. I remember when my brother had a GTT done, and in the 2nd hour, his was down to something like 42. He said that he didn't feel any different. He didn't have any symptoms. Maybe something about the disease process of CF can mask some of the symptoms. I don't know. I would definitely keep a close eye on it, especially when you are doing a heavy workout and haven't eaten. Just my two cents.
Marisa RN, 22w/CF

marisalynn

I would get your meter checked, but I suppose it is possible to have that low of a blood glucose. Normally when it is that low, the person probably wouldn't even be conscious. I remember when my brother had a GTT done, and in the 2nd hour, his was down to something like 42. He said that he didn't feel any different. He didn't have any symptoms. Maybe something about the disease process of CF can mask some of the symptoms. I don't know. I would definitely keep a close eye on it, especially when you are doing a heavy workout and haven't eaten. Just my two cents.
Marisa RN, 22w/CF

marisalynn

Marisa RN, 22w/CF

marisalynn

Marisa RN, 22w/CF

marisalynn

<br />Marisa RN, 22w/CF

ladybug

thanks, everyone!

yeah, i thought it odd that it was so terribly low and then with juice, as it usually does, it shot up. i've been getting what i THINK are accurate readings as i've been testing more regularly.

however, i have added a TON more insulin lately cause i was on prednisone. since coming off, i continued to do the same dosing (or maybe a little less). since usually i don't require much insulin, especially when i work out, perhaps i just really overdid it with my poptarts, coffee and insulin dose. however, a couple hours later i ate a turkey and cheese sandwich to give me energy for my jog and didn't take any isulin. i rarely take it when i'm gonna work out anyway since my body seems to compensate.

either way, thanks for all the info! i will look for that testing solution to test my meter. if it checks out, i'll let you know that it WAS that low....

so, not to make light of it, but do i get bragging rights if it was in fact that low and i was still chatting with the DH? i mean, that's uber-tough, eh?! LOL.... kidding of course.

ladybug

thanks, everyone!

yeah, i thought it odd that it was so terribly low and then with juice, as it usually does, it shot up. i've been getting what i THINK are accurate readings as i've been testing more regularly.

however, i have added a TON more insulin lately cause i was on prednisone. since coming off, i continued to do the same dosing (or maybe a little less). since usually i don't require much insulin, especially when i work out, perhaps i just really overdid it with my poptarts, coffee and insulin dose. however, a couple hours later i ate a turkey and cheese sandwich to give me energy for my jog and didn't take any isulin. i rarely take it when i'm gonna work out anyway since my body seems to compensate.

either way, thanks for all the info! i will look for that testing solution to test my meter. if it checks out, i'll let you know that it WAS that low....

so, not to make light of it, but do i get bragging rights if it was in fact that low and i was still chatting with the DH? i mean, that's uber-tough, eh?! LOL.... kidding of course.

ladybug

thanks, everyone!

ladybug

thanks, everyone!

ladybug

thanks, everyone!
<br />
<br />yeah, i thought it odd that it was so terribly low and then with juice, as it usually does, it shot up. i've been getting what i THINK are accurate readings as i've been testing more regularly.
<br />
<br />however, i have added a TON more insulin lately cause i was on prednisone. since coming off, i continued to do the same dosing (or maybe a little less). since usually i don't require much insulin, especially when i work out, perhaps i just really overdid it with my poptarts, coffee and insulin dose. however, a couple hours later i ate a turkey and cheese sandwich to give me energy for my jog and didn't take any isulin. i rarely take it when i'm gonna work out anyway since my body seems to compensate.
<br />
<br />either way, thanks for all the info! i will look for that testing solution to test my meter. if it checks out, i'll let you know that it WAS that low....
<br />
<br />so, not to make light of it, but do i get bragging rights if it was in fact that low and i was still chatting with the DH? i mean, that's uber-tough, eh?! LOL.... kidding of course.