Judging Hurts

missgunky

I wasn't bullied physically, but verbally. People thought if they hit me, they'd incur the wrath of God or something. Like, you don't punch a kid in a wheelchair, you know? But most of all, I was ignored. That was hard because I attended a very small Christian school with only 4 other people in my class. One thing about CF is that it's really good at revealing the jerks in your life.

missgunky

I wasn't bullied physically, but verbally. People thought if they hit me, they'd incur the wrath of God or something. Like, you don't punch a kid in a wheelchair, you know? But most of all, I was ignored. That was hard because I attended a very small Christian school with only 4 other people in my class. One thing about CF is that it's really good at revealing the jerks in your life.

missgunky

azdesertrat

Sorry things haven't changes much in the almost 30 years since I underwent so much of the same treatment.
I hated high school. I had only a few friends and it wasn't because of my personality; I've always been very gregarious & outgoing.
I tried to fit in & get along but it seemed like no matter what I did I was always rebuffed.
Finally I just quit.
One of the worst & most embarassing things that ever happend was when I was 18 years old & out of HS.
I was working for the US Forest Service on a Helitack crew. I drove the fuel truck & when the helicopter came in to land at our heliport in the boonies or at the main base my responsibility was to fuel the helicopter & make sure it was ready to fly.
One blazing hot summer day I worked up the courage to wear shorts to work.
One of the smart-asses that worked inside manning the radios came out to where I was hanging out with the rest of the Helitack crew.
He looked at me and said "does that hurt"? I replied "does what hurt?" He said "somebody tied your legs in a knowt. Oh, no, I guess that's your knees."
I was so hurt and embarassed I went back to the motel at lunch & changed into bluejeans.
I never wore shorts in public again until after my transplant.
Now I don't give a rat's ass what anybody thinks. I wear what I want and if any smart-ass wants to open his pie-hole about my appearance than he can suffer my wrath. It won't be pretty.
Please, know that someday you WILL be out of that crap known as high school.
I haven't attended any of my HS reunions; if they didn't want anything to do with me then, they sure as hell don't deserve my presence now.
Be strong, it won't last forever.
Feel free to contact me if I can be of any help.

azdesertrat

Sorry things haven't changes much in the almost 30 years since I underwent so much of the same treatment.
I hated high school. I had only a few friends and it wasn't because of my personality; I've always been very gregarious & outgoing.
I tried to fit in & get along but it seemed like no matter what I did I was always rebuffed.
Finally I just quit.
One of the worst & most embarassing things that ever happend was when I was 18 years old & out of HS.
I was working for the US Forest Service on a Helitack crew. I drove the fuel truck & when the helicopter came in to land at our heliport in the boonies or at the main base my responsibility was to fuel the helicopter & make sure it was ready to fly.
One blazing hot summer day I worked up the courage to wear shorts to work.
One of the smart-asses that worked inside manning the radios came out to where I was hanging out with the rest of the Helitack crew.
He looked at me and said "does that hurt"? I replied "does what hurt?" He said "somebody tied your legs in a knowt. Oh, no, I guess that's your knees."
I was so hurt and embarassed I went back to the motel at lunch & changed into bluejeans.
I never wore shorts in public again until after my transplant.
Now I don't give a rat's ass what anybody thinks. I wear what I want and if any smart-ass wants to open his pie-hole about my appearance than he can suffer my wrath. It won't be pretty.
Please, know that someday you WILL be out of that crap known as high school.
I haven't attended any of my HS reunions; if they didn't want anything to do with me then, they sure as hell don't deserve my presence now.
Be strong, it won't last forever.
Feel free to contact me if I can be of any help.

azdesertrat

<br />I hated high school. I had only a few friends and it wasn't because of my personality; I've always been very gregarious & outgoing.
<br />I tried to fit in & get along but it seemed like no matter what I did I was always rebuffed.
<br />Finally I just quit.
<br />One of the worst & most embarassing things that ever happend was when I was 18 years old & out of HS.
<br />I was working for the US Forest Service on a Helitack crew. I drove the fuel truck & when the helicopter came in to land at our heliport in the boonies or at the main base my responsibility was to fuel the helicopter & make sure it was ready to fly.
<br />One blazing hot summer day I worked up the courage to wear shorts to work.
<br />One of the smart-asses that worked inside manning the radios came out to where I was hanging out with the rest of the Helitack crew.
<br />He looked at me and said "does that hurt"? I replied "does what hurt?" He said "somebody tied your legs in a knowt. Oh, no, I guess that's your knees."
<br />I was so hurt and embarassed I went back to the motel at lunch & changed into bluejeans.
<br />I never wore shorts in public again until after my transplant.
<br />Now I don't give a rat's ass what anybody thinks. I wear what I want and if any smart-ass wants to open his pie-hole about my appearance than he can suffer my wrath. It won't be pretty.
<br />Please, know that someday you WILL be out of that crap known as high school.
<br />I haven't attended any of my HS reunions; if they didn't want anything to do with me then, they sure as hell don't deserve my presence now.
<br />Be strong, it won't last forever.
<br />Feel free to contact me if I can be of any help.

seleven

there are nasty and cruel people in this world and the only reason people will pick on you is because they feel small themselves. The best thing you can do in this situation, as hard as it is, is hold your head up high, ignore all those comments and strive toward your goals. You are strong, beautiful and just remember that everyone has something. you are not and will never be the only person that is different. Everything is going to get better, you just have to put up with the rain before the rainbow. Just think of all the positives in your life. The friends you have who accept you, your family and anything else that makes you feel supported and strong when these people bug you. You are better than them and you are and will be amazing.

seleven

there are nasty and cruel people in this world and the only reason people will pick on you is because they feel small themselves. The best thing you can do in this situation, as hard as it is, is hold your head up high, ignore all those comments and strive toward your goals. You are strong, beautiful and just remember that everyone has something. you are not and will never be the only person that is different. Everything is going to get better, you just have to put up with the rain before the rainbow. Just think of all the positives in your life. The friends you have who accept you, your family and anything else that makes you feel supported and strong when these people bug you. You are better than them and you are and will be amazing.

seleven

L

lhkraus

Hi to all you young people: I'm a mom, my daughter is now going to be a junior in college. She was pretty miserable in high school, but is so happy now. So, hang in there. Even for people without CF, high school is a difficult time for many, many people. What I would encourage you to do though is see a therapist. Anyone with CF goes through life with a difficult mental and emotional burden, and it is extremely helpful to have someone help work through those feelings. It made a world of difference for my daughter. Talking with a therapist is very different from talking with a friend or family member. You do not have to censor what you say to protect the person you are talking to as you would with a parent, for example, and you will never ever be judged. It is nothing to be embarrassed about - the Adult section of this forum often has posts about depression and other emotional challenges, and it seems very common for adult CFers to have a therapist. I actually think it should be recommended as a standard part of a CF care team.

L

lhkraus

Hi to all you young people: I'm a mom, my daughter is now going to be a junior in college. She was pretty miserable in high school, but is so happy now. So, hang in there. Even for people without CF, high school is a difficult time for many, many people. What I would encourage you to do though is see a therapist. Anyone with CF goes through life with a difficult mental and emotional burden, and it is extremely helpful to have someone help work through those feelings. It made a world of difference for my daughter. Talking with a therapist is very different from talking with a friend or family member. You do not have to censor what you say to protect the person you are talking to as you would with a parent, for example, and you will never ever be judged. It is nothing to be embarrassed about - the Adult section of this forum often has posts about depression and other emotional challenges, and it seems very common for adult CFers to have a therapist. I actually think it should be recommended as a standard part of a CF care team.

L

lhkraus

ltlhook

<br>I hated the whole cliq thing of school.  I could not stand the "you aren't cool enough" crap.  I had a few good friends that were by my side.  Me having CF was just "normal" to them.  I do have a funny story though.  I was in 7th grade and there was this boy I liked and he liked me.  He was told by someone that I had CF "a disease."  He came up to me in the lunch room and said loudly "you didn't tell me you had a disease!"  I touched his shoulder and said "yep and now you got it."  All of my friends of course were laughing knowing that you can't catch CF.  He later learned what it was and that it was a joke.  We never dated though. To help me deal with peoples comments like "she's so skinny, she must be anorexic."  I conquered it with jokes.  I would shoot back with "it's a good thing I don't have to worry about what I eat and I don't have to make myself throw up to stay skinny."  I would "pick" on them like they picked on me.  I walked around like I was proud of who I was small, skinny me.  I never hid the fact that I had CF.  I would say something like "yep can't help it, got CF and that's what CF does."  Most people don't know what to do when you are blunt like that.  They are thinking you will cower and walk away but I did the opposite, I put it in their face.  It helped educate people even if it was in a weird way. I got sick within the first week of school and ended up doing school at home my senior year so I didn't have to deal with any of that stuff anymore which was nice.  I still went to football games and some other school events.  I went back to school to walk across the stage for graduation. I had my 10 year reunion which I planned (and was a nightmare mind you) and some people were surprised I was still alive and that was justice enough for me. Hang in there and know that you are special and kids are mean.  You be you and let the fools make fools of themselves with their comments.

ltlhook

<br>I hated the whole cliq thing of school. I could not stand the "you aren't cool enough" crap. I had a few good friends that were by my side. Me having CF was just "normal" to them. I do have a funny story though. I was in 7th grade and there was this boy I liked and he liked me. He was told by someone that I had CF "a disease." He came up to me in the lunch room and said loudly "you didn't tell me you had a disease!" I touched his shoulder and said "yep and now you got it." All of my friends of course were laughing knowing that you can't catch CF. He later learned what it was and that it was a joke. We never dated though.To help me deal with peoples comments like"she's so skinny, she must be anorexic." I conquered it with jokes. I would shootback with "it's a good thing I don'thave to worry about what I eat and I don't have to make myself throw up to stay skinny." I would "pick" on them like they picked on me. I walked around like I was proud of who I was small, skinny me. I never hid the fact that I had CF. I would say something like "yep can't help it, got CF and that's what CF does." Most people don't know what to do when you are blunt like that. They are thinking you will cower and walk away but I did the opposite, I put it in their face. It helped educate people even if it was in a weird way.I got sick within the first week of school and ended up doing school at home my senior year so I didn't have to deal with any of that stuff anymore which was nice. I still went to football games and some other school events. I went back to school to walk across the stage for graduation.I had my 10 year reunion which I planned (and was a nightmare mind you)and some people were surprised I was still alive and that was justice enough for me.Hang in there and know that you are special and kids are mean. You be you and let the fools make fools of themselves with their comments.

ltlhook

<p><br>I hated the whole cliq thing of school. I could not stand the "you aren't cool enough" crap. I had a few good friends that were by my side. Me having CF was just "normal" to them. I do have a funny story though. I was in 7th grade and there was this boy I liked and he liked me. He was told by someone that I had CF "a disease." He came up to me in the lunch room and said loudly "you didn't tell me you had a disease!" I touched his shoulder and said "yep and now you got it." All of my friends of course were laughing knowing that you can't catch CF. He later learned what it was and that it was a joke. We never dated though.<p><p>To help me deal with peoples comments like"she's so skinny, she must be anorexic." I conquered it with jokes. I would shootback with "it's a good thing I don'thave to worry about what I eat and I don't have to make myself throw up to stay skinny." I would "pick" on them like they picked on me. I walked around like I was proud of who I was small, skinny me. I never hid the fact that I had CF. I would say something like "yep can't help it, got CF and that's what CF does." Most people don't know what to do when you are blunt like that. They are thinking you will cower and walk away but I did the opposite, I put it in their face. It helped educate people even if it was in a weird way.<p><p>I got sick within the first week of school and ended up doing school at home my senior year so I didn't have to deal with any of that stuff anymore which was nice. I still went to football games and some other school events. I went back to school to walk across the stage for graduation.<p><p>I had my 10 year reunion which I planned (and was a nightmare mind you)and some people were surprised I was still alive and that was justice enough for me.<p><p>Hang in there and know that you are special and kids are mean. You be you and let the fools make fools of themselves with their comments.

ltlhook

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ltlhook</b></i>

I hated the whole cliq thing of school.  I could not stand the "you aren't cool enough" crap.  I had a few good friends that were by my side.  Me having CF was just "normal" to them.  I do have a funny story though.  I was in 7th grade and there was this boy I liked and he liked me.  He was told by someone that I had CF "a disease."  He came up to me in the lunch room and said loudly "you didn't tell me you had a disease!"  I touched his shoulder and said "yep and now you got it."  All of my friends of course were laughing knowing that you can't catch CF.  He later learned what it was and that it was a joke.  We never dated though.

To help me deal with peoples comments like "she's so skinny, she must be anorexic."  I conquered it with jokes.  I would shoot back with "it's a good thing I don't have to worry about what I eat and I don't have to make myself throw up to stay skinny."  I would "pick" on them like they picked on me.  I walked around like I was proud of who I was small, skinny me.  I never hid the fact that I had CF.  I would say something like "yep can't help it, got CF and that's what CF does."  Most people don't know what to do when you are blunt like that.  They are thinking you will cower and walk away but I did the opposite, I put it in their face.  It helped educate people even if it was in a weird way.

I got sick within the first week of school and ended up doing school at home my senior year so I didn't have to deal with any of that stuff anymore which was nice.  I still went to football games and some other school events.  I went back to school to walk across the stage for graduation.

I had my 10 year reunion which I planned (and was a nightmare mind you) and some people were surprised I was still alive and that was justice enough for me.

Hang in there and know that you are special and kids are mean.  You be you and let the fools make fools of themselves with their comments.</end quote></div>

Oh yeah I did have a boyfriend from 8th grade all the way through high school.  He was a jock and I was no where near the cheerleader.  So I had those girls not liking me too...hahaha.