Make a Wish

rcq925

We actually just started the process for our daughter. The paperwork has been sent by Make A Wish to our doctor and we are waiting to hear back from them. We live in Indiana and I know of other CF Families that have been granted wishes with children of young ages. I had always intended to wait until Hayley was older (she turns 6 tomorrow), but we decided why wait? You never know what the future holds and I want her to get her wish while she is still healthy enough to enjoy it. She plans to wish for a trip to Disney, which will be very magical for her at her present age.

I am so sorry that the state you are in are being such pains in the butts! I think that there are a few other wish organizations out there, other than Make A Wish that you could contact. You also might contact the National Make A Wish Office or have your doctor call the National Office and see if anything can be done. I would not think that each state should get to make up their own qualifications on which diseases/illnesses qualify (especially if they qualify in other states). Sure they may be able to limit the amount spent on a wish due to fund availabilty, but should not be able to pick and choose how severe your disease is. Good Luck!

rcq925

We actually just started the process for our daughter. The paperwork has been sent by Make A Wish to our doctor and we are waiting to hear back from them. We live in Indiana and I know of other CF Families that have been granted wishes with children of young ages. I had always intended to wait until Hayley was older (she turns 6 tomorrow), but we decided why wait? You never know what the future holds and I want her to get her wish while she is still healthy enough to enjoy it. She plans to wish for a trip to Disney, which will be very magical for her at her present age.

I am so sorry that the state you are in are being such pains in the butts! I think that there are a few other wish organizations out there, other than Make A Wish that you could contact. You also might contact the National Make A Wish Office or have your doctor call the National Office and see if anything can be done. I would not think that each state should get to make up their own qualifications on which diseases/illnesses qualify (especially if they qualify in other states). Sure they may be able to limit the amount spent on a wish due to fund availabilty, but should not be able to pick and choose how severe your disease is. Good Luck!

rcq925

rcq925

rcq925

<br />
<br />I am so sorry that the state you are in are being such pains in the butts! I think that there are a few other wish organizations out there, other than Make A Wish that you could contact. You also might contact the National Make A Wish Office or have your doctor call the National Office and see if anything can be done. I would not think that each state should get to make up their own qualifications on which diseases/illnesses qualify (especially if they qualify in other states). Sure they may be able to limit the amount spent on a wish due to fund availabilty, but should not be able to pick and choose how severe your disease is. Good Luck!

debs2girls

I have always loved MAW, long before we had our daughter. My mind is changing on the way I think of them.
Also, we stay in the RMH every three months when we travel to another state for treatment. The last time (January) we were there, there was another family there with their CF son.

Good luck to you...btw, what state are you in?

debs2girls

I have always loved MAW, long before we had our daughter. My mind is changing on the way I think of them.
Also, we stay in the RMH every three months when we travel to another state for treatment. The last time (January) we were there, there was another family there with their CF son.

debs2girls

debs2girls

debs2girls

<br />Also, we stay in the RMH every three months when we travel to another state for treatment. The last time (January) we were there, there was another family there with their CF son.
<br />
<br />Good luck to you...btw, what state are you in?

laulau555

I have very good lung function at present (fev1 81%) however, at the time of my wish almost 4 years ago now, I had been in and out of the hospital a lot. My family and I were hesitant about going through with a wish when it was first suggested because we felt that I wasn't as sick as some people. But I do agree with what some people said, diseases should not be in competition. CF still affects families when their child must go in the hospital or do therapy every day. My wish, a cruise, allowed me to take a vacation from the realities of CF and I'm so glad I took advantage of the opportunity when it was presented. I would look further into it, I have never heard that someone with CF had to be listed for a transplant in order to get a wish!

laulau555

I have very good lung function at present (fev1 81%) however, at the time of my wish almost 4 years ago now, I had been in and out of the hospital a lot. My family and I were hesitant about going through with a wish when it was first suggested because we felt that I wasn't as sick as some people. But I do agree with what some people said, diseases should not be in competition. CF still affects families when their child must go in the hospital or do therapy every day. My wish, a cruise, allowed me to take a vacation from the realities of CF and I'm so glad I took advantage of the opportunity when it was presented. I would look further into it, I have never heard that someone with CF had to be listed for a transplant in order to get a wish!

laulau555

laulau555

laulau555

summer732

I'm thinking area has to have a lot to do with this. My doctor approached Make a Wish on my behalf, even though at the time my lung function was stable (somewhere in the 60s). I was 18 when I made my wish and 20 when it was granted. I went to go watch an episode of FRIENDS being taped and met the entire cast! It was such a memorable experience.

I'm disappointed that such a credible organization wouldn't think that Cystic Fibrosis is a terrible enough disease to grant wishes. Seems a bit ridiculous.

summer732

I'm thinking area has to have a lot to do with this. My doctor approached Make a Wish on my behalf, even though at the time my lung function was stable (somewhere in the 60s). I was 18 when I made my wish and 20 when it was granted. I went to go watch an episode of FRIENDS being taped and met the entire cast! It was such a memorable experience.

I'm disappointed that such a credible organization wouldn't think that Cystic Fibrosis is a terrible enough disease to grant wishes. Seems a bit ridiculous.

summer732

summer732

summer732

<br />
<br />I'm disappointed that such a credible organization wouldn't think that Cystic Fibrosis is a terrible enough disease to grant wishes. Seems a bit ridiculous.