Making hospitalization easier

M

Mommafirst

I brought my own purell and a container of heavy duty disinfecting wipes. I wiped EVERYTHING down when we first got there --- most importantly the phone and remote control which can get missed by the cleaning staff when they come through.

I brought a camera, because even though its not a family trip, I figure these are things that are a part of my daughters life and should have some pictures.

Our children's hospital has a tv/dvd/vcr in every room, but we brought our own movies even though they can rent what they want.

Bring a clock. The days and hours meld together without one.

Bring some snacks to keep in the room for your daughter and for you.

We brought a sterilizer for nebs because we weren't sure if she would get a new neb for each treatment, but we didn't need it because they opened a brand new one for each treatment. I'm still glad we had it because I was able to sterilize my daughter's toothbruth and pacifiers every day (she was just a year old at hospitalization).

Since your daughter is a little older than mine, you might want to bring card games or board games or something else you can do together to pass the time. If she is creative you might want to bring crafts or help her start a hospital scrapbook.

I'm sorry you are going in, but I hope that she will see a difference in the way she feels. I saw a big difference in my daughter after only 5 days. And you may want to ask them about going home with a PICC line after a few days. We were told to expect 14 days in, but got to leave after 5. I got the feeling they were assessing ME to make sure I would keep the protocol up while we were home. Its not fun to feel judged, but I think I was pretty clear of my devotion to her care.

Good luck!!!

M

Mommafirst

I brought my own purell and a container of heavy duty disinfecting wipes. I wiped EVERYTHING down when we first got there --- most importantly the phone and remote control which can get missed by the cleaning staff when they come through.

I brought a camera, because even though its not a family trip, I figure these are things that are a part of my daughters life and should have some pictures.

Our children's hospital has a tv/dvd/vcr in every room, but we brought our own movies even though they can rent what they want.

Bring a clock. The days and hours meld together without one.

Bring some snacks to keep in the room for your daughter and for you.

We brought a sterilizer for nebs because we weren't sure if she would get a new neb for each treatment, but we didn't need it because they opened a brand new one for each treatment. I'm still glad we had it because I was able to sterilize my daughter's toothbruth and pacifiers every day (she was just a year old at hospitalization).

Since your daughter is a little older than mine, you might want to bring card games or board games or something else you can do together to pass the time. If she is creative you might want to bring crafts or help her start a hospital scrapbook.

I'm sorry you are going in, but I hope that she will see a difference in the way she feels. I saw a big difference in my daughter after only 5 days. And you may want to ask them about going home with a PICC line after a few days. We were told to expect 14 days in, but got to leave after 5. I got the feeling they were assessing ME to make sure I would keep the protocol up while we were home. Its not fun to feel judged, but I think I was pretty clear of my devotion to her care.

Good luck!!!

M

Mommafirst

Oh and one more thing.... talking to the nurses while my daughter was in I remarked how loud the room we were in was. They told me that I should ask for an end room next time, that they will totally accommodate CF families, as we are usually there much longer and more frequently than other patients. You'll be amazed at the turnaround around you while you just sit there! : (

M

Mommafirst

Oh and one more thing.... talking to the nurses while my daughter was in I remarked how loud the room we were in was. They told me that I should ask for an end room next time, that they will totally accommodate CF families, as we are usually there much longer and more frequently than other patients. You'll be amazed at the turnaround around you while you just sit there! : (

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

fourkidsmom

Alot of good suggestions. I always take enzymes, because like Tara mentioned the nurses sometimes forget, and your own applesauce and plastic spoons.

Take construction paper, tape, markers, crayons, scissors and we always decorate the room when we are there. Last time we had every holiday up on the walls, windows, doors, etc., It was alot of fun and my son really enjoyed it!

I take my daughters portable DVD player and rent movies to watch when my son goes to sleep or watches his shows. Take popcorn too. (a bag of our own snacks)

Bring her own pajama's--the hospitals stink!

I believe everyone covered everything else.

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Alot of good suggestions. I always take enzymes, because like Tara mentioned the nurses sometimes forget, and your own applesauce and plastic spoons.

Take construction paper, tape, markers, crayons, scissors and we always decorate the room when we are there. Last time we had every holiday up on the walls, windows, doors, etc., It was alot of fun and my son really enjoyed it!

I take my daughters portable DVD player and rent movies to watch when my son goes to sleep or watches his shows. Take popcorn too. (a bag of our own snacks)

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

Emily65Roses

I usually take my own quilt (often also a stuffed animal). I ALWAYS take my own juice and food. Usually chocolate, pretzels, a whole arsenal of yummies, because I cannot and will not eat <b>any</b> hospital food.

As for entertainment... if she has any game systems, bring those. Any videos or DVDs (depending on which your hospital has), bring those. I usually bring my laptop. I usually bring these giant puzzles I have that I love. They're 3' X 5' and I do them on the floor. Board games, anything she can play with you to pass the time. Books, if she likes to read.

Emily65Roses

I usually take my own quilt (often also a stuffed animal). I ALWAYS take my own juice and food. Usually chocolate, pretzels, a whole arsenal of yummies, because I cannot and will not eat <b>any</b> hospital food.

As for entertainment... if she has any game systems, bring those. Any videos or DVDs (depending on which your hospital has), bring those. I usually bring my laptop. I usually bring these giant puzzles I have that I love. They're 3' X 5' and I do them on the floor. Board games, anything she can play with you to pass the time. Books, if she likes to read.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses