Making hospitalization easier

Buckeye

Maybe pick up some of those little craft packets you can buy at JoAnn Fabrics or Michaels - everything needed for the project is in the one packet. They have foam stickers you can stick on foam sun visors etc or little sewing cards where kids can learn to sew and they're only a buck or two. Since you haven't been in the hospital before you might want to call ahead and ask them if they have DVD players in the rooms, a shower in each room that the parents are permitted to use, refrigerators that the family can use. All hospitals are set up differently and some only have showers in the hallways for the parents (royal pain in the tush) and not all of them have mini-fridges in the rooms. But if you know that ahead of time it will be helpful. I always bring sweatpants and t-shirts for me to sleep in instead of my nicer bedroom atire since I might have to hunt down a nurse in the middle of the night and don't want to go out in the hall scantily clad. Don't forget to rent some DVDs for yourself also. After my son goes to sleep at night I look forward to watching a more adult movie after watching Disney all day. I actually catch up on all the movies that I have wanted to rent, but never get to because my hubby doesn't like romantic movies or anything that was nominated for an Academy Award.

Buckeye

Maybe pick up some of those little craft packets you can buy at JoAnn Fabrics or Michaels - everything needed for the project is in the one packet. They have foam stickers you can stick on foam sun visors etc or little sewing cards where kids can learn to sew and they're only a buck or two. Since you haven't been in the hospital before you might want to call ahead and ask them if they have DVD players in the rooms, a shower in each room that the parents are permitted to use, refrigerators that the family can use. All hospitals are set up differently and some only have showers in the hallways for the parents (royal pain in the tush) and not all of them have mini-fridges in the rooms. But if you know that ahead of time it will be helpful. I always bring sweatpants and t-shirts for me to sleep in instead of my nicer bedroom atire since I might have to hunt down a nurse in the middle of the night and don't want to go out in the hall scantily clad. Don't forget to rent some DVDs for yourself also. After my son goes to sleep at night I look forward to watching a more adult movie after watching Disney all day. I actually catch up on all the movies that I have wanted to rent, but never get to because my hubby doesn't like romantic movies or anything that was nominated for an Academy Award.

Buckeye

Buckeye

izemmom

This might not be pertinent, but it's somthing to ask. I should say that we were not in the hospital for a tune-up or IV antibiotics, or respitory issues (it was dehydration and c.diff). Hopefully you won't run into this...

I had brought all of Em's meds (Enzymes, albuterol, pulmozyme, flovent) from home. THe first nurse didn't say anything, but at shift change the new nurse had a bird becasue things were not "checked in," scooped everything up and took it to the hospital pharmacy. It took hours to get it back. Luckily I had extra enzymes in my purse so I could at least feed her, but her cpt schedule was all messed up becasue of it. I had no idea things needed to be checked in. I makes sense, I just didnt' think about it, nor did anyone in admissions or the first nurse.

So, it's a question to ask to prevent you some frustration!

I will be printing this thread when it's "finished" to put away for our first tune-up.

izemmom

This might not be pertinent, but it's somthing to ask. I should say that we were not in the hospital for a tune-up or IV antibiotics, or respitory issues (it was dehydration and c.diff). Hopefully you won't run into this...

I had brought all of Em's meds (Enzymes, albuterol, pulmozyme, flovent) from home. THe first nurse didn't say anything, but at shift change the new nurse had a bird becasue things were not "checked in," scooped everything up and took it to the hospital pharmacy. It took hours to get it back. Luckily I had extra enzymes in my purse so I could at least feed her, but her cpt schedule was all messed up becasue of it. I had no idea things needed to be checked in. I makes sense, I just didnt' think about it, nor did anyone in admissions or the first nurse.

I will be printing this thread when it's "finished" to put away for our first tune-up.

izemmom

izemmom

izemmom

izemmom

proverbs3

Since Faith has been diagnosed almost 2 years ago (and she's 11 now), we have been in the hospital 8 times anywhere lasting from 3 weeks to 8 weeks. Somebody already said hospitals are different and I think we are very fortunate with ours. We don't have any problems with meds or pt schedules. The only problem for us is the rooms are so darn small! Well after about the 3rd visit, I went and invested in one of those raised areobeds. Oh my goodness, life is so much better. We either took our own cot in or slept in one of their fold out beds, but then I still had to bring in a down mattress pad and egg foam crate to make it comfortable. But now, even in the small room, we make it work. They won't give CF patients a double room unless there is no choice and we were only in a big room 1 time!

We also took extra hangers. There were never any hangers!!! We have so many extra now, that I'm actually going to donate a huge bag of plastic hangers!!

As far as things to do. Faith and I do crafts and her and her dad read and play games. It's a nice break for her.

Good luck with everything and I loved everybody's ideas!

proverbs3

Since Faith has been diagnosed almost 2 years ago (and she's 11 now), we have been in the hospital 8 times anywhere lasting from 3 weeks to 8 weeks. Somebody already said hospitals are different and I think we are very fortunate with ours. We don't have any problems with meds or pt schedules. The only problem for us is the rooms are so darn small! Well after about the 3rd visit, I went and invested in one of those raised areobeds. Oh my goodness, life is so much better. We either took our own cot in or slept in one of their fold out beds, but then I still had to bring in a down mattress pad and egg foam crate to make it comfortable. But now, even in the small room, we make it work. They won't give CF patients a double room unless there is no choice and we were only in a big room 1 time!

We also took extra hangers. There were never any hangers!!! We have so many extra now, that I'm actually going to donate a huge bag of plastic hangers!!

As far as things to do. Faith and I do crafts and her and her dad read and play games. It's a nice break for her.

proverbs3

proverbs3

proverbs3

proverbs3

Philipians4four

I am 18, CF all my life, in and out of hospitals and the ONE thing I find most important is...

Having something to eat after waking up. If she is going to be sleep induced, make sure you have a drink ready for her as soon as she wakes up. And IF she is sleep induced, she will have to have not eaten past midnight the night before, which means she will be hungry ( I always was!). Most times the cafeteria can be called, and you can order something to be brought up. I'm tellin ya, it sounds silly but it is SO TRUE.

If she sleeps with something special, bring it and let her have it during any procedures. It always made things less scary for me.

If they have a playroom, get to know the peopel who run it. Their closets are always full of fun crafts and things to do.

Oh, and if YOU get hungry, the nurses always have menus! Dont hesitate to ask for one!

Hope that helps.

Philipians4four

I am 18, CF all my life, in and out of hospitals and the ONE thing I find most important is...

Having something to eat after waking up. If she is going to be sleep induced, make sure you have a drink ready for her as soon as she wakes up. And IF she is sleep induced, she will have to have not eaten past midnight the night before, which means she will be hungry ( I always was!). Most times the cafeteria can be called, and you can order something to be brought up. I'm tellin ya, it sounds silly but it is SO TRUE.

If she sleeps with something special, bring it and let her have it during any procedures. It always made things less scary for me.

If they have a playroom, get to know the peopel who run it. Their closets are always full of fun crafts and things to do.

Oh, and if YOU get hungry, the nurses always have menus! Dont hesitate to ask for one!

Hope that helps.

Philipians4four

Hope that helps.

Philipians4four

Hope that helps.