Megace aka Megestrol Acetate

theLostMiler

I was suggested to use Megace or Marinol before getting a feeding tube back in 2008 by my Infectious Diseases doctor.

I took it from May 2008 to July 2008 and went from 87 lbs to about 118 lbs... once I stopped taking it thought I settle down to about 115 lbs till about september/october of that year... I started school again and when I get busy I forget about eating so I started taking it again after losing some weight and peaked at 125 lbs! I settled down to about 118 though after stopping about a month later.

I had a hard winter and tried taking marinol instead but it just made me sick and never really gave me any munchies. Oh and I tried Periactin back in like 2006 and had absolutely no effect.

I have taken Megace the liquid and the pill, but at the time I wasnt taking a near high enough dose in pill form and didnt realize it until i switched back to the liquid. The liquid is nice b/c its can be once or twice a day. My side effects were missing periods (b/c its an anti-estrogen or something steriod, so thats why I think it messes it up, plus most people who use it are past menopause), and bloating. I dont recall any major hair loss if any for me.
Bloating was a huge deal for me though, which only bothered me really bad the second time I used it... so intead of a full dose I would take half the dose, b/c w/ a full dose I would eat and eat and not feel full ever so I would eat myself sick basically.

I finally discovered that having the weight stick was a matter of exercise... the first couple times I took it (only 2 months at a time max is all I ever did b/c I was told its not best to be on long term) the weight was considered just a "fat layer" but not too sustainable, so the last time I used it I was exercising and using the calories from eating into making muscle weight, when I stopped I have had such an easier time keeping the weight on

sorry so long, i actually like the drug, and all of my side effects were reversible, like missing periods and the "moon" face (b/c its a steroid so it makes you retain water I think) and with the exercising it helped disperse the weight from around my tummy and face to my legs and butt.

And like someone said, it almost makes the food taste better.

But maybe do what Liza said about starting with a lower dose adn building up or sticking with half a dose first. I didnt find it scary for me at all, and definitely helped keep the g0-tube topic at bay.

edited: you have to wein off of it b/c it affects your "flight or fight" hormone or something... which I dont really understand.

also w/ any steriod I did have some insomnia sometimes.

theLostMiler

I was suggested to use Megace or Marinol before getting a feeding tube back in 2008 by my Infectious Diseases doctor.

I took it from May 2008 to July 2008 and went from 87 lbs to about 118 lbs... once I stopped taking it thought I settle down to about 115 lbs till about september/october of that year... I started school again and when I get busy I forget about eating so I started taking it again after losing some weight and peaked at 125 lbs! I settled down to about 118 though after stopping about a month later.

I had a hard winter and tried taking marinol instead but it just made me sick and never really gave me any munchies. Oh and I tried Periactin back in like 2006 and had absolutely no effect.

I have taken Megace the liquid and the pill, but at the time I wasnt taking a near high enough dose in pill form and didnt realize it until i switched back to the liquid. The liquid is nice b/c its can be once or twice a day. My side effects were missing periods (b/c its an anti-estrogen or something steriod, so thats why I think it messes it up, plus most people who use it are past menopause), and bloating. I dont recall any major hair loss if any for me.
Bloating was a huge deal for me though, which only bothered me really bad the second time I used it... so intead of a full dose I would take half the dose, b/c w/ a full dose I would eat and eat and not feel full ever so I would eat myself sick basically.

I finally discovered that having the weight stick was a matter of exercise... the first couple times I took it (only 2 months at a time max is all I ever did b/c I was told its not best to be on long term) the weight was considered just a "fat layer" but not too sustainable, so the last time I used it I was exercising and using the calories from eating into making muscle weight, when I stopped I have had such an easier time keeping the weight on

sorry so long, i actually like the drug, and all of my side effects were reversible, like missing periods and the "moon" face (b/c its a steroid so it makes you retain water I think) and with the exercising it helped disperse the weight from around my tummy and face to my legs and butt.

But maybe do what Liza said about starting with a lower dose adn building up or sticking with half a dose first. I didnt find it scary for me at all, and definitely helped keep the g0-tube topic at bay.

edited: you have to wein off of it b/c it affects your "flight or fight" hormone or something... which I dont really understand.

theLostMiler

theLostMiler

theLostMiler

<br />
<br />I took it from May 2008 to July 2008 and went from 87 lbs to about 118 lbs... once I stopped taking it thought I settle down to about 115 lbs till about september/october of that year... I started school again and when I get busy I forget about eating so I started taking it again after losing some weight and peaked at 125 lbs! I settled down to about 118 though after stopping about a month later.
<br />
<br />I had a hard winter and tried taking marinol instead but it just made me sick and never really gave me any munchies. Oh and I tried Periactin back in like 2006 and had absolutely no effect.
<br />
<br />I have taken Megace the liquid and the pill, but at the time I wasnt taking a near high enough dose in pill form and didnt realize it until i switched back to the liquid. The liquid is nice b/c its can be once or twice a day. My side effects were missing periods (b/c its an anti-estrogen or something steriod, so thats why I think it messes it up, plus most people who use it are past menopause), and bloating. I dont recall any major hair loss if any for me.
<br />Bloating was a huge deal for me though, which only bothered me really bad the second time I used it... so intead of a full dose I would take half the dose, b/c w/ a full dose I would eat and eat and not feel full ever so I would eat myself sick basically.
<br />
<br />I finally discovered that having the weight stick was a matter of exercise... the first couple times I took it (only 2 months at a time max is all I ever did b/c I was told its not best to be on long term) the weight was considered just a "fat layer" but not too sustainable, so the last time I used it I was exercising and using the calories from eating into making muscle weight, when I stopped I have had such an easier time keeping the weight on
<br />
<br />sorry so long, i actually like the drug, and all of my side effects were reversible, like missing periods and the "moon" face (b/c its a steroid so it makes you retain water I think) and with the exercising it helped disperse the weight from around my tummy and face to my legs and butt.
<br />
<br />And like someone said, it almost makes the food taste better.
<br />
<br />But maybe do what Liza said about starting with a lower dose adn building up or sticking with half a dose first. I didnt find it scary for me at all, and definitely helped keep the g0-tube topic at bay.
<br />
<br />edited: you have to wein off of it b/c it affects your "flight or fight" hormone or something... which I dont really understand.
<br />
<br />also w/ any steriod I did have some insomnia sometimes.

cfgirl1992

I was on megase for about 6 years. I always struggled to gain weight and had no success with the gtube. During the years I was on megase i gained about 40 pounds. It worked better than anything I had ever tried, and I never had any problems with adverse effects. In my case, the benefits far outweighed the risks.

cfgirl1992

I was on megase for about 6 years. I always struggled to gain weight and had no success with the gtube. During the years I was on megase i gained about 40 pounds. It worked better than anything I had ever tried, and I never had any problems with adverse effects. In my case, the benefits far outweighed the risks.

cfgirl1992

cfgirl1992

cfgirl1992

ladybug

I agree 100% with bethylove... I have been on 10 mL per day for a couple weeks now to avoid a g-tube after a long virus that dropped me from 102, which was already low, to 95 in about 3 days. My experience is exactly like bethy's... its not so much that I FEEL super hungry, but when I sit to eat, I just eat and eat and eat... I also don't have that super bloated feeling after eating that I used to get. Not sure if that's due to the megace or not though.

I also want to mention that I'm supposed to be taking 20 mL per day, but I too was freaked out by the side effects of this hormone and wanted to see if 10 would work... So far so good. I may bump it up for a few weeks just to get those few pounds I lost back on, but we'll see.

One other thing I'm trying, in addition to the megace, is carnation instant breakfast VHC (very high calorie). You can google it and order it online. I will drink that when I'm not hungry between meals.

Best of luck. I know having to eat is a pain in the butt.

ladybug

I agree 100% with bethylove... I have been on 10 mL per day for a couple weeks now to avoid a g-tube after a long virus that dropped me from 102, which was already low, to 95 in about 3 days. My experience is exactly like bethy's... its not so much that I FEEL super hungry, but when I sit to eat, I just eat and eat and eat... I also don't have that super bloated feeling after eating that I used to get. Not sure if that's due to the megace or not though.

I also want to mention that I'm supposed to be taking 20 mL per day, but I too was freaked out by the side effects of this hormone and wanted to see if 10 would work... So far so good. I may bump it up for a few weeks just to get those few pounds I lost back on, but we'll see.

One other thing I'm trying, in addition to the megace, is carnation instant breakfast VHC (very high calorie). You can google it and order it online. I will drink that when I'm not hungry between meals.

ladybug

ladybug

ladybug

<br />
<br />I also want to mention that I'm supposed to be taking 20 mL per day, but I too was freaked out by the side effects of this hormone and wanted to see if 10 would work... So far so good. I may bump it up for a few weeks just to get those few pounds I lost back on, but we'll see.
<br />
<br />One other thing I'm trying, in addition to the megace, is carnation instant breakfast VHC (very high calorie). You can google it and order it online. I will drink that when I'm not hungry between meals.
<br />
<br />Best of luck. I know having to eat is a pain in the butt.