My grandmother tells me

TestifyToLove

See, I don't discount that sometimes healings do occur in some situations. And, I honestly thought at first she was talking about healing as in a cure in his lifetime.

There has already been improvement and yes healing in M's life. His GI says her testing says he should NOT be thriving. She doesn't understand how we're getting him to grow, but she's not going to do anything with his case right now because he IS thriving and growing.

And yes, I do think some of the improvements in his life are from prayers. I also think he will continue to improve in many areas. Therapy has dramatically improved his language and functionability. Medication has done wonders for his mental health and worked towards stabilizing his bipolar.

But, her definition of healing is a full fledged miracle with nothing left lingering for him. And, yes that is a slap in the face to me.

I'm not stupid. I know what I signed up for with this child. And I suppose her comments are better than most of my family that tells me he's broken and I need to get rid of him. But, I do feel that a full healing and a perfect body is not going to come for this child on this side of Heaven. And, grandma has repeatedly sent me emails but this was the first time I had to hear it in person.

Everytime I talk about his health, his challenges and the reality of his future (or lack thereof in his specific case) she does this. I'm not allowed to talk about things such as aggressive therapies because he doesn't NEED those things. He just needs me to wait for her miraculous healing and he won't need any of those things we've fought to give him and help him reclaim what is left of his health and his life.

TestifyToLove

See, I don't discount that sometimes healings do occur in some situations. And, I honestly thought at first she was talking about healing as in a cure in his lifetime.

There has already been improvement and yes healing in M's life. His GI says her testing says he should NOT be thriving. She doesn't understand how we're getting him to grow, but she's not going to do anything with his case right now because he IS thriving and growing.

And yes, I do think some of the improvements in his life are from prayers. I also think he will continue to improve in many areas. Therapy has dramatically improved his language and functionability. Medication has done wonders for his mental health and worked towards stabilizing his bipolar.

But, her definition of healing is a full fledged miracle with nothing left lingering for him. And, yes that is a slap in the face to me.

I'm not stupid. I know what I signed up for with this child. And I suppose her comments are better than most of my family that tells me he's broken and I need to get rid of him. But, I do feel that a full healing and a perfect body is not going to come for this child on this side of Heaven. And, grandma has repeatedly sent me emails but this was the first time I had to hear it in person.

Everytime I talk about his health, his challenges and the reality of his future (or lack thereof in his specific case) she does this. I'm not allowed to talk about things such as aggressive therapies because he doesn't NEED those things. He just needs me to wait for her miraculous healing and he won't need any of those things we've fought to give him and help him reclaim what is left of his health and his life.

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

<br />
<br />There has already been improvement and yes healing in M's life. His GI says her testing says he should NOT be thriving. She doesn't understand how we're getting him to grow, but she's not going to do anything with his case right now because he IS thriving and growing.
<br />
<br />And yes, I do think some of the improvements in his life are from prayers. I also think he will continue to improve in many areas. Therapy has dramatically improved his language and functionability. Medication has done wonders for his mental health and worked towards stabilizing his bipolar.
<br />
<br />But, her definition of healing is a full fledged miracle with nothing left lingering for him. And, yes that is a slap in the face to me.
<br />
<br />I'm not stupid. I know what I signed up for with this child. And I suppose her comments are better than most of my family that tells me he's broken and I need to get rid of him. But, I do feel that a full healing and a perfect body is not going to come for this child on this side of Heaven. And, grandma has repeatedly sent me emails but this was the first time I had to hear it in person.
<br />
<br />Everytime I talk about his health, his challenges and the reality of his future (or lack thereof in his specific case) she does this. I'm not allowed to talk about things such as aggressive therapies because he doesn't NEED those things. He just needs me to wait for her miraculous healing and he won't need any of those things we've fought to give him and help him reclaim what is left of his health and his life.

PedsNP2007

I used to have a lot more faith in God prior to my brother's death (and the few children I've gotten close to who have died in my unit).

My brother, with CF, lived his life to the fullest. I do THANK GOD that my brother was able to enjoy his life despite having an FEV1 20-30% during the last 15 years of his life. He never felt sorry for himself, he traveled to MANY phish concerts with his friends and best friend. He went to college, graduated in 5 years, and worked full time as an engineer. He fell in love and got married. Granted, he was physically slower than others, had difficult time maintaining weight (he had short gut syndrome due to mec ileus and having tons of small bowel removed at birth), and had to maintain a strict CF routine to stay "healthy." However, after his marriage, he decompensated, had right side heart failure due to his crappy lungs, went on o2 full-time, disability, slept many hours due to exhaustion, developed severe CFRD, needed NG feedings to *TRY* to maintain his crappy weight status, and had more hospitalizations than he did in his whole life combined. I became his home nurse (while in PNP school) because his wife needed to work to preserve her FMLA when he got his transplant. He got transplanted in March 2005, but died 3 weeks later after infection, inability to heal at one of the lung anastamosis site. He got a trach after the 3rd failed extubation (the breathing tube removed). He had a brief (3-4 days) time where he felt so good, couldn't believe he could breath so well! Unfortunately, that did not last long and he died in April.

I don't understand God's plan. I am grateful that my brother got the chance for a new life, had those few days where he felt that he was "normal" again (despite having a trach). I will never regret those months I spent with him, encouraging him to eat, placing his NG tubes, taking him to many dr appts, scratching/massaging his back since he liked that a lot, joking with him... Those moments I will NEVER forget and I am so grateful I was able to be that person to do that for him. I would do it all over in a heartbeat... though I would have pushed harder for things I think maybe would have changed the course of his disease/transplant.

HOWEVER, I do not THANK GOD that my brother was taken away. If God really had the power to heal him, why didn't he? I still question this day after day. It's severely affected how I truly believe in God. There are days that I think God does not want to help humans. Sometimes I get nightmares that my brother really is alive and this was all a trick. I feel that he is trying to punish us. There are days where I do think God is good and wants to help us. This is how I get by in my life.

I do recall this one proverb (16:9): "In his heart, a man plans his course, But the Lord determines his steps." It has helped me throughout life especially when trying to understand why things happen.

My brother's best line was "It is what it is" and that is what I hold onto. Not a day goes by that someone says that... I think it is my brother reaching out to me.

So, if some people seriously believe that God will cure them, so be it. I don't believe it because of what my brother (and our family) went through. I WILL NEVER EVER BELIEVE THAT GOD HAS THE POWER TO CURE DISEASE. If he does, then he was not caring for my brother and that's unacceptable to me. If it was me in my brother's shoes, that's fine -- I would rather it be me and save my siblings with CF from that horrible ending. You never forget the grief of a wife, mom and dad, sibling, and various extended family and friends during the dying process and the post-death activities.

I don't know if I had a point of this post, but thank you for letting me vent my various emotions... I figure that this is a good place with people who understand how I feel.

Jenn
31 yo cf

PedsNP2007

I used to have a lot more faith in God prior to my brother's death (and the few children I've gotten close to who have died in my unit).

My brother, with CF, lived his life to the fullest. I do THANK GOD that my brother was able to enjoy his life despite having an FEV1 20-30% during the last 15 years of his life. He never felt sorry for himself, he traveled to MANY phish concerts with his friends and best friend. He went to college, graduated in 5 years, and worked full time as an engineer. He fell in love and got married. Granted, he was physically slower than others, had difficult time maintaining weight (he had short gut syndrome due to mec ileus and having tons of small bowel removed at birth), and had to maintain a strict CF routine to stay "healthy." However, after his marriage, he decompensated, had right side heart failure due to his crappy lungs, went on o2 full-time, disability, slept many hours due to exhaustion, developed severe CFRD, needed NG feedings to *TRY* to maintain his crappy weight status, and had more hospitalizations than he did in his whole life combined. I became his home nurse (while in PNP school) because his wife needed to work to preserve her FMLA when he got his transplant. He got transplanted in March 2005, but died 3 weeks later after infection, inability to heal at one of the lung anastamosis site. He got a trach after the 3rd failed extubation (the breathing tube removed). He had a brief (3-4 days) time where he felt so good, couldn't believe he could breath so well! Unfortunately, that did not last long and he died in April.

I don't understand God's plan. I am grateful that my brother got the chance for a new life, had those few days where he felt that he was "normal" again (despite having a trach). I will never regret those months I spent with him, encouraging him to eat, placing his NG tubes, taking him to many dr appts, scratching/massaging his back since he liked that a lot, joking with him... Those moments I will NEVER forget and I am so grateful I was able to be that person to do that for him. I would do it all over in a heartbeat... though I would have pushed harder for things I think maybe would have changed the course of his disease/transplant.

HOWEVER, I do not THANK GOD that my brother was taken away. If God really had the power to heal him, why didn't he? I still question this day after day. It's severely affected how I truly believe in God. There are days that I think God does not want to help humans. Sometimes I get nightmares that my brother really is alive and this was all a trick. I feel that he is trying to punish us. There are days where I do think God is good and wants to help us. This is how I get by in my life.

I do recall this one proverb (16:9): "In his heart, a man plans his course, But the Lord determines his steps." It has helped me throughout life especially when trying to understand why things happen.

My brother's best line was "It is what it is" and that is what I hold onto. Not a day goes by that someone says that... I think it is my brother reaching out to me.

So, if some people seriously believe that God will cure them, so be it. I don't believe it because of what my brother (and our family) went through. I WILL NEVER EVER BELIEVE THAT GOD HAS THE POWER TO CURE DISEASE. If he does, then he was not caring for my brother and that's unacceptable to me. If it was me in my brother's shoes, that's fine -- I would rather it be me and save my siblings with CF from that horrible ending. You never forget the grief of a wife, mom and dad, sibling, and various extended family and friends during the dying process and the post-death activities.

I don't know if I had a point of this post, but thank you for letting me vent my various emotions... I figure that this is a good place with people who understand how I feel.

Jenn
31 yo cf

PedsNP2007

Jenn
31 yo cf

PedsNP2007

Jenn
31 yo cf

PedsNP2007

<br />
<br />My brother, with CF, lived his life to the fullest. I do THANK GOD that my brother was able to enjoy his life despite having an FEV1 20-30% during the last 15 years of his life. He never felt sorry for himself, he traveled to MANY phish concerts with his friends and best friend. He went to college, graduated in 5 years, and worked full time as an engineer. He fell in love and got married. Granted, he was physically slower than others, had difficult time maintaining weight (he had short gut syndrome due to mec ileus and having tons of small bowel removed at birth), and had to maintain a strict CF routine to stay "healthy." However, after his marriage, he decompensated, had right side heart failure due to his crappy lungs, went on o2 full-time, disability, slept many hours due to exhaustion, developed severe CFRD, needed NG feedings to *TRY* to maintain his crappy weight status, and had more hospitalizations than he did in his whole life combined. I became his home nurse (while in PNP school) because his wife needed to work to preserve her FMLA when he got his transplant. He got transplanted in March 2005, but died 3 weeks later after infection, inability to heal at one of the lung anastamosis site. He got a trach after the 3rd failed extubation (the breathing tube removed). He had a brief (3-4 days) time where he felt so good, couldn't believe he could breath so well! Unfortunately, that did not last long and he died in April.
<br />
<br />I don't understand God's plan. I am grateful that my brother got the chance for a new life, had those few days where he felt that he was "normal" again (despite having a trach). I will never regret those months I spent with him, encouraging him to eat, placing his NG tubes, taking him to many dr appts, scratching/massaging his back since he liked that a lot, joking with him... Those moments I will NEVER forget and I am so grateful I was able to be that person to do that for him. I would do it all over in a heartbeat... though I would have pushed harder for things I think maybe would have changed the course of his disease/transplant.
<br />
<br />HOWEVER, I do not THANK GOD that my brother was taken away. If God really had the power to heal him, why didn't he? I still question this day after day. It's severely affected how I truly believe in God. There are days that I think God does not want to help humans. Sometimes I get nightmares that my brother really is alive and this was all a trick. I feel that he is trying to punish us. There are days where I do think God is good and wants to help us. This is how I get by in my life.
<br />
<br />I do recall this one proverb (16:9): "In his heart, a man plans his course, But the Lord determines his steps." It has helped me throughout life especially when trying to understand why things happen.
<br />
<br />My brother's best line was "It is what it is" and that is what I hold onto. Not a day goes by that someone says that... I think it is my brother reaching out to me.
<br />
<br />So, if some people seriously believe that God will cure them, so be it. I don't believe it because of what my brother (and our family) went through. I WILL NEVER EVER BELIEVE THAT GOD HAS THE POWER TO CURE DISEASE. If he does, then he was not caring for my brother and that's unacceptable to me. If it was me in my brother's shoes, that's fine -- I would rather it be me and save my siblings with CF from that horrible ending. You never forget the grief of a wife, mom and dad, sibling, and various extended family and friends during the dying process and the post-death activities.
<br />
<br />I don't know if I had a point of this post, but thank you for letting me vent my various emotions... I figure that this is a good place with people who understand how I feel.
<br />
<br />Jenn
<br />31 yo cf

tabbycat821

When our son was first diagnosed I knew it was something we could handle because I believe that God knew we would be good parents for a child with any kind of health problems and thats why he gave us our son. My sister in law said God wouldn't give us something we couldn't handle, which I believe. I tend to say God only gives us what we can handle because everything happens for a reason even if we don't always knoow the reason.

tabbycat821

When our son was first diagnosed I knew it was something we could handle because I believe that God knew we would be good parents for a child with any kind of health problems and thats why he gave us our son. My sister in law said God wouldn't give us something we couldn't handle, which I believe. I tend to say God only gives us what we can handle because everything happens for a reason even if we don't always knoow the reason.

tabbycat821

tabbycat821

tabbycat821

M

Mommy2Zeke

I agree with most of the sentiments here. I'm a Christian but I get tired of people of the 'name it and claim it' crowd who believe that God's healing only means complete and total healing. God's healing does come in a variety of ways including that one, but to discount the fact that God can use our circumstances to make an impact in other people's lives is disheartening. Sure, I pray for a cure, and I pray my son's CF would be mild, but I don't expect that to happen. You take life as it is, not expecting and waiting for God to make it all better. My son's life will have meaning regardless of what he's afflicted with.

And Tabetha, I agree with you as well that God knows what we can and cannot handle. I definitely believe God knew what He was doing when he gave us our son.

M

Mommy2Zeke

I agree with most of the sentiments here. I'm a Christian but I get tired of people of the 'name it and claim it' crowd who believe that God's healing only means complete and total healing. God's healing does come in a variety of ways including that one, but to discount the fact that God can use our circumstances to make an impact in other people's lives is disheartening. Sure, I pray for a cure, and I pray my son's CF would be mild, but I don't expect that to happen. You take life as it is, not expecting and waiting for God to make it all better. My son's life will have meaning regardless of what he's afflicted with.

And Tabetha, I agree with you as well that God knows what we can and cannot handle. I definitely believe God knew what He was doing when he gave us our son.

M

Mommy2Zeke

M

Mommy2Zeke

M

Mommy2Zeke

<br />
<br />And Tabetha, I agree with you as well that God knows what we can and cannot handle. I definitely believe God knew what He was doing when he gave us our son.