Need advice on enzymes!

Mommy2Alysa

My daughter Alysa has been on enzymes (cotazyme 8) since November (when she was diagnosed at 18 months old) and what we found worked best was buying those individual cups of applesauce, or buying a big jar and putting it into a small bowl, and then mixing all her enzymes into the applesauce. Also, I am not sure what kind you are on but I was told to make sure she has a drink handy for after because if there are any little beads left in her mouth she can get sores.

Make sure you have more applesauce then enzyme in each bite and normally she doesnt even notice (or maybe she is just used to it). Of course she has her days where she refuses to take it and its a struggle but what two year old doesnt have bad days?

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Mommy2Alysa

My daughter Alysa has been on enzymes (cotazyme 8) since November (when she was diagnosed at 18 months old) and what we found worked best was buying those individual cups of applesauce, or buying a big jar and putting it into a small bowl, and then mixing all her enzymes into the applesauce. Also, I am not sure what kind you are on but I was told to make sure she has a drink handy for after because if there are any little beads left in her mouth she can get sores.

Make sure you have more applesauce then enzyme in each bite and normally she doesnt even notice (or maybe she is just used to it). Of course she has her days where she refuses to take it and its a struggle but what two year old doesnt have bad days?

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Problem is with mixing it in with a larger amount of food, they may not eat all of it, especially teeny tiny babies. I know one of the people at DS's preschool tried that once and ds filled up on applesauce and refused anything else.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Problem is with mixing it in with a larger amount of food, they may not eat all of it, especially teeny tiny babies. I know one of the people at DS's preschool tried that once and ds filled up on applesauce and refused anything else.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Mommy2Alysa

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Ratatosk</b></i>

Problem is with mixing it in with a larger amount of food, they may not eat all of it, especially teeny tiny babies. I know one of the people at DS's preschool tried that once and ds filled up on applesauce and refused anything else.</end quote></div>

I just open up an enzyme capsule on the top of the applesauce and then scoop it out that way. I dont mix it all up, sorry if you got that impression but when I do scoop it off the top I try and get a little extra applesauce and not just all enzymes.

Mommy2Alysa

Problem is with mixing it in with a larger amount of food, they may not eat all of it, especially teeny tiny babies. I know one of the people at DS's preschool tried that once and ds filled up on applesauce and refused anything else.</end quote></div>

I just open up an enzyme capsule on the top of the applesauce and then scoop it out that way. I dont mix it all up, sorry if you got that impression but when I do scoop it off the top I try and get a little extra applesauce and not just all enzymes.

Mommy2Alysa

Mommy2Alysa

Mommy2Alysa

Problem is with mixing it in with a larger amount of food, they may not eat all of it, especially teeny tiny babies. I know one of the people at DS's preschool tried that once and ds filled up on applesauce and refused anything else.</end quote>

Mommy2Alysa

Problem is with mixing it in with a larger amount of food, they may not eat all of it, especially teeny tiny babies. I know one of the people at DS's preschool tried that once and ds filled up on applesauce and refused anything else.</end quote>

mtgreen30

Our docs always said never to use bananas because the acidy would break down the enzymes before they got to his stomach. Another option might be to use a powered enzyme like Viokase(?). We did this when my son wouldn't swallow anything so we used the powered form in his g-tube.

mtgreen30

Our docs always said never to use bananas because the acidy would break down the enzymes before they got to his stomach. Another option might be to use a powered enzyme like Viokase(?). We did this when my son wouldn't swallow anything so we used the powered form in his g-tube.

mtgreen30

mtgreen30

mtgreen30

mtgreen30