Need Help with Enzymes and Breastfeeding please!

heatherrose415

I have been on here before, at least a year ago. We still don't have an official diagnosis of CF but my 4 yr old has been pancreatic insufficient and my now 1 yr old has been diagnosed pancreatic insufficient. I am having a REALLY hard time giving him the enzymes when he wants to breastfeed. He breastfeeds on demand, and because his IgG is low the Dr. doesn't want me to quit breastfeeding any time soon. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? I have tried putting it in yogurt/pudding, etc.... but my problem is when he wants to eat he wants to eat NOW and doesn't handle it well when I get up to get the stuff ready and try to feed him the enzymes. Its physically and emotionally draining on me as well. I was just hoping some of you may have more tricks/experience up your sleeve??

Thanks!
Heather

heatherrose415

I have been on here before, at least a year ago. We still don't have an official diagnosis of CF but my 4 yr old has been pancreatic insufficient and my now 1 yr old has been diagnosed pancreatic insufficient. I am having a REALLY hard time giving him the enzymes when he wants to breastfeed. He breastfeeds on demand, and because his IgG is low the Dr. doesn't want me to quit breastfeeding any time soon. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? I have tried putting it in yogurt/pudding, etc.... but my problem is when he wants to eat he wants to eat NOW and doesn't handle it well when I get up to get the stuff ready and try to feed him the enzymes. Its physically and emotionally draining on me as well. I was just hoping some of you may have more tricks/experience up your sleeve??

Thanks!
Heather

heatherrose415

Thanks!
Heather

heatherrose415

Thanks!
Heather

heatherrose415

<br />
<br />Thanks!
<br />Heather

S

sdelorenzo

One of my children's dr recommended giving enzymes during and after the meal. Maybe your son would prefer that?
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 8 and Jack, 6 both with cf, Grant, 8 months no cf

S

sdelorenzo

One of my children's dr recommended giving enzymes during and after the meal. Maybe your son would prefer that?

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 8 and Jack, 6 both with cf, Grant, 8 months no cf

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I used a smtwtfs weekly pill container and would empty 2-3 enzyme capsules (what DS took for a bottle) into each section. That way in the middle of the night, I just quickly scooped a baby spoon into the baby bananas I kept in the fridge, dumped the enzymes onto the spoon and popped them into his mouth.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I used a smtwtfs weekly pill container and would empty 2-3 enzyme capsules (what DS took for a bottle) into each section. That way in the middle of the night, I just quickly scooped a baby spoon into the baby bananas I kept in the fridge, dumped the enzymes onto the spoon and popped them into his mouth.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

O

Olymama

When River was that young I had a little Tupperware of applesauce that I would have by my side and would use a baby spoon or pinky and poor the enzymes on it. I had it by my bed at night, along with hand sanitizer. Be sure to change the applesauce and container frequently.
I feel for you, I remember how exhausting those days were. It does get better. I still breastfeed, maybe once during night (and a few times during day) and I just poor the enzymes in his mouth.
I am so happy I still breastfeed him. There are times when he's not feeling well and that's all he will want. Although its getting less so.
take care.

O

Olymama

When River was that young I had a little Tupperware of applesauce that I would have by my side and would use a baby spoon or pinky and poor the enzymes on it. I had it by my bed at night, along with hand sanitizer. Be sure to change the applesauce and container frequently.
I feel for you, I remember how exhausting those days were. It does get better. I still breastfeed, maybe once during night (and a few times during day) and I just poor the enzymes in his mouth.
I am so happy I still breastfeed him. There are times when he's not feeling well and that's all he will want. Although its getting less so.
take care.

O

Olymama

take care.

O

Olymama

take care.

O

Olymama

<br />I feel for you, I remember how exhausting those days were. It does get better. I still breastfeed, maybe once during night (and a few times during day) and I just poor the enzymes in his mouth.
<br />I am so happy I still breastfeed him. There are times when he's not feeling well and that's all he will want. Although its getting less so.
<br />take care.