Night sweats [updated 5/3/08]

SaltyAndSweet

Night sweats

I'd like to add to AnD's post. I totally agree with what she said. But there is also one other possible cause. Very similar though. I don't know if I can describe it as eloquently though. (good job AnD!)

After eating carbs, and your blood sugar rises, our pancreas starts producing the insulin... just like what AnD said. Not only is it slower to react, but it has a tendency to OVERreact since the pancreas believes we have a higher amount of sugar in our system, since it is slower at chasing the sugar level up the hill. This dumps more insulin in our system than we actually need. And this also causes a hypo.

I learned this from the wonderful gals at Medtronic who are helping some of us with insulin pumps. (or will be once I get one! darned insurance)

SaltyAndSweet

Night sweats

I'd like to add to AnD's post. I totally agree with what she said. But there is also one other possible cause. Very similar though. I don't know if I can describe it as eloquently though. (good job AnD!)

After eating carbs, and your blood sugar rises, our pancreas starts producing the insulin... just like what AnD said. Not only is it slower to react, but it has a tendency to OVERreact since the pancreas believes we have a higher amount of sugar in our system, since it is slower at chasing the sugar level up the hill. This dumps more insulin in our system than we actually need. And this also causes a hypo.

I learned this from the wonderful gals at Medtronic who are helping some of us with insulin pumps. (or will be once I get one! darned insurance)

SaltyAndSweet

Night sweats

SaltyAndSweet

Night sweats

SaltyAndSweet

Night sweats

<br />
<br />After eating carbs, and your blood sugar rises, our pancreas starts producing the insulin... just like what AnD said. Not only is it slower to react, but it has a tendency to OVERreact since the pancreas believes we have a higher amount of sugar in our system, since it is slower at chasing the sugar level up the hill. This dumps more insulin in our system than we actually need. And this also causes a hypo.
<br />
<br />I learned this from the wonderful gals at Medtronic who are helping some of us with insulin pumps. (or will be once I get one! darned insurance)

ladybug

Night sweats

Great descriptions of what happens with our glucose levels!!! I have also been told the "sluggish" reaction story for my CFRD. I sometimes don't even get very high, but all of a sudden will plummet, so its not always only with simple carbs, which I figured it was.

I knew Grape Nuts was super high in carbs! Isn't that weird?!? Its supposed to be so "grainy" and full of goodness and yet its loaded with sugar. Urgh. I remember I used to eat the stuff like it was being discontinued every day and night and now I don't eat it at all and my glucose seems more managable at night.

I also agree with balancing out the proteins with the carbs. That is what I've always been told to do. For example if I have a Dr. Pepper, which is all simple carbs, I eat a ton of nuts or peanut butter or something about 15-20 minutes earlier (the protein takes longer to reach where it needs to go, so I've been told to eat the protein a bit before the simple sugar in order to have them reach the pancreas at the same time... interesting!) This could be why even though I'm eating whole milk with grape nuts at night, the grape nuts would rush to my pancreas and cause a spike in blood sugar and then about 20-30 mins. later the protein would show up (about when my sluggish insulin was also kicking in... meaning double whammy! So my insulin is kicking in trying to lower the sugar at the same time my protein I ate was kicking in and balancing out the sugar... Wham-O! All of a sudden I'm at 40 blood glucose about an hour after eating my grape nuts cause now everything has "caught up".)

Anyway, keep us posted. I go in for a sleep study next week and will also keep you posted since I'm doing it just for the night sweats and possible sleep apnea.

Good luck!

ladybug

Night sweats

Great descriptions of what happens with our glucose levels!!! I have also been told the "sluggish" reaction story for my CFRD. I sometimes don't even get very high, but all of a sudden will plummet, so its not always only with simple carbs, which I figured it was.

I knew Grape Nuts was super high in carbs! Isn't that weird?!? Its supposed to be so "grainy" and full of goodness and yet its loaded with sugar. Urgh. I remember I used to eat the stuff like it was being discontinued every day and night and now I don't eat it at all and my glucose seems more managable at night.

I also agree with balancing out the proteins with the carbs. That is what I've always been told to do. For example if I have a Dr. Pepper, which is all simple carbs, I eat a ton of nuts or peanut butter or something about 15-20 minutes earlier (the protein takes longer to reach where it needs to go, so I've been told to eat the protein a bit before the simple sugar in order to have them reach the pancreas at the same time... interesting!) This could be why even though I'm eating whole milk with grape nuts at night, the grape nuts would rush to my pancreas and cause a spike in blood sugar and then about 20-30 mins. later the protein would show up (about when my sluggish insulin was also kicking in... meaning double whammy! So my insulin is kicking in trying to lower the sugar at the same time my protein I ate was kicking in and balancing out the sugar... Wham-O! All of a sudden I'm at 40 blood glucose about an hour after eating my grape nuts cause now everything has "caught up".)

Anyway, keep us posted. I go in for a sleep study next week and will also keep you posted since I'm doing it just for the night sweats and possible sleep apnea.

Good luck!

ladybug

Night sweats

Good luck!

ladybug

Night sweats

Good luck!

ladybug

Night sweats

<br />
<br />I knew Grape Nuts was super high in carbs! Isn't that weird?!? Its supposed to be so "grainy" and full of goodness and yet its loaded with sugar. Urgh. I remember I used to eat the stuff like it was being discontinued every day and night and now I don't eat it at all and my glucose seems more managable at night.
<br />
<br />I also agree with balancing out the proteins with the carbs. That is what I've always been told to do. For example if I have a Dr. Pepper, which is all simple carbs, I eat a ton of nuts or peanut butter or something about 15-20 minutes earlier (the protein takes longer to reach where it needs to go, so I've been told to eat the protein a bit before the simple sugar in order to have them reach the pancreas at the same time... interesting!) This could be why even though I'm eating whole milk with grape nuts at night, the grape nuts would rush to my pancreas and cause a spike in blood sugar and then about 20-30 mins. later the protein would show up (about when my sluggish insulin was also kicking in... meaning double whammy! So my insulin is kicking in trying to lower the sugar at the same time my protein I ate was kicking in and balancing out the sugar... Wham-O! All of a sudden I'm at 40 blood glucose about an hour after eating my grape nuts cause now everything has "caught up".)
<br />
<br />Anyway, keep us posted. I go in for a sleep study next week and will also keep you posted since I'm doing it just for the night sweats and possible sleep apnea.
<br />
<br />Good luck!

ajaju

Night sweats

Take enough rest..
Try wicking PJ's and bed sheets to keep you dry from night sweats so that you do not have to loose your sleep over changing in middle of night
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.sunherald.com/447/story/409078.html">http://www.sunherald.com/447/story/409078.html</a>
I found rickandjune.com with nice selection of pj's

ajaju

Night sweats

Take enough rest..
Try wicking PJ's and bed sheets to keep you dry from night sweats so that you do not have to loose your sleep over changing in middle of night
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.sunherald.com/447/story/409078.html">http://www.sunherald.com/447/story/409078.html</a>

ajaju

Night sweats

Take enough rest..

ajaju

Night sweats

Take enough rest..

ajaju

Night sweats

Take enough rest..
<br />Try wicking PJ's and bed sheets to keep you dry from night sweats so that you do not have to loose your sleep over changing in middle of night
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.sunherald.com/447/story/409078.html">http://www.sunherald.com/447/story/409078.html</a>
<br />I found rickandjune.com with nice selection of pj's