Okay I Can't Stand This.

Wheezie

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>littledebbie</b></i>

To me this is just about respecting peoples choices who chose to acknowledge where they are when they are in their final stage and finding words for them other than "keep up the fight" or "don't get depressed" whatever other version, just because it makes the person saying it feel better it's actually rather insulting and of no help at all to the person you're saying it to.</end quote>

I completely agree

Wheezie

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>littledebbie</b></i>

To me this is just about respecting peoples choices who chose to acknowledge where they are when they are in their final stage and finding words for them other than "keep up the fight" or "don't get depressed" whatever other version, just because it makes the person saying it feel better it's actually rather insulting and of no help at all to the person you're saying it to.</end quote>

I completely agree

littledebbie

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>touchdown</b></i>

The patient may not agree at the time but if they make it, they will be happy that they were given that extra chance.
</end quote></div>

I will only accept that if it's a child. As in, an under 18 child.

littledebbie

The patient may not agree at the time but if they make it, they will be happy that they were given that extra chance.
</end quote></div>

littledebbie

</end quote></div>

littledebbie

</end quote></div>

littledebbie

</end quote>

littledebbie

</end quote>

catboogie

emily, i agree with you. i thought the same thing after reading lo's update.

to add another dimention of controversy, i think bringing religion into it -- "it's not her time..." further complicates matters. this isn't something that should be <i>put on </i>someone's conscious when they are near death, unless they choose. in this case, it didn't seem that way to me, though.

catboogie

to add another dimention of controversy, i think bringing religion into it -- "it's not her time..." further complicates matters. this isn't something that should be <i>put on </i>someone's conscious when they are near death, unless they choose. in this case, it didn't seem that way to me, though.

catboogie

catboogie

catboogie

catboogie

Debi

What timing you have Em! My daughter and I were just talking about this issue yesterday. Ever since I was a child I have been puzzled by the fact that most of the people I knew who attended church were always talking to me about how wonderful it was going to be to go to heaven and have eternal life. This was our ultimate goal. Yet, whenever it came time for them or one of their loved ones to die, they were begging and moaning and pulling out all stops to avoid that glorious goal. I didn't get it then, and I still don't. If God has a plan (as is so often written here) and heaven is such a great place, why do people fight the plan so darned hard and do everything they can to avoid heaven?

As for the children, wow, that's a tough one. I don't know at what age kids can have the major say-so. My husband is a pediatric oncology nurse, and at least once a week he has a kid, usually between 12-16 ask to talk him in private to cry and explain that they are so tired of fighting, but that they HAVE to because otherwise they'll be responsible for ruining their parents' lives. Isn't that sad? Kids tell him they feel like prisoners inside their bodies. They hate the endless puking, nausea, loss of hair, total exhaustion, with no end in sight. But they are afraid to tell their parents. Personally, I just think parents need to give the kids a chance to vent all that. Then maybe the kids can find more strength to fight the disease instead of having to use their energy telling lies and putting on a good face for mom and dad.

Bless us all for having to make such difficult choices, and for supporting each other regardless of what we personally decide.

Debi

What timing you have Em! My daughter and I were just talking about this issue yesterday. Ever since I was a child I have been puzzled by the fact that most of the people I knew who attended church were always talking to me about how wonderful it was going to be to go to heaven and have eternal life. This was our ultimate goal. Yet, whenever it came time for them or one of their loved ones to die, they were begging and moaning and pulling out all stops to avoid that glorious goal. I didn't get it then, and I still don't. If God has a plan (as is so often written here) and heaven is such a great place, why do people fight the plan so darned hard and do everything they can to avoid heaven?

As for the children, wow, that's a tough one. I don't know at what age kids can have the major say-so. My husband is a pediatric oncology nurse, and at least once a week he has a kid, usually between 12-16 ask to talk him in private to cry and explain that they are so tired of fighting, but that they HAVE to because otherwise they'll be responsible for ruining their parents' lives. Isn't that sad? Kids tell him they feel like prisoners inside their bodies. They hate the endless puking, nausea, loss of hair, total exhaustion, with no end in sight. But they are afraid to tell their parents. Personally, I just think parents need to give the kids a chance to vent all that. Then maybe the kids can find more strength to fight the disease instead of having to use their energy telling lies and putting on a good face for mom and dad.

Bless us all for having to make such difficult choices, and for supporting each other regardless of what we personally decide.

Debi

Debi

Debi

Debi