OMG, I'm doing it!

imported_Momto2

Incomundrox, are you asking me? If so, two years ago during the fall/winter/part of spring, my lungs were the worst they've ever been. Did not have them tested at the time, but it was bad enough that walking up a flight of stairs was exhausting and would leave me breathless and panting. I couldnt sleep for more than 2 hours at a time without doing a nebbie. I decided to get my butt in gear and started walking on the treadmill (very slowly at first) and doing some weight training, and a few months later, I'd built up to some slow jogging. At that point my FEV was about 50% or a little bit lower. I used to puke or get really dizzy after every session or fall off the treadmill I was coughing so hard- it was really difficult for me. After a year of building up my speed and endurance, they went up to 55%. Another 3 months 58%, another 3 months, 65%. That is running at least 3-8 miles every single day, I only take 1-2 days off per month. I'm not going to break any speed records here, but I do the 5K in about 28 minutes and a 10K in under an hour. I added swimming and biking to my workouts and that has only improved everything. I feel so much better and today was running around with my husband and kids playing football and frisbee.....utterly fabulous. I dont know how long it will last, but I am going to enjoy it while it does!

imported_Momto2

Incomundrox, are you asking me? If so, two years ago during the fall/winter/part of spring, my lungs were the worst they've ever been. Did not have them tested at the time, but it was bad enough that walking up a flight of stairs was exhausting and would leave me breathless and panting. I couldnt sleep for more than 2 hours at a time without doing a nebbie. I decided to get my butt in gear and started walking on the treadmill (very slowly at first) and doing some weight training, and a few months later, I'd built up to some slow jogging. At that point my FEV was about 50% or a little bit lower. I used to puke or get really dizzy after every session or fall off the treadmill I was coughing so hard- it was really difficult for me. After a year of building up my speed and endurance, they went up to 55%. Another 3 months 58%, another 3 months, 65%. That is running at least 3-8 miles every single day, I only take 1-2 days off per month. I'm not going to break any speed records here, but I do the 5K in about 28 minutes and a 10K in under an hour. I added swimming and biking to my workouts and that has only improved everything. I feel so much better and today was running around with my husband and kids playing football and frisbee.....utterly fabulous. I dont know how long it will last, but I am going to enjoy it while it does!

imported_Momto2

B

bookworm

That is fabulous progress. You have worked really hard and it's great to see your PFT's going up. I am SO glad you are enjoying your feeling of well being having fun with your family.

I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to ask you for your advice on how to keep building up stamina and exercise tolerance without getting sick and/or becoming really fatigued. Do you switch between activities, have days that have less intensity,"and/or just read/know your body really well? Or does getting sick and or really fatigued just tell you that you need to adjust your medications/supplements to increase your exercise tolerance?

I'd love to be running 3-8 miles a day, but I keep getting really fatigued and/or having my symptoms/infections increase.

B

bookworm

That is fabulous progress. You have worked really hard and it's great to see your PFT's going up. I am SO glad you are enjoying your feeling of well being having fun with your family.

I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to ask you for your advice on how to keep building up stamina and exercise tolerance without getting sick and/or becoming really fatigued. Do you switch between activities, have days that have less intensity,"and/or just read/know your body really well? Or does getting sick and or really fatigued just tell you that you need to adjust your medications/supplements to increase your exercise tolerance?

I'd love to be running 3-8 miles a day, but I keep getting really fatigued and/or having my symptoms/infections increase.

B

bookworm

<br />
<br />I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to ask you for your advice on how to keep building up stamina and exercise tolerance without getting sick and/or becoming really fatigued. Do you switch between activities, have days that have less intensity,"and/or just read/know your body really well? Or does getting sick and or really fatigued just tell you that you need to adjust your medications/supplements to increase your exercise tolerance?
<br />
<br />I'd love to be running 3-8 miles a day, but I keep getting really fatigued and/or having my symptoms/infections increase.
<br />
<br />

imported_Momto2

Thanks for the kind comments folks. Bookworm, I kept building up stamina by doing just a little bit more each week. I would push until I couldnt catch my breath, or got sick to my stomach. And then I would start again once I was on my feet, and kept it up until my lungs felt clearer, even if it took 2 hours. If I get sick, I still do as much as I possible can, for that particular day, but I make sure my butt is on that treadmill and working. I also always do nebbies while I am walking or running. They are a lot more effective that way. My goal is always to have a better day tomorrow. The only script meds I take regularly now are 3% hypertonic, advair, albuterol, and theophylline. oops, my six year old just came down for a hug and help doing her hair. Now THAT is one of the main reasons I do all this : ) gotta run

imported_Momto2

Thanks for the kind comments folks. Bookworm, I kept building up stamina by doing just a little bit more each week. I would push until I couldnt catch my breath, or got sick to my stomach. And then I would start again once I was on my feet, and kept it up until my lungs felt clearer, even if it took 2 hours. If I get sick, I still do as much as I possible can, for that particular day, but I make sure my butt is on that treadmill and working. I also always do nebbies while I am walking or running. They are a lot more effective that way. My goal is always to have a better day tomorrow. The only script meds I take regularly now are 3% hypertonic, advair, albuterol, and theophylline. oops, my six year old just came down for a hug and help doing her hair. Now THAT is one of the main reasons I do all this : ) gotta run

imported_Momto2

D

Deb

Congratulations to you! Thanks for sharing your accomplishments. I, too, have finally reached the point that I know I have to exercise and fortunately I've found a gym I love. I've been working out for about three months now and go back for a check up in early November. I'm really hoping to see some improvement in my lung function.

D

Deb

Congratulations to you! Thanks for sharing your accomplishments. I, too, have finally reached the point that I know I have to exercise and fortunately I've found a gym I love. I've been working out for about three months now and go back for a check up in early November. I'm really hoping to see some improvement in my lung function.

D

Deb

B

bookworm

Sarajerome,

Thanks for the tips and sharing the details of your success!

B

bookworm

Sarajerome,

Thanks for the tips and sharing the details of your success!

B

bookworm

Sarajerome,
<br />
<br />Thanks for the tips and sharing the details of your success!

HisAngel

BRAVO!!

Major Congratulations! Keep up the good work and believe in your own bodies ability to do what it needs to when given the right tools (ie;nutrition and exercise). Your definitely an inspiration!

Best Wishes!